Upcoming Sacred Heart game | The Boneyard

Upcoming Sacred Heart game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Sacred Heart website is now showing the UConn game that was to be played on March 10 will now be played on March 11, at 3:30. It does not list a site for the game.

Reaction Score
I doubt there will be a snow free site anywhere in CT for at least 3 more weeks. If I remember correctly, last year, same scenario, therefore the game was moved to an indoor venue on Long Island. I believe this is the closest indoor venue that would be acceptable for a college game at this level. The new date is probably the closest available date to when the game was originally scheduled.
I do wish this game could be scheduled for April, as it was scheduled for the Bluefish stadium in Bridgeport. Good exposure in Fairfield county in a nice minor league park.

Reaction Score
Last year this game was moved to a place called Baseball Heaven, in Yaphank, New York, on Long Island. Judging from the photos on the Baseball Heaven website, it appears to be an outside venue.

Reaction Score
Last year this game was moved to a place called Baseball Heaven, in Yaphank, New York, on Long Island. Judging from the photos on the Baseball Heaven website, it appears to be an outside venue.

Been there for son's AAU - nice complex w/ artificial turf.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
First available date where both teams could reasonably play each other would be March 23 but SHU has 4 games in the previous 3 days. Not sure they would want to play 5 games in 4 days.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm about as a big a grass field purist as you can get, but a plow-able turf field would be nice.

mets1090

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/031015aab.html

Game to be held at Stony Brook tomorrow at 3 pm. No spectators allowed. UConn will bat in the bottom half. I assume this counts as a neutral site game for RPI.

The UConn baseball game at Sacred Heart originally set for Tuesday, March 10 has been rescheduled and will now be played on Wednesday, March 11 at Joe Nathan Field in Stony Brook, N.Y. Game time is set for 3 p.m. and the Huskies will serve as the home team. The facility will not be open to spectators due to unsafe seating conditions.

mets1090

Reaction Score
SHU goes down 1-2-3 in the top half of the first.

UConn had an eventful bottom half. A hit by pitch and walk to start things off followed by a double steal. Davey struck out but Melley hit a sac fly to make it 1-0. McDowell followed up with a 2 run homer to make it 3-0. Derouche-Duffin got an infield single which was followed by a Daniello triple to make it 4-0. Then a wild pitch made it 5-0.

SHU is 0-8 on the season so UConn should continue to take care of business today. Just need the pitching to remain solid.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Ugh 5-4 in the top of the 4th. Zapata has fallen apart.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Radue dug himself in a hole there but got out of it with no harm done. Offense needs to tack on some runs.

mets1090

Reaction Score
UConn probably beats that team 9 times out of 10. While it is an expected win, it's the type of bad loss you need to avoid so good job by the guys taking care of business today.

All in all the team played a complete game today. The bullpen was very solid outside of Radue having some command issues in the 6th. Offense put up 8 runs which is always a solid output. Strange to see Zapata come unraveled like he did today but he'll be fine as the season goes on.

On to South Carolina...

Reaction Score
I had cataract surgery on one of my eyes today, so my eye sight has been rather interesting today. It's just gotten to the point where I can almost read and write again, but just barely. Whether or not any of this makes any sense is another story. On the plus side, I was able to spend my afternoon recovery time listening to the game instead of being unable to listen in at work.

Zapata did well for three innings, then imploded. As a result, Ryan Radue got some work. He was on the wild side, was able get through his inning plus not allowing any runs. I was kind of hoping Penders would leave him in for another inning, but instead Penders did the sensible thing and put Devin Over in to pitch the 6th inning. As Penders said in the post game interview, he wanted to take Radue out on a high note, and that certainly makes sense to me. While Over, Darras, and Ruotolo have emerged as the main late inning guys out of the pen this year, I'm sure we're going to be seeing more of Radue and Holmes in the weeks to come, especially since UConn is coming to the stage of the schedule where the Huskies more often than not are slated to be playing five games a week.

Reaction Score
One more thing. Nico Darras was terrific pitching the 8th inning today. It really is amazing that Darras (or the Mad Hungarian, take your pick) has been as effective as he has been, considering he just made the conversion to pitching this past year. The other amazing thing is that Penders came to trust Darras with key innings right from the start of the season. Usually Penders has more or less a trial and error period in coming to trust a pitcher with key relief innings. However, Penders went with Darras and trusted him right from the start of the season.

Reaction Score
Wish I could make the couple of hours drive over to Greenville this weekend but won't be able to make it. Went when they played at that ballpark a couple of years ago. It is like Fenway Park with a green monster out in left field so it will be interesting to see how many balls fly out of the park this weekend with the new baseballs. Power has certainly been up this year.

Reaction Score
I had cataract surgery on one of my eyes today, so my eye sight has been rather interesting today. It's just gotten to the point where I can almost read and write again, but just barely. Whether or not any of this makes any sense is another story. On the plus side, I was able to spend my afternoon recovery time listening to the game instead of being unable to listen in at work.

Zapata did well for three innings, then imploded. As a result, Ryan Radue got some work. He was on the wild side, was able get through his inning plus not allowing any runs. I was kind of hoping Penders would leave him in for another inning, but instead Penders did the sensible thing and put Devin Over in to pitch the 6th inning. As Penders said in the post game interview, he wanted to take Radue out on a high note, and that certainly makes sense to me. While Over, Darras, and Ruotolo have emerged as the main late inning guys out of the pen this year, I'm sure we're going to be seeing more of Radue and Holmes in the weeks to come, especially since UConn is coming to the stage of the schedule where the Huskies more often than not are slated to be playing five games a week.

You will love the results of your cataract surgery. I had it. A life changer. It make you better able to do almost anything.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I was kind of hoping Penders would leave him in for another inning, but instead Penders did the sensible thing...
I love this sentence.

Reaction Score
Wish I could make the couple of hours drive over to Greenville this weekend but won't be able to make it. Went when they played at that ballpark a couple of years ago. It is like Fenway Park with a green monster out in left field so it will be interesting to see how many balls fly out of the park this weekend with the new baseballs. Power has certainly been up this year.

So how does that make sense??? Dumb down the bats with BBCOR ... only to juice up the baseballs a few years later???

mets1090

Reaction Score
So how does that make sense??? Dumb down the bats with BBCOR ... only to juice up the baseballs a few years later???
They nerfed the bats theoretically for safety reasons. Then power plummeted and it's all anyone talked about during the CWS (anyone that actually talks about college baseball anyways).

I'm guessing juicing the balls up is a nice way to go back on that without blatantly saying we care more about homerun numbers than the safety of pitchers (or whatever other reason caused them to take power away from the bats in the first place).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom