UK's crazy young & raw talent or UConn's experienced & battle tested talent. Who will prevail? | The Boneyard

UK's crazy young & raw talent or UConn's experienced & battle tested talent. Who will prevail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tonight's game is a classic talented youth vs experience.

UK clearly poses the biggest size match-up we've had to face in the tourney. Although Cauley-Stein (7-0) is out, the Squid is getting some solid contributions the past couple games from Dakari Johnson (7-0) and Marcus Lee (6-9), in addition from Randle (6-9) and Poythress (6-8). Cal clearly won't lack options in the post, but getting Randle into foul trouble and maybe even Pythress can have some impact on the game.

One of the keys to this game will be how this game is called, particularly in the paint. If our bigs get into any kind of foul trouble and UK's guards are able to feed the post effectively, it could be a long night. Now we don't want a game where the refs swallow the whistle and allow the UK bigs knock our guys silly in the post, but we just don't want to see calls in incidental contact. Hopefully the refs will let them play but call any over-the-top contact both offensively and defensively. So far, teams have not been able to cause enough of this type of damage to impact the outcome of the game. History is on our side, where the refs tend to let them play more physically in the championship game but within reason.

The next key is will UK be able to keep UConn from driving into the paint? I don't think they can. But with that said, their size might be able to swallow up our guards once they get in there. I think a key to UConn's success will be to drive it at UK and show balance between making mid-range shots, drawing contact and getting to the lane and hopefully finishing some shots at the rim. I think if we take it to the rim too much and the refs are not calling a close game, we could be in trouble. I haven't found UK a very good half-court defensive team. They sure gave up a great look at the end of the Wisconsin game but got away with a W.

Another key, which might be the one that decides the game in UK's favor, is keeping them off the glass. They win a lot of games on second and third opportunities. They're going to get some, but UConn has to continue to limit them, like they have during the tournament thus far. This is where many are likely giving UK the edge and this game. IMO, they'll need a little more than that, but if they dominate in that area, we're going to need to come up big on the other end of the floor to make up for it.

The key that I think will decide the game in our favor lies with on-the-ball pressure. Based on what I've seen, this is not a strength of UK on either side of the ball. They're guards are big but not pesty or super athletic like we've seen from some of the teams that have given us trouble. Conversely I think that Bazz and Boat will and our perimeter D as a whole should be able to disrupt UK's guards from letting them run their stuff and causing enough turnovers that should offset their advantage in the post...I hope. If that's the case IMO, the game comes down to the following two keys.

Making shots isn't always the key to winning, but when one team is able to exploit the weaknesses of the other and the other team exploit the weaknesses they have, it often comes down to which team knocks down a good share of the makeable shots plus a handful of tough ones. Both teams have shown capable of knocking down big time shots especially winning time ones. UConn is a much better 3 point shooting team, and the more ways a team can score the harder it is to defend them. UK doesn't have many threats from outside. Usually the experienced player(s) come up huge in these types of high pressure games, while the less experience ones can't quite handle these big moments. The reason why both teams are here is because they've excelled in this key area.

Last key is keeping UConn off the line. If UConn can drive it at UK , get reasonable calls, and get to the line often, our Huskies will make them pay. Conversely UK doesn't shoot FTs very well. UConn getting to the line and getting it done there, while UK leaving points at the line might just turn out to be the difference.

As big as UK is, I like our chances of imposing our will on them than the reverse. I like our experience over their youth. I like that we have more players who can knock down Js than they do. I like that our guards have been better at driving the paint than their guards. Cal constantly wants them to drive it at the basket, but I don't think they will have as much success against our half-court D as he would like, while I think our guards will have a solid measure of success against their D. It should be a great game. I know I'm going to be nervous for an entire 40 minutes tonight.

Reaction Score
When the game gets down the stretch, with only minutes left, and the pressure is on.

This game, most likely will be a very close game, if so:

Give me the team with the better guards, who can add pressure to the ball
Give me the team with the guards who don't turn the ball over
Give me the team that makes its free throws, a team who is rock solid from the line

Reaction Score
My hope is UK needs a 3 and a guard named Harrison has the ball in his hands. :cool:

Reaction Score
My hope is UK needs a 3 and a guard named Harrison has the ball in his hands. :cool:
I have a feeling that if the game comes to that, Aaron Harrison isn't getting the ball, and if he does, he's going to get it as far away from the hoop as possible and will have at least one player in his face, if not more. It will be a no 3s and no foul defense. KO will make someone else have to beat us.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
We have Shabazz and they don't.
Think about it who does Kentucky turn to when the going gets rough? I mean when you are down by 12 or 9 points to a team nearly everyone picked to win the tournament, the rest of the Huskies could look to Shabazz, and know he'll find a way, he'll know what to do, he's been here before. Kentucky is going to look to who? The coach isn't playing, he doesn't know how to keep Boatright from crawling in your jersey and make life miserable for you. He isn't watching Daniels drain threes then slam the ball down your throat. His shots aren't being throw back in his face by some 7 ft Ghanese ghost who appears to come from nowhere. I think that's the key everyone forgets, who runs the floor, who is the coach on the floor, no on the sidelines.
We have Shabazz and they don't.

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
I agree with all of that. The matchups will also be very interesting.

UK did a good job of beating ULs pressure and winning both of those games, but ULs pressure is vastly different from UConns. Some may say better and if you are talking full court, I agree. UConns half court pressure is fantastic right now. The hedging on screens has been very good, as has switching and recovery. UConn doesn't pressure for TOs that often full court but rather uses a soft press to just slow the other team down. UL is much more aggressive than UConn in the full court press. UConns defense is closer to MSU or UF, just a very solid man to man most of the game.

Shabazz and Boat need to be able to stay in front of their man and vice versa, but that's not the big key.

Giffey and Young are both their teams designated long threats. Young is much more explosive and probably better at attacking the paint. However Giffey is a much better defender and that could lead to open looks considering You g can be downright bad at times.

Daniels and Randle is a very interesting matchup. This is the key. If Cal uses Poythress (sp) on Daniels this will make offense for UConn much tougher, but would make defense easier. The inverse will be true if UK keeps Randle on Daniels.

Nolan/Brimah and Johnson/Lee. Well not sure what to think here. They excell at rebounding but aren't near the defenders. None are guys who look like they will dominate you on offense.

Remainder of bench:
Samuel and Dawkins both defensive players, Kromah is much better offensively.

Poythress and Kromah. Both hustle guys but different positions.

Does UConn go small? Does UK stay big if UConn goes small?

How is the game called? Is it tight on the perimeter but let them play underneath? The inverse? Tight in general?

Can Giffey get his mojo back from deep? Does UK cool off?

Reaction Score
Doomed.jpg

Reaction Score
All about defense, force Randle right, same goes for Young. Make the Harrison's beat you with threes, and take away the drive. Box out on the Offensive glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom