Uconns Octopus Defense | The Boneyard

Uconns Octopus Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All these concerned fans let me say this. UConns defense is like an Octopus. Once it gets a hold of you you cant get free. From here on out any team we face has not faced us this season. They have no idea what theyre in for. They've heard about it, they've watched UConn on TV but they havent experienced it. Until they get on the floor with UConn....well when they get on the floor with UConn reality will set in. Its completely overwhelming and they don't let up. Its like your in a boxing match and you get hit and knocked down and get up and get hit again and get up and get hit again and again and again .

Reaction Score
From your mouth, Tonyc, to...etc. But remember how we were absolutely scorched by 3s early in the season (when we were playing tough non-league teams)? I think many of us still worry that it could be our Achilles heel. Even Geno said recently that when the other team's shots are dropping, there's not much you can do about it. Of course, our D has gotten better, and maybe especially against 3s, since Lou is now starting and is probably better than either Gabby or Napheesa (who were starting earlier) about extending the defense beyond the 3 line. But we really haven't been fully tested again on that (and won't likely be against TX).

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
From your mouth, Tonyc, to...etc. But remember how we were absolutely scorched by 3s early in the season (when we were playing tough non-league teams)? I think many of us still worry that it could be our Achilles heel. Even Geno said recently that when the other team's shots are dropping, there's not much you can do about it. Of course, our D has gotten better, and maybe especially against 3s, since Lou is now starting and is probably better than either Gabby or Napheesa (who were starting earlier) about extending the defense beyond the 3 line. But we really haven't been fully tested again on that (and won't likely be against TX).
Some teams have hit at least six or seven threes against UCONN in recent weeks and lost by over twenty points. Even some of those teams UCONN played early in the season that made a lot of threes lost by double figures. Also, UCONN was not playing at the level they are playing now. They won't play a high volume three point shooting team unless they make it to the championship game. I'm a cautious person and know anything could happen, but I just don't see them losing to either Washington or Syracuse.

Reaction Score
IMO the notion that UCONN 's three point defense is a material weakness is probably a bit overblown. Our 3-point opponent % is 30.4 compared to Texas(27.8) , Baylor(26.9) , Cuse(28.9) and Washington (30.4). If opponents take 20 threes a game then , on average relative to out future opponents, we give up less than one three per game more than they do. It really makes no difference in the outcome of the game particularly if opposing defenses want to play us tight on the perimeter( which makes Mo's speed more of an asset, and Stewie and Tuck that much more effective in the paint).
Sure, some team could have a career day and shoot 50% from three point land but that would be unlikely. And if it does happen ( i.e. think Mabrey at the ND game) then you make an adjustment. By the way, the top 50 DIV 1 teams are shooting over 34% on threes so I think we're doing ok.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In general I agree that the D is very stifling.
But the Mississippi coach did note that his team had open looks for the first 4 or 5 minutes and just didn't hit them (implied and factual: less later)
A look at the replay confirms the accuracy of his remark
If team Miss. would have hit a few of those shots the game might have been (slightly) more competitive.

Reaction Score
I am not a stat man but because of our interior defense do teams fling up more 3's against us? If they do than the more you take some are going to go in. I have seen some well defended 3's go in but those were the only shots they could get.

Reaction Score
Sure, some team could have a career day and shoot 50% from three point land but that would be unlikely. And if it does happen ( i.e. think Mabrey at the ND game) then you make an adjustment.
Yes, sometimes an adjustment works, but sometimes it doesn't. Then, it's up to us to shoot even a little better. It happens, but sometimes it doesn't. It's why they play the game (just ask the 2007 Patriots).

I'm certainly not saying that we're likely to be beat this year. But I'm pointing out that, within our defense, the likeliest concern is defending the 3, because that's the only thing that seemed to cause worry earlier and we really haven't been tested there since.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As far as shooting 3's. Most teams only have that option. They cant get inside. They cant get within 15 ft. So the only option is the 3. Live by the 3 and die by the 3. I don't see any team living by the 3 against UConn. Right now UConn is at a very high level. If it continues through out the NCAAs it doesn't really matter what any opponent does. UConn has proven themselves over the last 120 games and all by double digits. IMO its not a question about a team hitting shots its about and opponent getting good looks and not being intimidated. Before UConn walks on the floor they have the advantage mentally. Opponents are already thinking of them and those thoughts have doubt. UConn has no doubts they are very confident. The matchup nitemare is how do you defend all 5 players and you cant defend Stewie. The other match up nitemare is on defense. Its really tuff getting the ball over half court against UConn and when and if you are successful they you have less then 20 seconds in most instances to run a play with Stewie and Tuck underneath. With a 7 ft wing span how far out do you have to be to get a shot off ? That's why teams shoot a lot of 3's and some are successful from 3 and most aren't, but still no one has beaten UConn this season.

Reaction Score
I am not a stat man but because of our interior defense do teams fling up more 3's against us? If they do than the more you take some are going to go in. I have seen some well defended 3's go in but those were the only shots they could get.
Exactly. Most of these teams don't pass the ball well enough to get it into the paint. They try to dribble -penetrate and if they don't get a shot off, their offense stagnates. Not many teams shoot a higher percentage on 3's as they do in the paint plus they never go to the foul line. When UConn is playing their best defense, they don't over-extend on the perimeter and just let teams bog themselves down.

Reaction Score
It's important to remember that the treys opponents were sinking against us occurred before UConn acquired their new, state of the art, sneaks. Geno says the Huskies are the only team currently wearing these beauties, and the team has gone undefeated since wearing them. The only downside to the new sneaks in that they have to be laced up, and you know how kids are about tying up their shoes. Now, however, there's alarming news: NIKE has come out with a NEWER sneak that laces itself:
upload_2016-3-28_14-13-42.png

I fear now that one or more of our remaining opponents may acquire these NEWER sneaks and thereby gain the unfair advantage the Huskies are currently enjoying. NIKE is killing WCBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom