OT: - UConn's ranking in AP vs Coaches Polls | The Boneyard

OT: UConn's ranking in AP vs Coaches Polls

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Interesting differences in this week's polls, where this week, UConn is ranked #10 (-1) in AP, and #7 (+2) in Coaches, with a +3 delta between the polls, the largest. This might be an interesting discussion whilst we are awaiting Selection Sunday.

1710347402749.jpeg

Reaction Score
Since there are around 35 voters each week in the AP poll, that is the normal spread in pts between positions. Sometimes it will be far higher or lower than that.

In this week's poll the difference between #10 and #6 is only 34 points, exceptionally tight and about what you expect for one position, not four. Below Uconn is just the opposite with a gap of 99 to #11 which is very large. So although we are #10 we have a big margin over #11 and are much closer to #6 than the rankings themselves might suggest.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Since there are around 35 voters each week in the AP poll, that is the normal spread in pts between positions. Sometimes it will be far higher or lower than that.

In this week's poll the difference between #10 and #6 is only 34 points, exceptionally tight and about what you expect for one position, not four. Below Uconn is just the opposite with a gap of 99 to #11 which is very large. So although we are #10 we have a big margin over #11 and are much closer to #6 than the rankings themselves might suggest.
True. And only 1 point separates the Golden Domers from us...

Jim

Reaction Score
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the AP voting is done earlier in the day and does not include Monday evening game results (like the BE final) whereas the coaches poll does take those games into account. If so, that might be the cause of the discrepancy.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the AP voting is done earlier in the day and does not include Monday evening game results (like the BE final) whereas the coaches poll does take those games into account. If so, that might be the cause of the discrepancy.
Yes, however there may also be an argument about coaches being better informed opposed to writers that may not watch a lot of games or know about teams.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Probably because Geno is pretty widely respected among coaches but some in the media have, I think, a bit of a subconscious bias against UConn after so many streaks / titles / snoozefest postseasons? I've often found for the same reason Stanford is usually a bit more favorably treated by the coaches poll than the AP, although interestingly not this week!

Reaction Score
And would explain the difference in our record in each.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Probably because Geno is pretty widely respected among coaches but some in the media have, I think, a bit of a subconscious bias against UConn after so many streaks / titles / snoozefest postseasons? I've often found for the same reason Stanford is usually a bit more favorably treated by the coaches poll than the AP, although interestingly not this week!
More often than not this season, UConn has been lower in the coaches' poll than in the AP poll.

Reaction Score
Composite:
UConn NET= 2, Massey = 2, AP = 10. Coaches = 7
Average rank = 4.8

False Conclusion. Computers love UConn. People hate them.

Probable: Humans know that UConn has very little depth and believe the tourney will wear them down by around the sweet 16 (AP) or Elite 8 (Coaches). Humans are voting with an eye to final rank. Computers are more dialed in on what has happened too date.

Reaction Score
They were being downplayed a little based on AE being injured and Ice not being proven at the time of the AP Poll. I really think they will be a higher seed in the tournament than 10 but at 10 they are not in the same region as South Carolina. I think that UConn can beat SC if everything goes their way but they need to do it in the final not the semis.

The short bench is not a good argument at this point since they have been playing with it for several months. If anything they should be elevated by what Ice showed in the BET and that makes UConn a threat to teams that have length. UConn is in a way better place than they were before the BET and every coach in the nation knows it.

Reaction Score
The short bench is not a good argument at this point since they have been playing with it for several months. If anything they should be elevated by what Ice showed in the BET and that makes UConn a threat to teams that have length. UConn is in a way better place than they were before the BET and every coach in the nation knows it.
Not every coach in the “coaches” poll

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom