UMASS and AAC need each other | The Boneyard

UMASS and AAC need each other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A Jersey Guy on the merit of UMASS creatively joining the American.
He's talking about bringing them in for all sports except football and then
letting them work in football over time, kind of like Notre Dame was in the
Big East and now in the ACC. Because Navy isn't in for Basketball that might work. I think
the concept has potential. UCONN really needs some local rivalries.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=12338

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The AAC doesn't need UMass unless we leave. What the AAC needs is Top 100 (I'll take 150) programs in BB and a few top 50 FB programs.

Reaction Score
Mark B. is delirious. Comparing a UMass potential UMass-AAC affiliation with Notre Dame's affiliation with the ACC is ludicrous. First of all, UMass has no cachet for the AAC to bite on such an agreement. Secondly, the idea that the AAC would accommodate such a relationship is far fetched. The ONLY way that UMass & the AAC join forces is if or when there is further conference realignment, an AAC team gets a golden ticket to a P5 (hopefully it's UCONN) & the AAC has to backfill.

Reaction Score
They have not made and will not make the investment so, no.
I believe UMASS knows this is their only shot and will commit to an upgrade plan. If you read the article he says let them in for all sports EXCEPT football and let them work their way in by playing 6 games against AAC teams per year.

Reaction Score
Mark B. is delirious. Comparing a UMass potential UMass-AAC affiliation with Notre Dame's affiliation with the ACC is ludicrous. First of all, UMass has no cachet for the AAC to bite on such an agreement. Secondly, the idea that the AAC would accommodate such a relationship is far fetched. The ONLY way that UMass & the AAC join forces is if or when there is further conference realignment, an AAC team gets a golden ticket to a P5 (hopefully it's UCONN) & the AAC has to backfill.

Quite the stretch. No one is comparing UMASS to Notre Dame. He was comparing the methodology, not the organizations. With the long distance travel in this league it would be good to have a few teams within driving distance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Or UCONN & UMASS could merge their programs and join the B1G.

Reaction Score
If the AAC were to lose teams, where would we think they'd look for backfill? My first instincts would be Western Kentucky (good basketball, OK football), Old Dominion (same), La Tech (good basketball, pretty good football), or Marshall (basketball sucks, but adding a brand-name football program could have some benefits), but I could also see FIU, Buffalo, Southern Miss, Georgia State, and maybe UMass, depending on who it is that gets poached.

Reaction Score
I am one of the few that wouldn't mind a "local rival" for as long as were here. There is no timetable for us leaving so WTF not.

I strongly agree. I think BC was really stupid for blocking our admission into the ACC, I don't want to see us make the same mistake with UMass.

I hope that we aren't in the AAC much longer, and I don't really care if UMass joins the AAC.

...But if UMass wants to join the AAC, I hope that UConn welcomes them.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
UMASS needs the Sun Belt and desperately wants the AAC. I don't see what is in it for the AAC (let alone UConn)

Reaction Score
UMASS needs the Sun Belt and desperately wants the AAC. I don't see what is in it for the AAC (let alone UConn)

Forget about football for a minute..

Is Tulane/UCONN or USF/UCONN or East Carolina/UCONN or... a more attractive basketball game than UMASS/UCONN? I remember the Calipari and Marcus Camby days at UMASS in 1996...Things got heated and made for exciting LOCAL match ups.

"And John was the guy at UMass when Jim was at Connecticut. Jim hates to lose at anything. He's a tough guy. He's tough on himself, and that carries on to his team."

Calipari, who took UMass to the Final Four in 1996, three years before UConn did it, and had the Minutemen No. 1 in the country before the Huskies, was just as driven to rise above the Huskies in the 1990s.

Remember the 2002 game when UCONN came back after being down by like 25 points. Check out the cheeks in the seats!

Reaction Score
UMass does not have a competitive athletic program as they have not and do not invest. Look at the major teams:

Football: 5-31 since going FBS. Unfortunately, they were late to upgrade and couldn't upgrade to a BCS conference like UConn did.
Men's basketball: One NCAA tournament in 15 years.
Women's basketball: 1 winning season since 1999. Last 5 year records: 12-18, 4-27, 3-26, 8-21, 7-23.
Baseball: Last 5 year records: 13-31, 14-31, 22-22, 17-29-1, 19-27.
Men's soccer: Last 5 year records: 3-14-1, 4-14-1, 5-11-2, 4-13-2, 5-5-8.
Women's soccer: Last 5 year records: 5-9-5, 7-9-4, 9-10-1, 14-5-2, 8-11.

When you look at UMass' athletic results, it is obvious that they are not committed to major college athletics. Do you think any of the AAC teams want to add UMass based on past athletic results? And, if UConn ever left the AAC, what would have been the rationale to have invited UMass?

One last point. UConn deserves a P5 conference invite based on athletic achievements, fan support, facilities, and investment, which is why BC's blocking of UConn was based on spite and not merit. Mass does not deserve an AAC invite based on athletic achievements, fan support, facilities, and investment.

Reaction Score
UCONN Jim you make some solid points. No question there athletic prowess and spit bag fan base has not been worthy of FBS status. Basketball has been on the decline since the Calipari days, I get it. Fact is UMASS knows this and that its spit or get off the pot time.

Jim, I do not agree with you that UMASS has not been investing in athletics. They have been watching UCONN and I am sure many are saying, if they can do it, so can we. I included some attachments below that substantiate the recent investments in athletics.

There is a real sense of urgency to turn things around or go back to the minor leagues. That's why Jersey Guy says let them in for all sports except football (again Navy's alter team) and let them prove they are worthy of an AAC invite for football. Here are some sites I found that indicate they are paying attention and investing in athletics.

I am in no way a UMASS homer. I just think a local rival would be good for UCONN. Like you, I can point out the deficiencies which have been many. However, if you do your homework you can see there is a renewed commitment and a real sense of urgency to get better.

NEW ATHLETIC DIRECTOR SEEMS LIKE A GOOD HIRE
http://dailycollegian.com/2015/03/2...the-hiring-of-athletic-director-ryan-bamford/

BIG DONATION TO ATHLETICS
http://www.umassathletics.com/genrel/021315aaa.html

PERFORMANCE CENTER - SKY BOX
http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/umass_celebrates_groundbreakin.html

CHAMPIONS CENTER
http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/umass_celebrates_groundbreakin.html

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Programs that claim P5 credentials do not consider programs like UMass rivals. I don't care if you used to watch them at Memorial Stadium.

We ain't got no time for 20th century nostalgia. (sic)

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
This is such a silly thread. Sorry Carl, you're so far from reality its not even fun making fun of your post.

Reaction Score
Programs that claim P5 credentials do not consider programs like UMass rivals. I don't care if you used to watch them at Memorial Stadium.

We ain't got no time for 20th century nostalgia. (sic)

Check out Memphis football record for the past ten years. They finished 25th in the country last year beating BYU in a bowl game. They elevated their program under Fuentes. Although the AAC is not P5 and teams want out, it is the next best thing. All of the AAC have made significant investment in infrastructure.

I am not being nostalgic, just pointed out what occurred in the past. College sports is nostalgic by nature which fuels the rivalries, etc. The glory days of SMU, Houston, Navy and to some extent Temple in basketball have some meaning in the grand scheme.

Memorial stadium has absolutely zero to do with this conversation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have nothing against UMass and don't like seeing them caught up in limbo.

But I don't know how this works for the American.

This is a conference with an image and an income problem - UMass makes both worse.

Beyond that, you have to add another team with UMass.....I cannot imagine who that would be.

Reaction Score
Motion to shut down thread summarily and immediately...

Any seconds, please?

Sounds like your mind is shut down. This thread was started as a result of Mark Blaudschun's (Jersey Guy's) article. One of his blog writers is Tony Barnhart (Mr. College football) I do not believe shuddering ideas is a productive thing.

If you do not know who Blaudschun is, here is his background.

http://www.sportswriters.net/fwaa/fifthdown/october12/beatwriter.html

http://ajerseyguy.com/?page_id=10706

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member