Uconn's Defense | The Boneyard

Uconn's Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
We have seen a similar pattern the last two games, against ND and DePaul. The opponent plays even, or even outplays UConn for the first ten minutes. Then UConn bounces back, and plays solid for the last 30 minutes. Why?

Some random observations:
1. The starting five seem much more offensive minded than defensive minded. Kia Nurse in particular was caught helping out on defense, but leaving her man wide open.

2. Kiah Stokes is clearly a defensive presence. The team becomes a much better defensive team when Kiah enters the game.

3. The change to Zone was the difference last night. DePaul could not solve the zone, and were immediately shut down. They went for a long time without scoring against the zone. It seems the UConn players are better at knowing where they should be in the zone, than man-to-man.

4. Eric asked Meagan why she thought MoJeff's numbers were down this year. Meagan replied "no Bria Hartley!" Bria helped Mo play better, that's why Bria was an All American.

5. I know they have a team +/- system. I would like to see a +/- for each player. I'll bet one of the coaching staff keeps these stats. As a fan, when a defender gets picked, we don't necessarily know who was supposed to be guarding an open shooter. But, the coaching staff probably knows. Of course, there are times when you just have to say great shot, or great play. However, I'm seeing too many open shots, especially in the first ten minutes.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Reaction Score
I thought they played well, but have a lot of little rough edges to work out. Nothing serious, some fine tuning well in time before the importany games come.
Meagan's opinion on MJ was a little too simple I think.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Whether its adjusting the players or the defensive formation and tactics, UConn has always been a team that is good at changing things up one they see what a team is coming at them with. Once they start cracking down on the opponent's openings and stifling their shot, that leads to other factors like that early-game adrenaline exuberance being replaced by frustrated despondency that makes a 50% initial FG% settle at 32% by game's end.

Even if you have the best defense in the WCBB, if you stay with one consistent formation the whole game it can sometimes lead a team finding a tactic that can take advantage of it. In the 2013 Tournament for instance Baylor just stayed with a zone for too long that dared Louisville to shoot 3s, which did not seem like that bad a strategy before the game with a mediocre 3s shooting Cardinal squad. But the Cards found the magic touch and were allowed to employ it for way too long. The same situation sometimes happens for the Huskies, but generally they are very good at extending the pressure once a team has proved it can pop from the outside. It's always a balancing act in deciding which part of the defense to sacrifice on a bit, but the Huskies are superb at making the little adjustments at keeping a team shooting 30%, and recently a lot of that has to do with a Dolson and/or a Stokes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just an FYI - both Bria and Moriah struggled mightily out of the gate last year with their shooting - people forget they went on a tear in Jan and Feb to reach their lofty numbers.
And I think MP is way off - Bria certainly is missed but there are other players on the team with sort of the same skill sets - Stef is the one for whom the team has no replacement on offense or defense and especially on offense. Every offensive set last year ran through Dolson and when she wasn't on the floor the offense struggled. The first half of this year is all about the team learning how to play without her. (And we are only at the 1/4 mark at this point.)
As for defense - this is a pretty standard situation for most teams and particularly Uconn against decent to good teams who are playing well - the first 5-10 minutes is a little chaotic and then the team figures out what the opponent is doing and how to attach and defend it. And then the run comes! Happened a lot last year as well - tie score 5 minutes in and then it is 15 or 20 points at the 8 minute mark of the first half.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What I saw last nite was how quick UConn was and the energy level was off the charts. Theyre in such terrific shape and explosive. Suffocating defense is an understatement. They just wear you down and last nite you could see it. DePaul is a very very good team and very well coached however UConn just wore them down. When you talk about great coaches in WCBB Doug Bruno is there as is ND Stanford LVille etc and some new comers at lesser known schools. When it comes down to it there isn't a team that can hang with UConn. UConn can do things that other teams cant do. All the talent on other teams cant match what UConns talent can do as a team. The chemistry is there and buying into the team concept without the "I" is one of the main reasons for UConns success.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Hope u don't mind me using your name today TonyC!!!!

Reaction Score
I was particularly interested in this comment:

1. The starting five seem much more offensive minded than defensive minded. Kia Nurse in particular was caught helping out on defense, but leaving her man wide open.

I think that is precisely how help defense works. You leave your man to defend against someone who is about to score. You cannot defend your man and the other man at the same time.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
If someone is "about to score" sliding over to help out is pointless.

The point of help defense is to quickly move over on a dangerous player to help deny them the ball or restrict their options if they are handling the ball, but you need to do it in a way that does not leave your man open for a pass and score. If Kia gets lured over and the ball handler hits her man for a good shot, that's not good help defense. Of course if she leave her man alone but makes it impossible with her help defense for a pass to get to her open man, that's a lot better. Timing and tenacity and the ability to slide back to her man are all key.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I was particularly interested in this comment:

I think that is precisely how help defense works. You leave your man to defend against someone who is about to score. You cannot defend your man and the other man at the same time.

Folks, the beginning of the game, particularly a game after is the time when rust gets rousted, and we get to see what the opposing team is bringing to the table. True, there are scouting reports, and most thought that DePaul would stay behind the arc and shoot, and guess what? they attacked the paint, plus all their shots were falling. It's not unusual for teams to come out guns blazing because they want to be the ones to take down UConn. If the score is not out of control, Geno lets them play to see if they will figure it out. But Stokes does make the difference. In a blog whose link is posted in the link thread tacked to the top of this forum, DoggyDaddy says this:

"In what is becoming a standard for UConn, Geno brought in Kiah Stokes and the game changes. Over the next 5 minutes UConn went on a 14-2 run. The defense was turned up a notch. It wasn't that Stokes blocked 5 shots or grabbed 10 rebounds in that run. But just her presence allows the other players to be more aggressive on the perimeter, knowing Stokes will protect the basket if they get beat by their opponent."

And I agree. She appears to be comfortable with coming off the bench. Watching her last night at the game, I observed how focused she is on the activity on the floor, assessing the situation, almost jumping out of her chair...and then she gets out there and BAM - game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom