Uh Oh. John Altaville in Hot Water? | The Boneyard

Uh Oh. John Altaville in Hot Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Ominous note on the front page of the Courant Sports Section this morning:

Editor's Note: The Courant apologizes for the offensive tweets sent Saturday by UConn basketball writer John Altaville. The incident is under investigation.

???????????????

Reaction Score
Ominous note on the front page of the Courant Sports Section this morning:

Editor's Note: The Courant apologizes for the offensive tweets sent Saturday by UConn basketball writer John Altaville. The incident is under investigation.

???????????????

He kept talking about the Texas cheerleaders and their chaps that they were wearing, going as far as taking pictures of them and posting it on his Twitter account. Kerith tweeted something how inappropriate it is to do. He apologized and as fas as I know it was over.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
He deleted the original Tweet, but I did see his follow-up apology, which must have occurred quickly (as I started watching the feed by the second half of the game).

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 8.18.40 AM.png

Reaction Score
@KerithBurke: @jaltavilla please dont call my friend an idiot. Are you aware how often you tweet about cheerleaders? That doesnt feel skeezy to you?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can understand his interest, they were very attractive young ladies (as one would expect of cheerleaders). I mean I noticed. However you don't, at his age go tweeting such stuff. You might mention it to the guy sitting next to you.

Reaction Score
Just ridiculous! We were all commenting on the chaps In the stands. We were sitting right behind a huge section of texas fans, and noone seemed uncomfortable with the discussion. I thought both the cheerleaders and the mascot were pretty cool !

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just ridiculous! We were all commenting on the chaps In the stands. We were sitting right behind a huge section of texas fans, and noone seemed uncomfortable with the discussion. I thought both the cheerleaders and the mascot were pretty cool !
Noticing, commenting to friends and such around you is one thing. Tweeting it out to the world, by a guy his age, is another. Approaches creepy.

And I agree the mascot was pretty good. Good dancer too.

Reaction Score
Coincidentally, I was just reading an article about the UCONNWOMEN banned from Twitter during the season- one player remarked that the ban keeps them from tweeting something in the heat of the moment that might come back to bite them-hmmm.
Now I enjoy John and his writing, and I make my share of snarky observations about dance teams and cheerleaders, but he was wrong and Kerith earns my admiration and respect for calling him on it. That said, he apologized, that should be the end of it, let's move on.
BTW, that piece on ESPN about Rebecca and the radio guy having to dress up as cheerleaders could be construed as being disrespectful to cheerleaders- just sayin'

Reaction Score
Noticing, commenting to friends and such around you is one thing. Tweeting it out to the world, by a guy his age, is another. Approaches creepy.

And I agree the mascot was pretty good. Good dancer too.

I enjoyed the cheerleaders and mascot - thought they brought a great regional flavor to the game. They were fun.:)

Altaville is a representative of his newspaper at work at such events, and his tweets are messages of the newspaper - so in that regard he was WAY over the line in terms of what I would expect :eek: (unless the Courant is to be viewed as a sensationalistic, checkout line rag...:rolleyes:). I also think Kerith is EXTREMELY capable, perceptive, and hard working, so if she thinks he is being rude...:mad:

Overall, I think Altaville's professional work is shallow and boring and kind of flippant and irrelevant. He also tends to "borrow" a lot (but hey, other than that he must have some redeeming characteristics?!?) :oops:. I stopped deliberately following his work years ago in favor of the more balanced BY ;). Given a choice, I would have MUCH rather seen Altaville get canned rather than Rich, who was insightful and wrote with intelligence and respect. Altaville would not be a big loss to the Huskies community (IMO), but Rich was!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Call the Thought Police!

I disagree, Wonkster. The Thought Police wouldn't allow you to HAVE the thought. Go ahead: think creepy things about teenaged girls all you want-- but please, don't TWEET about them, thus revealing what looks, to many of us, like lecherous observations from a man old enough to be a father to them.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Good for Kerith and bad for Altavilla. Tweeting about cheerleaders while at work from the account where you are tweeting professionally? Is not acceptable.

Reaction Score
Then there is the question of the Sports Illustrated swim suit issue. Who allows that?

We are of course talking about the same thing? We would rather him do it under the wrap of the dark but, going public with it shows no control. Are these the people we want covering young women? Typical Fratboys behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
So MEYERS, what exactly is "your " cutoff age for looking at cheerleaders ? Everyone in the stands around us were also commenting about the cheerleaders, AND how it would be great to join the BIG 12 (10).

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
So MEYERS, what exactly is "your " cutoff age for looking at cheerleaders ? Everyone in the stands around us were also commenting about the cheerleaders, AND how it would be great to join the BIG 12 (10).

How many of those people in the stands were at work? How many were tweeting from their professional accounts about how much they admired the cheerleaders?

Things you do on personal time are one thing. Things you do on work time while representing your employer are another thing.

By the way, a good rule of thumb for acceptable dating ages: Divide your age in 1/2. Add 7.

Reaction Score
Discrimination against someone because of their age is addressed by federal Law. Geezers have the same rights as those less age challenged.... Unless preempted by corporate representation issues (company phone?).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Have to say I had the same thought after one camera shot (and hello ... cheerleaders get lots of air time at both college and professional games in all sports, as well as pretty women in the stands (and men dressed up in crazy outfits!)) But I certainly didn't tweet about it.

I do think it is a little hypocritical in our society to promote fashions, especially in cheerleader outfits, that emphasize their sexual attractiveness, and then slam people for appreciating that quality. I am pretty sure that is the whole point of those outfits.

At the same time I also think it is inappropriate for a sportscaster to make those tweets while on the job on his official account. Hope the punishment is not out of proportion to the 'crime'.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Coincidentally, I was just reading an article about the UCONNWOMEN banned from Twitter during the season- one player remarked that the ban keeps them from tweeting something in the heat of the moment that might come back to bite them-hmmm.
Now I enjoy John and his writing, and I make my share of snarky observations about dance teams and cheerleaders, but he was wrong and Kerith earns my admiration and respect for calling him on it. That said, he apologized, that should be the end of it, let's move on.
BTW, that piece on ESPN about Rebecca and the radio guy having to dress up as cheerleaders could be construed as being disrespectful to cheerleaders- just sayin'
I do not understand the connection you are trying to make. Mike Golic was dressed in a male cheerleader uniform and Rebecca was dressed up as a mascot in a non-revealing Husky costume. There was nothing sexually gratuitous about the commercial. I agree with the rest of your post. I think UcMiami's take is perfect, as are several of the other responses here.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think it simply underscores the "hidden" sexuality of sports. In general, women are objectified men are not. There have been a series of incidents in the last week or so that underscores that. Of course, some folks are going to trot out the "thought police" to hide behind to they don't actually have to think about the implications and ingrained biases. But do the flip test and see if you can point out the examples of the opposite happening - a female reporter tweeting about male cheerleaders, a pair of female hosts dismissing the quality of a male reporter's reporting but praising the size of his "johnson," etc. etc.

It's all worth discussion. It's all worth reflection. It's all worth thoughtful examining of the impact of words and language. What you decide to do AFTERward is on you. As is folks' reaction. It's all part of growing up and being more aware of the fact that you can impact the people and world around you.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I can understand his interest, they were very attractive young ladies (as one would expect of cheerleaders). I mean I noticed. However you don't, at his age go tweeting such stuff. You might mention it to the guy sitting next to you.

I did mention it to the guy next to me - we both liked them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom