UConn women | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn women

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Most of the critiquing is legitimate and a bunch is actually constructive. But there are a small minority that have that "see, I told you the women's game sucked" quality to them. People you are glad didn't marry your sister.

I wonder if when the men stunk it up a few times last year the women's forum had a thread on how rediculous the men looked and how they failed to get of a last shot?

It's OK to say the team sucked on a given night but when you de-legitimize the whole woman's game, or act like the men never looked pitiful, I think you've got issues.

Reaction Score
Geez sorry I exaggerated and forgot about Baylor. How did the rest of the year go?

SO this is your reply to me?? Really? A self-proclaimed UCONN fan - someone who claims they are a UCONN women's fan -- and your reply is -- you FORGOT? You FORGOT that aruguably the greatest wcbb team of all-time ho happened to play a game on National TV against Baylor (it's not like Baylor was out of the mainstream even though Griner had left) who had their own superstar (Sims- an Olympian) competing agaisnt UCONN -- you forgot the game was close for much of the way?

How could you forget if you are a UCONN fan that possibly the greatest wcbb team ever was in a dogfight pretty late in the game? If you really didn't know then why would you even consider making the below comment? If you can't remmeber the tightest game that the incredible supremely great team had struggled with - how much of a fan of the UCONN women are you?

They haven't had a 6th ranked team, or almost any ranked team, come within 25 points of them in ages. Let's not make this a "ranking" thing because in women basketball ranking means squat.

At least now you realize that your comment above about the 6th ranked team was flat-out wrong and now that this has been brought to your attention that 7th ranked Baylor (at Baylor) gave last year's ALL-TIME GREAT (maybe not better than 01-02 but still All-Time great) UCONN TEAM a very tough game - and Stanford (at Stanford) was NUMBER 6 - and Stanford has beaten UCONN 4 of the last 11 -- its's okay to mention that UCONN had to play a tough ranked team in the opponents gym, is it not?

So going forward I can mention a number 6 ranking of a team and make a pretty big thing out of it, can't I?

Reaction Score
You FORGOT that aruguably the greatest wcbb team of all-time ho happened to play a game on National TV against Baylor

That's not a very nice thing to say about the UConn women. Look what it did to Imus. And I don't know how you compare teams like that.

Reaction Score
OK, since you posted the same thing twice. It's not embarrassing to play bad. And it's not embarrassing to lose. It's not embarrassing to miss a shot. But the disorganization, decisions, thought process, etc at the end of the game were embarrassing (and I'm sure the girls and Geno are pissed about it). It would be embarrassing for an 8th grade basketball team. It resembled 8 year olds basketball. I've no doubt that Geno and crew will resolve the issues and the women will roll by the end of the season.

And make no mistake, if the men did this at the end of a game, they'd be getting absolutely killed (ruthlessly) on here.

I posted the same thing twice but separately because I felt it apporpriate to both you and the other poster.

While this board as a general rule - they roll their eyes about most UCONN women fans such as myself - and you're probably doing the same thing. I got to tell you- I'm doing the dame thing here with your post. DOn't take offense to my post. In no way am I saying you are lying. No way- no how. But I don't believe for one second you won't mention/imply how it "was embarrassing" if UCONN were to lose to nay team other than a 1/2/3/4 over the next few years.

I say this because if you followed their recruting - you'd know they have had power classes which means they have awesome talent coming. Thus it will take more than "just playing bad" for UCONN to lose to a team outside the top 3 or 4. They would have to play horrendous and/or make blunders as well in order to lose. And when that happens you'll do the same thing you are doing now. For them to lose in that manner you and the people now that say this game was embarrasing you'll use the 8th grade stuff or say they didn't play with effort/heart. Not mentally prepared. And then you'll claim "that is worse." Funny how it's always worse the moment you view it.

Bottomline is - imo there is no way you won't go after them the same way you are doing now if they lose to a team that isn't among the few tops. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. They'll have to get beat somehwere (boards/perimeter) and the coach unabl to make moves to counter-act that you'll lash out at the weakness and call it embarrasing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
While this board as a general rule - they roll their eyes about most UCONN women fans such as myself - and you're probably doing the same thing. I got to tell you- I'm doing the dame thing here with your post. DOn't take offense to my post. In no way am I saying you are lying. No way- no how. But I don't believe for one second you won't mention/imply how it "was embarrassing" if UCONN were to lose to nay team other than a 1/2/3/4 over the next few years.

I say this because if you followed their recruting - you'd know they have had power classes which means they have awesome talent coming. Thus it will take more than "just playing bad" for UCONN to lose to a team outside the top 3 or 4. They would have to play horrendous and/or make blunders as well in order to lose. And when that happens you'll do the same thing you are doing now. For them to lose in that manner you and the people now that say this game was embarrasing you'll use the 8th grade stuff or say they didn't play with effort/heart. Not mentally prepared. And then you'll claim "that is worse." Funny how it's always worse the moment you view it.

Bottomline is - imo there is no way you won't go after them the same way you are doing now if they lose to a team that isn't among the few tops. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. They'll have to get beat somehwere (boards/perimeter) and the coach unabl to make moves to counter-act that you'll lash out at the weakness and call it embarrasing.

I don't take offense in the least. There's not as much getting offended over on this board. I'm completely unemotional about it.

And the above isn't true. They can play bad and lose (heck, they can play just ok, and a far worse team could shoot them out of the building). They did it at Stanford a few years ago with Maya. It wasn't embarrassing. They lost to Villanova (a worse team than Stanford) in the BET with Diana, and it wasn't embarrassing. Lost to the Johnnies (iirc) a while back and that wasn't embarrassing. It sucked, but wasn't embarrassing. UCONN's end of game efforts against were shown all over the internet, among all sorts of people who aren't WCBB fans, and were summarily laughed at. UCONN could have had a bunch of 'Not Top Plays' on sportscenter.

For reference, I've watched the women since 1995 or so. I post on the women's board occasionally, but limit it because you've got to step on eggshells most of the time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is there a double-like button somewhere around here?
doublelike.jpg

Reaction Score
SO this is your reply to me?? Really? A self-proclaimed UCONN fan - someone who claims they are a UCONN women's fan -- and your reply is -- you FORGOT? You FORGOT that aruguably the greatest wcbb team of all-time ho happened to play a game on National TV against Baylor (it's not like Baylor was out of the mainstream even though Griner had left) who had their own superstar (Sims- an Olympian) competing agaisnt UCONN -- you forgot the game was close for much of the way?

How could you forget if you are a UCONN fan that possibly the greatest wcbb team ever was in a dogfight pretty late in the game? If you really didn't know then why would you even consider making the below comment? If you can't remmeber the tightest game that the incredible supremely great team had struggled with - how much of a fan of the UCONN women are you?

They haven't had a 6th ranked team, or almost any ranked team, come within 25 points of them in ages. Let's not make this a "ranking" thing because in women basketball ranking means squat.

At least now you realize that your comment above about the 6th ranked team was flat-out wrong and now that this has been brought to your attention that 7th ranked Baylor (at Baylor) gave last year's ALL-TIME GREAT (maybe not better than 01-02 but still All-Time great) UCONN TEAM a very tough game - and Stanford (at Stanford) was NUMBER 6 - and Stanford has beaten UCONN 4 of the last 11 -- its's okay to mention that UCONN had to play a tough ranked team in the opponents gym, is it not?

So going forward I can mention a number 6 ranking of a team and make a pretty big thing out of it, can't I?

You're a joke you know that right? If you want to talk about basketball let's talk. I am quite sure just by a couple of back and forths with you I have forgotten more than you will ever know. I admittedly know more about the rankings, stats and other BS of the men's competition but who cares. Seriously this started about basketball, not about who was ranked 6 or 7 or who the biggest UConn women fan is. Talk about how the game ended, what transpired from an on the court issue not what the hell each was ranked., They were awful down the stretch unlike other UConn teams. Geno was horrible down the stretch and his team looked confused in the last seconds of overtime. Instead of all your BS stats, talk about how you feel about them handing this one to Stanford and quit trying to paint that rosey picture okay.

Otherwise move on you're using up valuable basketball space!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't take offense in the least. There's not as much getting offended over on this board. I'm completely unemotional about it.

And the above isn't true. They can play bad and lose (heck, they can play just ok, and a far worse team could shoot them out of the building). They did it at Stanford a few years ago with Maya. It wasn't embarrassing. They lost to Villanova (a worse team than Stanford) in the BET with Diana, and it wasn't embarrassing. Lost to the Johnnies (iirc) a while back and that wasn't embarrassing. It sucked, but wasn't embarrassing. UCONN's end of game efforts against were shown all over the internet, among all sorts of people who aren't WCBB fans, and were summarily laughed at. UCONN could have had a bunch of 'Not Top Plays' on sportscenter.

For reference, I've watched the women since 1995 or so. I post on the women's board occasionally, but limit it because you've got to step on eggshells most of the time.

I don't want to go on with this much more. I usually lurk on the men's board and I like the poster mau - apparently the feeling is not mutual. I asked him before but he didn't answer if he used to post on the old hartford courant board - a long long time ago - though I don't recall nor do I recall I had beefs with him. But I just wanted to get back to you - I like your post for a much different reason. Anyhow to start with you missed my point.

All 3 UCONN teams you speak were "marginally great or not quite great" but I was speaking of the talented supreme great which is why I specifically spoke of future recruiting. The UCONN teams you reference - the DT team one year they were a 2 seed - 1 year a bottom 1 seed. They had 1 a/a - DT. The other team - TiffanyHayes was there best upperclassman. Other than that they were led by frosh and soph- they lost 5 games that year. Tht was a terrfic gritty team but not a super team. This year's team was UNANIMOUS number 1. I expect UCONN to win this year (ofc they could lose)- next year they will be an extreme giant as well. Then 2 years later - a supreme giant again more than likely. You'll hear the media and these boards etc and friends speak of the extreme greatnes of these team and IF they lose to a number 5 team or worse - I am certain you'll find an excuse (I could use a abtter word here than "excuse - maybe "a reason? But to me an "excuse.") to call them "embrassing" because for them to lose to that type of team something horrendeous had to go wrong. Effort? Husltle? Not ready to play? Or them to lose to a team so lowly rated something inexcusable in the eyes of some would have to break down. The games you currently identify- those UCONN teams (one won a title) were't considered all-time great. UCONN women frequently have all-time great teams. And the game UCONN lost - Maya - lost to Stanford- Stanford was a final four team- and that UCONN team wasn't super great either.

What I wanted to mention I found funny is how we look at things- no right or wrong - I've followed UCONN men since the 1970's - Tony Hanson. I believe he went off as a frosh in the NIT. Anyhow, I "laughed" (figuratively) at women's basketball for a long, long time. I used to get into hammering players. "too soft " - no outside shot ... Not a battler etc. But the hammering of Taleik Brown - imo got way out of control. So while you say you walk on eggshells mostly over there- I think over here I feel like I mostly have to fire/release bombshells in order to fit in.

Reaction Score
I don't want to go on with this much more. I usually lurk on the men's board and I like the poster mau - apparently the feeling is not mutual. I asked him before but he didn't answer if he used to post on the old hartford courant board - a long long time ago - though I don't recall nor do I recall I had beefs with him. But I just wanted to get back to you - I like your post for a much different reason. Anyhow to start with you missed my point.

All 3 UCONN teams you speak were "marginally great or not quite great" but I was speaking of the talented supreme great which is why I specifically spoke of future recruiting. The UCONN teams you reference - the DT team one year they were a 2 seed - 1 year a bottom 1 seed. They had 1 a/a - DT. The other team - TiffanyHayes was there best upperclassman. Other than that they were led by frosh and soph- they lost 5 games that year. Tht was a terrfic gritty team but not a super team. This year's team was UNANIMOUS number 1. I expect UCONN to win this year (ofc they could lose)- next year they will be an extreme giant as well. Then 2 years later - a supreme giant again more than likely. You'll hear the media and these boards etc and friends speak of the extreme greatnes of these team and IF they lose to a number 5 team or worse - I am certain you'll find an excuse (I could use a abtter word here than "excuse - maybe "a reason? But to me an "excuse.") to call them "embrassing" because for them to lose to that type of team something horrendeous had to go wrong. Effort? Husltle? Not ready to play? Or them to lose to a team so lowly rated something inexcusable in the eyes of some would have to break down. The games you currently identify- those UCONN teams (one won a title) were't considered all-time great. UCONN women frequently have all-time great teams. And the game UCONN lost - Maya - lost to Stanford- Stanford was a final four team- and that UCONN team wasn't super great either.

What I wanted to mention I found funny is how we look at things- no right or wrong - I've followed UCONN men since the 1970's - Tony Hanson. I believe he went off as a frosh in the NIT. Anyhow, I "laughed" (figuratively) at women's basketball for a long, long time. I used to get into hammering players. "too soft " - no outside shot ... Not a battler etc. But the hammering of Taleik Brown - imo got way out of control. So while you say you walk on eggshells mostly over there- I think over here I feel like I mostly have to fire/release bombshells in order to fit in.

Listen not reading this whole thing. Liking the poster mau would be liking the fact this whole things started talking about the game the other night. And it will end saying I hope you still like mau (I wouldn't sometime lol) but the way you turned this thread doesn't make me a fan of you for now. Look a little more at the beginning and what the intent was and not what you think it was. Your passion for the women did get your panties in a wrinkle and instead of talking about the facts you immediately defended the loss. That's all good but you need to stay on point and explain what happened if you're a fan, not what is okay because "We've been so damn good". I am sure you're a very good person, super fan and I do not mean to offend you, but you took this off track, tried to make others look stupid and you just need to know this. I see highlighted stuff above about Tiffany Hayes, Maya and Taliek while I am typing here and I do need to know what this has to do with a Husky team who had an apple stuck in their throats from the 6 minutes left mark in regulation? Gene had the core moving around in his too - explain?

Reaction Score
Truce - done with this nonsense ok. No need to explain we're all UConn fans.

Agree to disagree and turn this thread off. All good let's move on to better things like Dayton! ;)

Reaction Score
Truce - done with this nonsense ok. No need to explain we're all UConn fans.

Agree to disagree and turn this thread off. All good let's move on to better things like Dayton! ;)

Done!

Did you used to post on the old Hatford Courant board?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
hoophuskee, they played poorly down the stretch at Stanford, time to deal with it and stop fighting with UConn fans because OMG something bad was said about the Women's team

and did you ever read what we have said about the men's teams over time? does that mean we're not fans of them either?

c'mon man, let it go

don't be mad because Jim Calhoun built UConn and made everything else possible :)

Reaction Score
hoophuskee, they played poorly down the stretch at Stanford, time to deal with it and stop fighting with UConn fans because OMG something bad was said about the Women's team

and did you ever read what we have said about the men's teams over time? does that mean we're not fans of them either?

c'mon man, let it go

don't be mad because Jim Calhoun built UConn and made everything else possible :)

willie if you want to talk would be happy to do it- but either pm me or I agreed per mau's request- so for oyu just let it go too. You saw I wrote that to mau I'd let it go- so what is the intent of your post? You didn't read my last one to mau? Anyhow - I just want to say it's evdient you barely read a thing I said espcially to the poster "intcz"? (my 2nd to last post). If you had read thtathe last para - yoo'd know your way off withthe post you just made.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I didn't read every post, I didn't read your last posts, I was working off your body of work found in this thread. I think you even went at me once (somebody did) and I didn't say anything too bad IMHO (I've said far worse)

Anyhow, you're a passionate fan, so am I. I'm proud of the women's team and enjoy watching them year in and year out

enjoy the ride (and lighten up :))

Reaction Score
While we'll see how Geno & the team adjust and rebound from the loss, I just saw that Stanford used all the momentum from their big, rush-the-court win to lose to Texas at home.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Ok, just a few more things and I'm done.

1. First of all, I'm quite certain you have no idea what I would do or say following a hypothetical loss by a 'supreme' UCONN team sometime in the future. I'm certain that I am the only one who knows that. And I'm telling you how I feel and would act. If that's not enough, I don't know what to tell you.

2. I didn't miss the point of your post. I was pointing out that the WAY they lose is important, regardless of their level of talent. Even if one of the most stacked UCONN teams lost, whether because of poor shooting, or lack of effort, or another team being on fire, I would not feel embarrassed for them. Disappointed and pissed, yes, but not embarrassed.

The embarrassment stems solely from the fact they made so many mental mistakes and the quality of their play with respect to those mental mistakes was so poor, that they were a laughing stock nationally. It was so fundamentally far from proper basketball, that it was shocking. It falls first on Geno, then on the staff, then on the players.

And make no mistake, they have a very, very talented team right now. Potentially 3 First Team All Americans. They will not recruit anyone in the next 5 years who will be as good as Stewie. She might end up being a top 5 all time WBB internationally before it's said and done.

3. The upside: despite said mental mistakes and disorganization, they lost by 2 in OT on the road against one of the better teams in the country. Furthermore, their errors are wholly correctable.

4. No need to fire bombshells. In fact, the more reasonable posters are generally the most respected, except for a few wildcards. There are plenty of idiots over here.

5. The TB bashing was beyond ridiculous, yes. Hell, it still goes on. He was one of my favorite players too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Listen not reading this whole thing. Liking the poster mau would be liking the fact this whole things started talking about the game the other night. And it will end saying I hope you still like mau (I wouldn't sometime lol) but the way you turned this thread doesn't make me a fan of you for now.

I like you most of the time ma, but sometimes you can be a real pain in the @ss. Thinking about it, mostly when talking about other sports. Then you are completely delusional.

: D

Reaction Score
I like you most of the time ma, but sometimes you can be a real pain in the @ss. Thinking about it, mostly when talking about other sports. Then you are completely delusional.

: D

Is womens basketball another sport intlzncster? How screwed up are you? Bounce it, pass it, shoot it, defend it?

If it is then I believe it is YOU that is delusional at times....actually I would stake my claim on you and not me pal! But have fun with it .....whatever! Although I appreciate your posts I rarely believe you ever played in a game in your life - you okay with that assumption?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Is womens basketball another sport intlzncster? How screwed up are you? Bounce it, pass it, shoot it, defend it?

If it is then I believe it is YOU that is delusional at times....actually I would stake my claim on you and not me pal! But have fun with it .....whatever! Although I appreciate your posts I rarely believe you ever played in a game in your life - you okay with that assumption?

You know I was joking right? Hence the smiley face.

I played some organized ball over the years, but not a lot. Obviously a lot of pickup. Classic new England kid: Hockey, soccer, lacrosse. Walked on D1 soccer, but quit - too much time for no scholly .

Though the sports of choice these days are snowboarding, surfing.....and wait for it... Disc golf! Grew up on regular golf, but found DG much more fun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You know I was joking right? Hence the smiley face.

I played some organized ball over the years, but not a lot. Obviously a lot of pickup. Classic new England kid: Hockey, soccer, lacrosse. Walked on D1 soccer, but quit - too much time for no scholly .

Though the sports of choice these days are snowboarding, surfing.....and wait for it... Disc golf! Grew up on regular golf, but found DG much more fun.

:) :)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks Geno, after some sloppy play, wanted them to learn a lesson?
I think I've seen him do it before. Just kind of detach when they are screwing up. Like his version of JC's not joining the team huddle when he was pissed.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks Geno, after some sloppy play, wanted them to learn a lesson?
I think I've seen him do it before. Just kind of detach when they are screwing up. Like his version of JC's not joining the team huddle when he was pissed.

In one sense, yes, but in another, no. He loves that 'lesson' concept, but I don't think he just turned around and did nothing for the last quarter of the game or anything.

I do know that inwardly, he likely loves that they lost. People might scoff at this notion, but can you imagine what it must be like to coach a team that hasn't lost in well over a year? What exactly are you supposed to tell them to do? Don't do 'so and so' because you'll lose? He's been effectively superfluous at times.

Reaction Score
They will get better, but have to find a way to hide KML on defense. She's a huge liability.
What was really horrific was the defense of Saniya Chong. She was the defender who allowed so many penetrations and layups in the last minutes of regulation and into overtime when the freshman, Kia Nurse fouled out. Saniya had a nice offensive game but gave up way more on the defensive side.

Reaction Score
Saw that, the refs in the women's game are so much worse than the men's.
I can't believe how bad women's basketball referee's are! They must actually attempt to recruit the worst because game after game after game, I'm stunned by the total inconsistencies and the random calls that are so horrific. Even in the tournament, where you would think they'd get the best of the best, they make some of the worst calls known to man. There were many calls the other night (for both teams) that were so decisively NO CALLS because they didn't exist or because they had no effect on the flow of the game but they were called anyway. The two players that UConn lost were the most effective defender they had (Kia Nurse, the freshman) and Morgan Tuck, who in the overtime was the only offensive threat that UConn had. It seemed Stewart left the building in the later part of the game, probably because she was continually being mauled on the inside on EVERY play.

Reaction Score
I have to laugh at the piling on here after one loss by one hoop in OT 3.000 miles from home.
I think it's because it was on national TV and a team that usually plays sooooooo well, made so many bone head decisions down the stretch. Play after play, they shot themselves in the foot. Just a little shocking! Although Stanford played hard and played well, it was more a matter of UConn losing than Stanford winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom