UConn's best 5 NBA players | The Boneyard

UConn's best 5 NBA players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. Ray. No doubt about it. Sure fire HOF, 3 point czar, championships, etc. I don't think any other former UConn player challenges him.

2 through 5. Lots of worthy candidates. Rip, Cliffy, Rudy, Kemba, Donyell, Emeka...Andre is well on his way.

What do you think? Answers should be based solely on NBA achievements.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Ray, Rip, Caron, Cliffy, and Ben Gordon. In that order. Rudy, Andre, Emeka, Kemba, Charlie V, Donyell honorable mentions.

Reaction Score
Ray, Rip, Caron, Cliff, and Rudy. Rudy is a much better pro that Ben. Kemba and Andre will push Cliff and Caron (my fav) out of the top 5 soon.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Well if we're basing this only on NBA acheivements...

2. Richard Hamilton - Champion with Pistons. Been a very good player in the league for a long time. 3 time all-star

3. Clifford Robinson - Looking back on his career, it looks like he was a stretch 4 before strech 4's were popular. Played on some good teams. All-star

4. Caron Butler - 2 time All-star. Always a good player who played hard.

5. Rudy Gay - Very good player who has always been very talented, but has yet to really be on a winner.

Reaction Score

2. Richard Hamilton - Champion with Pistons. Been a very good player in the league for a long time. 3 time all-star

3. Clifford Robinson - Looking back on his career, it looks like he was a stretch 4 before strech 4's were popular. Played on some good teams. All-star

4. Caron Butler - 2 time All-star. Always a good player who played hard.

5. Rudy Gay - Very good player who has always been very talented, but has yet to really be on a winner.
I agree with this top 5. I think Andre and possibly Kemba have a chance to break into this group eventually. Would it be safe to say our NBA alums haven't exactly set the world on fire in the NBA? Maybe further testament to what our coaches have been able to get out of mostly 3 and 4 star guys.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Ray, Rip, Cliff (18 yrs trumps Caron), Caron, Rudy.
Caron is still in the league and will finish with about 16 years of experience, if I had to guess. I think his ring with the Mavs and his extra all-star appearance puts him over Cliffy, but that's just my opinion.

Reaction Score
1. Ray. No doubt about it. Sure fire HOF, 3 point czar, championships, etc. I don't think any other former UConn player challenges him.

Also 10 time all-star, and top 20 all-time scorer.

Reaction Score
Caron is still in the league and will finish with about 16 years of experience, if I had to guess. I think his ring with the Mavs and his extra all-star appearance puts him over Cliffy, but that's just my opinion.

It's close no doubt. Cliff should have ad more All-star appearances but. . .

Reaction Score

Don't forget Pistons' all time leading playoff scorer.

Reaction Score
It's close no doubt. Cliff should have ad more All-star appearances but. . .

Uncle Cliffy played 20 seasons and averaged 14 ppg for his career. He's also in the top 45 in all-time scoring. Not too shabby.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Ben over Rudy?
I've changed my mind since posting that and would put Rudy over Ben just because Rudy's career hasn't crashed and burned the way Ben's has. Rudy could probably average 20+ for another 4 years.

Reaction Score
In order- Ray, Rip, Cliff, Rudy, Caron. Ben should be up there but after the Bulls he checked out mentally. Cliffy, Rudy and Caron could all flip places without any argument. Drummond will either be #1 or #2 when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
In order- Ray, Rip, Cliff, Rudy, Caron. Ben should be up there but after the Bulls he checked out mentally. Cliffy, Rudy and Caron could all flip places without any argument. Drummond will either be #1 or #2 when all is said and done.

Rudy over Caron?

Reaction Score
Rudy over Caron?
while caron has been much more of a factor in the post season and has played on better teams, i would say rudys lack of 'bad seasons' puts him ahead, right around 28 (rudys current age) carons career dipped due to injuries/age. we'll see what happens with rudy this season but he's coming off one of his better statistical ones just last year. once his career is done he is gonna have a crap ton of points

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Gonna be fun to revisit this thread in a decade to see where Andre ends up. Anything other than #1 or 2 would be a disappointment, to be honest.

I'm also holding onto irrationally high hopes for DHam and Adams.

Reaction Score
I'm with Huskybass as far as including Kemba in that top 5. When it's all said and done as far as the current and past UConn NBAers, I think Kemba might leap over a few of the players that have been included in some of the above lists. There's just something special about him, and on the right team I can see him making a huge contribution.

What do some of you think?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Ray, Rip, Cliffy, Caron and... I 'm going to put Andre in there just because I give more negative weight to clunker seasons than I do positive weight to good but not great seasons. Andre hasn't been around long enough to have had a clunker season yet, and this season was borderline great. Barring catastrophe, he'll move up on everybody's list over the next two years, so I'm just beating everyone to the punch.

And Ben would have to be Ray-good to overcome my innate prejudice against vegans.

Reaction Score
It's interesting how low the yards opinion on rudy gay is, all probably because of 06 .( not everybody but a good amount).

Reaction Score
Ray, Rip, Cliffy, Caron and... I 'm going to put Andre in there just because I give more negative weight to clunker seasons than I do positive weight to good but not great seasons. Andre hasn't been around long enough to have had a clunker season yet, and this season was borderline great. Barring catastrophe, he'll move up on everybody's list over the next two years, so I'm just beating everyone to the punch.

And Ben would have to be Ray-good to overcome my innate prejudice against vegans.
Oh, I completely forgot about Andre. I think he has a lot of big time hoops ahead of him and has a good shot at jumping into that top 5. I guess my list, assuming that Kemba and Andre play at a high level for a long time, is as follows:

Ray, Rip, Andre, Kemba, Rudy, Donyell, and Caron... that's 6. I added Rip after realizing I seriously undervalued his career. I forgot about how well he played that season and during the playoffs when Detroit won the title that year. Not necessarily in that order except for Ray at the top spot. I find it really hard with the latter part of that top 5. I could make a case for Rip, Cliffy and Ben to unseed any of my top 2 through 4. There's a case for and against just about all of these players other than Ray who's proven he's one of the best shooters that the game has ever seen and worked hard to improve his biggest weakness of being a poor defender. He defended well the year C's won it all.

------ Feel free to stop here. The following are breakdowns on a our NBAers' Game ------

Andre - young and unproven, though his game and numbers just seem to be improving. He's still very young and a freak athlete.

Kemba - even though he's small, he's a h*ll of a scorer, similar to Ben was early on, but is less of a defensive liability that Ben has been his entire career.

...which brings me to Ben. BG was a very good scorer early in his career, but his inability to defend has resulted in his frequent benching or lack of PT. He was an unstoppable scorer his final season at UConn, but some of his UConn teammates were able to make up for his defensive deficiencies.

It's been a while since we've seen Cliffy play. He had a long NBA career and a number of those years were very productive. He was a 6th man type of contributor, similar to how one might describe Caron and even Donyell for much of their careers. I haven't looked up any stats, but I bet many of us are under-valuing how good Cliffy was.

I have Rudy in the 3rd spot on my list, who's always been a good scorer, but similar to Rip and Ben, has struggled to defend and rebound at his position. I'm guessing it is his defensive deficiencies that have resulted in Rudy falling out of favor with some of his coaches and contributed to his being traded. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But he has put up good offensive numbers on a consistent bases when he's been given solid PT.

Donyell was a big time tweener for his early career and where he wasn't quick enough to cover wings and wasn't strong enough to rebound and defend at the 4. Once he began to fill out, he became a real nice 3rd type stretch-4 type scoring option, such as when he played along side of Lebron James and couple other big time players, if my memory serves me.

Caron has been a steady contributor throughout most of his career. Like many of our Husky NBAers, he's not played on championship teams. He's always been a highly skilled offensive player who makes the most out of his abilities, but has always been a tad undersized. If he was just 2 to 3 inches taller, he could have been a big time NBAer IMO. Similar to other Husky greats, he's struggled most on the defensive end of the floor. He was very good at stealing the ball early in his career, but taller and quicker players have been able to exploit his undersized stature.

Rip came out of the chute after a slow start as a legit scorer, but quickly fall off the face of the earth, due to some issues with his coach (or coaches) and like the trend I keep on mentioning, he too was a poor defender at the NBA level. As noted above, I clearly didn't remember how long Rip played at a high level during the majority of his NBA career. Funny how many of our best offensive players were terrible defenders, while UConn has had a rep of being a tough defensive team. I think this is because most of our best defenders were the less talented offensive players while the good offensive ones JC was able to land tended to be sub-par defensively coming and and going out. Rip went from being a starter at one point to a role player, a bench warmer and a not dressed DNP. For that reason, I have a tough time putting him in my top 5. Just a sub-par body of work IMO.

One interesting thought is if some of these players had played their be best years under the current rules, where teams can play some sorts of zone D, (can now play off the players and in open spaces on the weak-side as long as they don't drift into the paint), some of them might have had better overall careers. I think the new rules will help undersized players like Kemba, Bazz and Boatright, where in the past trying to cover athletic bigger and stronger players one-on-one, proved to be too difficult for some of our guys such as Ben, Rip, Donyell early on, etc.

It will be interesting if Bazz can stick in the league. His size and athleticism is working against him, but his high BBIQ, will to win and shot-making ability makes up for some of this. I hope he ends up playing for a coach that will give him an extended chance to get solid PT. A system like what is played at Utah or San Antonio would fit him well. His game reminds me a little of Steve Nash, who wasn't exactly a big, strong athletic guard, but somehow won an MVP or two.

Boatshow is another interesting player. If he can stick with the right NBA team, I can see him become a poor-man's Allen Iverson. He's a plus athlete who's defense really improved his senior season. If at his size, if he can be enough disruptive on D and can avoid getting swallowed up by bigger defenders and when trapped, he'll be an interesting one to see how much he might be able to contribute at this level. He doesn't have the BBIQ as Bazz did. I don't think it's as bad as it looked last season when he didn't have nearly the supporting cast that Bazz had when he was at the helm. When he is on his game, he's a dynamic scorer who can knock 'em down from both deep and mid-range. Bazz was and assume still is masterful at getting shots off close to the basket when you'd think he should be swallowed up. RB was great at the up-and-under, using the rim to shield off the defender, but going straight at the basket he had a tendency of getting overwhelmed among the trees. He'll just need to exploit the deep and mid-range game, get his share of thefts and breakaway dunks, to survive in the league.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's interesting how low the yards opinion on rudy gay is, all probably because of 06 .( not everybody but a good amount).

For me it's more the fact that both Memphis and Toronto seemed to improve demonstrably after trading him.

He's played well these last couple years for Sacramento, though.

Reaction Score
Oh, I completely forgot about Andre. I think he has a lot of big time hoops ahead of him and has a good shot at jumping into that top 5. I guess my list, assuming that Kemba and Andre play at a high level for a long time, is as follows:

Ray, Andre, Kemba, Rudy, Donyell, Caron. Not necessarily in that order except for Ray at the top spot. I find it really hard with the latter part of that top 5. I could make a case for Rip, Cliffy and Ben to unseed any of my top 2 through 4. There's a case for and against just about all of these players other than Ray who's proven he's one of the best shooters that the game has ever seen and worked hard to improve his biggest weakness of being a poor defender. He defended well the year C's won it all.

------ Feel free to stop here. The following are breakdowns on a our NBAers' Game ------

Andre - young and unproven, though his game and numbers just seem to be improving. He's still very young and a freak athlete.

Kemba - even though he's small, he's a h*ll of a scorer, similar to Ben was early on, but is less of a defensive liability that Ben has been his entire career.

...which brings me to Ben. BG was a very good scorer early in his career, but his inability to defend has resulted in his frequent benching or lack of PT. He was an unstoppable scorer his final season at UConn, but some of his UConn teammates were able to make up for his defensive deficiencies.

It's been a while since we've seen Cliffy play. He had a long NBA career and a number of those years were very productive. He was a 6th man type of contributor, similar to how one might describe Caron and even Donyell for much of their careers. I haven't looked up any stats, but I bet many of us are under-valuing how good Cliffy was.

I have Rudy in the 3rd spot on my list, who's always been a good scorer, but similar to Rip and Ben, has struggled to defend and rebound at his position. I'm guessing it is his defensive deficiencies that have resulted in Rudy falling out of favor with some of his coaches and contributed to his being traded. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But he has put up good offensive numbers on a consistent bases when he's been given solid PT.

Donyell was a big time tweener for his early career and where he wasn't quick enough to cover wings and wasn't strong enough to rebound and defend at the 4. Once he began to fill out, he became a real nice 3rd type stretch-4 type scoring option, such as when he played along side of Lebron James and couple other big time players, if my memory serves me.

Caron has been a steady contributor throughout most of his career. Like many of our Husky NBAers, he's not played on championship teams. He's always been a highly skilled offensive player who makes the most out of his abilities, but has always been a tad undersized. If he was just 2 to 3 inches taller, he could have been a big time NBAer IMO. Similar to other Husky greats, he's struggled most on the defensive end of the floor. He was very good at stealing the ball early in his career, but taller and quicker players have been able to exploit his undersized stature.

Rip came out of the chute after a slow start as a legit scorer, but quickly fall off the face of the earth, due to some issues with his coach (or coaches) and like the trend I keep on mentioning, he too was a poor defender at the NBA level. Funny how many of our best offensive players were terrible defenders, while UConn has had a rep of being a tough defensive team. I think this is because most of our best defenders were the less talented offensive players while the good offensive ones JC was able to land tended to be sub-par defensively coming and and going out. Rip went from being a starter at one point to a role player and a bench warmer. For that reason, I have a tough time putting him in my top 5. Just a sub-par body of work IMO.

One interesting thought is how some of these players had played their be best years under the current rules where teams can play some sorts of zone D (can now play off the players and in open spaces on the weak-side as long as they don't drift into the paint) if some of them would have had better overall careers. I think the new rules will help undersized players like Kemba, Bazz and Boatright, where in the past trying to cover athletic bigger and stronger players proved to be too difficult some of our guys such as Ben, Rip, Donyell early on, etc.

It will be interesting if Bazz can stick in the league. His size and athleticism is working against him, but his high BBIQ, will to win and shot-making ability makes up for some of this. I hope he ends up playing for a coach that will give him an extended chance to get solid PT. A system like what is played at Utah or San Antonio would fit him well. His game reminds me a little of Steve Nash was wasn't exactly a big, strong athletic guard, but somehow won an MVP or two.

Boatshow is another interesting player. If he can stick with the right NBA team, I can see him become a poor-man's Allen Iverson. He's a plus athlete who's defense really improved his senior season. If at his size he be be enough disruptive on D and can avoid getting swallowed up by bigger defenders and when trapped, he'll be an interesting one to see how much he might be able to contribute at this level. He doesn't have the BBIQ as Bazz did. I don't think it's as bad as it looked last season when he didn't have nearly the supporting cast that Bazz had when he was at the helm. When he is on his game, he's a dynamic scorer who can knock 'em down from both deep and midrange. Bazz was and assume still is masterful at getting shots off close to the basket when you'd think he should be swallowed up. RB was great and the up-and-under basket using the rim to shield off the defender, but going straight at the basket he had a tendancy of getting overwhelmed among the tries. He'll just need to exploit the deep and midrange game, get his share of thefts and breakaway dunks, to survive in the league.
Completely disagree with you on Rip, the guy was the best mid range jump shooter in the league for years and was an elite and clutch scorer on one of the best teams in the league for many seasons, he wasn't an elite defender but not nearly as bad as you make it out, not having Rip in your type 5 is just crazy, actually not having him in your top 2 is pretty crazy. I also don't agree that Caron's size hurt him much, it was injuries that derailed his career. The only time he was pretty much injury free he made 2 all-star games, injuries robbed him of some more 20 ppg seasons. Boat would be a very very poor man's Iverson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom