Uconn Women's Physical Play | The Boneyard

Uconn Women's Physical Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was at Mohegan Sun for both the semi final and the final games and one of my big takeaways was how physical the women's game especially Uconn's game has become. I remember the old days when Rutgers was challenging the Huskies, it was always a physical type game. However, the physicality was limited to just a few players and it wasn't non stop like it is today. It is very evident that the women Huskies can be tough with any level of contact, Stewie especially. Kia is always in the fray and Lou who doesn't look the part, goes into traffic with the best of them. Gabby is imposing with her speed and agility, so she eludes a lot of contact with her athlecticism. Mo is similar to Gabby in this respect but the pounding her small body still absorbs is astounding.
The team's work in the weight room helps immeasurably with their physical game and allows them to be intense on both offense and defense for all 40 minutes with basically only 6-7 players. Meanwhile other teams get tired physically and emotionally.

Reaction Score
I was at Mohegan Sun for both the semi final and the final games and one of my big takeaways was how physical the women's game especially Uconn's game has become. I remember the old days when Rutgers was challenging the Huskies, it was always a physical type game. However, the physicality was limited to just a few players and it wasn't non stop like it is today. It is very evident that the women Huskies can be tough with any level of contact, Stewie especially. Kia is always in the fray and Lou who doesn't look the part, goes into traffic with the best of them. Gabby is imposing with her speed and agility, so she eludes a lot of contact with her athlecticism. Mo is similar to Gabby in this respect but the pounding her small body still absorbs is astounding.
The team's work in the weight room helps immeasurably with their physical game and allows them to be intense on both offense and defense for all 40 minutes with basically only 6-7 players. Meanwhile other teams get tired physically and emotionally.
It's crazy how often Gabby goes into the middle of a group of players fighting for a rebound and comes away with it. She did it a couple of times last night, and I just found myself wondering how she came out of the scrum with the ball.

Reaction Score
This is a great thread: thanks so much Gabbyfan! I'm sure that these kids progressively have got pissed off at how Stewie's getting mugged (such as that ridiculous take down by Ferreira [whom I otherwise really like] last night). I'm sure the coaches have been making this their mantra: you've got the talent to win it all, but do you the toughness? These kids are so mentally and physically tough....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn has always played a physical style of basketball - but they play it with good technique - they move their feet very well to keep their body between the player and the basket and refrain from using their hands and arms except in the manner approved by the rules (which vary year by year.) Kia is the only player who consistently tries to cause contact when going to the basket - the last player like that at Uconn was probably Tiff Hayes and DT was pretty good at it too - just ask Stacey Dales! :cool:

Reaction Score
Yet despite the tough physical game against USF, there were only three foul shots between both teams. It was just good in your face basketball.
I will do something that is not normally done here........ give credit to the refs for letting them play. There was some contact that could have been called, both ways, but the refs were very consistent. Kudos to the refs. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Uconn has always played a physical style of basketball - but they play it with good technique - they move their feet very well to keep their body between the player and the basket and refrain from using their hands and arms except in the manner approved by the rules (which vary year by year.) Kia is the only player who consistently tries to cause contact when going to the basket - the last player like that at Uconn was probably Tiff Hayes and DT was pretty good at it too - just ask Stacey Dales! :cool:
Exactly and kudos to them for the way they play. I remember vividly many years ago a game that Rutgers had a very large number of fouls and the fans were complaining at the next fan club meeting where the coach had brought a player guest (Chelsea Newton at the time). Chelsea replied that if they had played defense the way they were taught, with their feet, and not in a lazy way with their hands, they wouldn't have been called for so many fouls. Of course, it is easier said than done, sometimes.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed is that as Samuelson's confidence has grown so has her toughness. Right now she is not getting the full attention that she will next year and it will be interesting to see how she handles it. I think she will be more than capable but it won't hurt having Natalie Butler and Kyla Irwin on her side either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom