UMASS and AAC need each other | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMASS and AAC need each other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the AAC were to lose teams, where would we think they'd look for backfill? My first instincts would be Western Kentucky (good basketball, OK football), Old Dominion (same), La Tech (good basketball, pretty good football), or Marshall (basketball sucks, but adding a brand-name football program could have some benefits), but I could also see FIU, Buffalo, Southern Miss, Georgia State, and maybe UMass, depending on who it is that gets poached.

the mere thought that we'd play conference games against ANY of those schools makes me want to slit my wrists.

Reaction Score
This is such a silly thread. Sorry Carl, you're so far from reality its not even fun making fun of your post.

I went to Tulane twice last year. Once for the football game and the next time for the basketball game which felt like a high school Gym. Believe me, playing UMASS in basketball is not as silly as playing before 2500 people against Tulane, 2,000 miles away from Storrs!

Reaction Score
A Jersey Guy on the merit of UMASS creatively joining the American.
He's talking about bringing them in for all sports except football and then
letting them work in football over time, kind of like Notre Dame was in the
Big East and now in the ACC. Because Navy isn't in for Basketball that might work. I think
the concept has potential. UCONN really needs some local rivalries.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=12338
Only two teams in the AAC will gain any Benifit from adding UMass
That would be UConn and Temple. The rest of the league would view a winter trip to Amherst as joyfully as a root canal.
Even if UConn manages to escape they don't want another northern team.
The travel for basketball was difficult for us and one more local game certainly would help.but we won't champion UMass as it would be like an admission
that despite our success we have actually gone nowhere. It would be a white flag.
UMass's lukewarm commitment to football put them way back on Aresco's vision
of the AAC
He still has hopes of bigger prizes and bigger contracts ,UMass doesn't fit the vision.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I have nothing against UMass and don't like seeing them caught up in limbo.

But I don't know how this works for the American.

This is a conference with an image and an income problem - UMass makes both worse.

Beyond that, you have to add another team with UMass.....I cannot imagine who that would be.
It's a slippery slope. Our conference is loaded with fanbases that still think CUSA was a power conference, and would love to get to playing Southern Miss or Marshall. If we were pronounced as being locked in to the AAC for eternity, with no hope of any escape, then I'm fine with UMass. We could easily shed 2 schools from this greasefire and be better off for it.

Reaction Score
I have nothing against UMass and don't like seeing them caught up in limbo.

But I don't know how this works for the American.

This is a conference with an image and an income problem - UMass makes both worse.

Beyond that, you have to add another team with UMass.....I cannot imagine who that would be.

Fishy, take some time to read the article. Blaudschun suggests letting UMASS in for all sports EXCEPT football. Navy is just football. He adds that they could schedule 6 OOC games with AAC teams and let them prove themselves over time. They would be quasi Independent and highly motivated to build their football program.
They had a better football team than we had last year. They lost to Colorado and Vanderbilt by a total of 6 points! Adding them for Basketball and other sports wouldn't hurt anything.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fishy, take some time to read the article. Blaudschun suggests letting UMASS in for all sports EXCEPT football. Navy is just football. He adds that they could schedule 6 OOC games with AAC teams and let them prove themselves over time. They would be quasi Independent and highly motivated to build their football program.
They had a better football team than we had last year. They lost to Colorado and Vanderbilt by a total of 6 points! Adding them for Basketball and other sports wouldn't hurt anything.

I read it - you didn't.

Or at least you didn't understand it.

The piece advocates UMass joining the American in all sports via some convoluted scheduling plan that culminates with the American expanding to 14 schools in all sports.

"If the American Conference is smart, it will use UMass in basketball to build much needed rivalries and it will eventually absorb the Minutemen in football in a 14 team league..."

No, it wouldn't.

And for giggles, try to imagine the response of the conference's bowl partners when you tell them that you want UMass to have a tie-in to the conference's bowls.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I read it - you didn't.

The piece advocates UMass joining the American in all sports via some convoluted scheduling plan that culminates with the American expanding to 14 schools in all sports.

"If the American Conference is smart, it will use UMass in basketball to build much needed rivalries and it will eventually absorb the Minutemen in football in a 14 team league..."

No, it wouldn't.

And for giggles, try to imagine the response of the conference's bowl partners when you tell them that you want UMass to have a tie-in to the conference's bowls.

There is not a single dimension on which the AAC makes sense for UConn, and yet you are arguing that a major state university that is about 70 miles away doesn't belong in a league with us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is not a single dimension on which the AAC makes sense for UConn, and yet you are arguing that a major state university that is about 70 miles away doesn't belong in a league with us.

Rhody doesn't belong either.

Reaction Score
UMass does not have a competitive athletic program as they have not and do not invest. Look at the major teams:

Football: 5-31 since going FBS. Unfortunately, they were late to upgrade and couldn't upgrade to a BCS conference like UConn did.
Men's basketball: One NCAA tournament in 15 years.
Women's basketball: 1 winning season since 1999. Last 5 year records: 12-18, 4-27, 3-26, 8-21, 7-23.
Baseball: Last 5 year records: 13-31, 14-31, 22-22, 17-29-1, 19-27.
Men's soccer: Last 5 year records: 3-14-1, 4-14-1, 5-11-2, 4-13-2, 5-5-8.
Women's soccer: Last 5 year records: 5-9-5, 7-9-4, 9-10-1, 14-5-2, 8-11.

When you look at UMass' athletic results, it is obvious that they are not committed to major college athletics. Do you think any of the AAC teams want to add UMass based on past athletic results? And, if UConn ever left the AAC, what would have been the rationale to have invited UMass?

One last point. UConn deserves a P5 conference invite based on athletic achievements, fan support, facilities, and investment, which is why BC's blocking of UConn was based on spite and not merit. Mass does not deserve an AAC invite based on athletic achievements, fan support, facilities, and investment.

But the UMASS Band is really good. Does that count?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I'm saying that "major state university" that essentially doesn't have a Division I football program makes no sense for the American.

Reaction Score
UMass needs the AAC and it needs that to happen before we leave. After we leave, there is no way the conference, w/1 school above the mason-dixon line looks 250 miles north of Temple to add. they would have to look South or Southwest, to schools like ODU, Marshall, Charlotte, So. Miss, etc. And UMass is forever stuck on an island.

I've an idea - for those who think playing UMass in MBB is a good idea, how about we schedule them as an OOC game. Are we not allowed to do that?

Reaction Score
I read it - you didn't.

No, it wouldn't.

I understood it fine. It's important to define what EVENTUALLY means. Blaudschun suggests UMASS inclusion for football in like 5-10 years, not the near future. At that time, the AAC would need another team for football because they would be uneven. Perhaps Army could be the 14th.

Reaction Score
noeynox said "I am one of the few that wouldn't mind a "local rival" for as long as were here."

I agree! :)

Reaction Score
confident carl said "..basketball game which felt like a high school Gym. Believe me, playing UMASS in basketball is not as silly as playing before 2500 people against Tulane, 2,000 miles away from Storrs!"

well said.

Reaction Score

Adding UMass in other sports besides football wouldn't hurt anything? Open your eyes! UMass is not competitive in most major sports that the American sponsors. Their most competitive sport for the American is men's basketball and they have been to the NCAAs once in 15 years! Women's basketball is beyond a train wreck: One winning season since 1999! Baseball - not competitive. Men's and women's soccer - not very competitive. Why would the American think adding UMass in all sports but football is a good idea?

As for investing in the program, UMass coaching salaries in the major sports would rank dead last in the AAC. Their athletic spending would rank dead last in the AAC as they currently spend around $30 mill of which ~$25 million is subsidized!! That is not a sustainable model. Their athletic department generates almost no revenue!

UMass should drop football and either join the A-10 or America East. Heck, UMass' athletic spending, even with FBS football, looks like an America East school:

UMass: $30 mill.
UNH: $26 mill.
URI: $25 mill.
Stony Brook: $25 mill
Maine: $19 mill
Vermont: $18 mill

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I understood it fine. It's important to define what EVENTUALLY means. Blaudschun suggests UMASS inclusion for football in like 5-10 years, not the near future. At that time, the AAC would need another team for football because they would be uneven. Perhaps Army could be the 14th.

Previously, your argument was Blauds was not advocating UMass to the American in football. Hence your admonishment to me that I "take some time to read the article" because "Blaudschun suggests letting UMASS in for all sports EXCEPT football."

Now you're back with a different take. Still wrong-headed, but at least you're on the same page as Blauds now.

His plan is the integration of UMass football into the American Conference. The definition of "eventually" is meaningless - the American's investment in UMass would begin immediately in the form of scheduling alliances and bowl tie-ins and culminate in an invitation to UMass and another school to join the conference.

That's certainly a positive for UMass - it basically gives them life via an umbilical cord attached to the AAC.

But it makes no sense for the American. It cannot be justified on the field, in the travel budget, in television negotiations, etc., etc.

Reaction Score
Check out Memphis football record for the past ten years. They finished 25th in the country last year beating BYU in a bowl game. They elevated their program under Fuentes. Although the AAC is not P5 and teams want out, it is the next best thing. All of the AAC have made significant investment in infrastructure.

I am not being nostalgic, just pointed out what occurred in the past. College sports is nostalgic by nature which fuels the rivalries, etc. The glory days of SMU, Houston, Navy and to some extent Temple in basketball have some meaning in the grand scheme.

Memorial stadium has absolutely zero to do with this conversation.
Well said Carl.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Two things I'm not seeking more of on this board are 1)hypothetical conferences and 2)adding more teams to the AAC.

I'll take bullshot tweets from WV hillbillies all day every day over those two things.

You can post what you like, obvs, but in my opinion you're wasting your time.

I'm here to hear news on how we are getting out of this conference, and for the women.

image.jpg

Reaction Score
Essentially UMass would be building to fill the empty NE space in the AAC and G5 CFB left by UConn when we move to greener pastures. We need more investment not less here in NE in FB or my gravest fears on HS and CFB will come to fruition sooner than I'd hoped. We'll be left watching or not 2 hand touch!

Reaction Score
Previously, your argument was Blauds was not advocating UMass to the American in football. Hence your admonishment to me that I "take some time to read the article" because "Blaudschun suggests letting UMASS in for all sports EXCEPT football."

Now you're back with a different take. Still wrong-headed, but at least you're on the same page as Blauds now.

His plan is the integration of UMass football into the American Conference. The definition of "eventually" is meaningless - the American's investment in UMass would begin immediately in the form of scheduling alliances and bowl tie-ins and culminate in an invitation to UMass and another school to join the conference.

That's certainly a positive for UMass - it basically gives them life via an umbilical cord attached to the AAC.

But it makes no sense for the American. It cannot be justified on the field, in the travel budget, in television negotiations, etc., etc.

This thread was a result of an article written by a seasoned sportswriter that I happen to agree with.
I understood everything he wrote including the 6 OOC games with AAC teams and possibly a bowl tie in. I don't see what would be wrong with AAC teams playing UMASS in OOC games? We play teams like Stonybrook, Villanova or Towson State. Jersey guy is making a reasonable argument to take advantage of UMASS's availability.

UMASS football dosn't do much for building up the AAC which is why I like the idea of an non football membership with 6 non league football games with AAC teams.

It makes a lot of sense for UCONN and Temple as has been said before. Check out the future schedules, UMASS has some interesting match ups (many away I know) They already have UCONN and Temple on future schedules along with teams like Notre Dame, BYU, Indiana, Florida and Boston College.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/mid-amer/umass-minutemen.php

Have a nice weekend.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We need UMass like we need painful, rectal itch.
Wait I thought that was their slogan.

U(M)ass - scratch it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think hoops (in a vacum) is obviously a good deal for both. I don't think UMass makes it a hugely better conference, but the local rivalry would be nice and they def. bring up the bottom of the conference. You get Temple-UMass back, UMass-UConn, etc. Mix them in and you've got a pretty good little hoops conference. That being said - you don't need a conference spot to schedule them, either if you're Temple/UConn, so there's that.

They're a depth add - but certainly not a centerpiece. I just don't see any real value in adding them for football.

Thing is - i'm not really sure UMass needs big time sports at all. They're investing in it - but they've worked their way up the national rankings without it just fine. There was a huge piece in the Boston Globe a few weeks ago dumping on them for bothering with big time football when it's such an unnecessary addition. Everyone keeps harping on the benefit to the AAC - but UMass is doing well across the board. It'd have to make sense for them, too.

That being said - they hired a new Athletic Director (Former Georgia Tech guy), have a home grown coach (who may leave, rumor is) and a new President as of today who was a former US Congressman (Marty Meehan). Could be a different world there, so who knows what their plans are. So all in all - i'm agnostic to seeing them here, unsure of the real value-add to the conference, but certainly would welcome them if they were added. I'd rather play them than Tulane or East Carolina.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When the day arrives that we have a better home than this conference. the only remaining AAC schools that would possibly consider looking outside of the bible belt for our replacement would be Temple and Navy. If the AAC were to add UMass it would be time to cash in as the only thing we would be able to derive from the move would be that we are stuck in this dump for the long term (and by long term I mean far longer than another eight to ten years).

Not only would I not treat news of this as something positive. I would begin breaking things of value in an attempt to manage my anger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom