UConn women | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn women

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Except the ball is smaller. I remember people on the Women's board arguing with me when I said it is easier to shoot. I was told the smaller ball makes it harder to get in.

That's untrue

Reaction Score
So when the women's team loses in a close game to the #6 team in the country, after going undefeated for 47 games, it's because the women's game isn't "fundamentally sound." Yet when the men play terribly against D 1-AA teams all you hear is wait till March....interesting...

Where did this clueless dope show up from on their 3rd post? Wow you're brilliant huh? Just come out of a coma?...thank parity!

The women play Div 1AA teams 28 times a year.......maybe not legally but that's the competition so don't go there you look really stupid. You may be but don't flaunt it ok!

Reaction Score
The women's team is showing they have no clue how to play in a close game. I guess when you always win by 40 you forget how to execute in a close game. The last minute UConn just let the Stanford guards go in for uncontested layups and then they give up the wide open three for the tie. Hope they find a way to pull it out in OT but this is dreadful to watch.

They missed a ton of open shots and missed several lay-ups and the free throw shooting was atrocious and still managed to take the game into overtime. That 3 that Orange hit was unbelievable. I don't think there was a Uconn player any closer than 10 feet away. she was wide wide open for the tie.

Reaction Score
They missed a ton of open shots and missed several lay-ups and the free throw shooting was atrocious and still managed to take the game into overtime. That 3 that Orange hit was unbelievable. I don't think there was a Uconn player any closer than 10 feet away. she was wide wide open for the tie.

All this being said. It was the 2nd game of the regular season against a top ten team on their homecourt. I know that Geno looks at this game as a teaching moment. He can see exactly what needs to b done to compete against the best in the country. stnford is not that great, but Uconn isn't either and needs a lot of work in defense to be sure. stewie was getting mauled up front and Greenfield could have been whistled for several of her guarding tactics, but she wasn't because of the homefield discount.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Guys...guys. They lost an overtime game to a top team. I think there are a number of men here who enjoy a loss for the women. Not sure what that is about.
For those that are truly worried about the state of UCONN women's basketball, don't be. They played a horrible game. I've seen Geno not jump in if he wants them to learn a lesson before. He doesn't suddenly suck and neither does the team. They will come back, be dominantand win another championship

Reaction Score
There's a little bit of disconnect here. I'll just speak for myself - the fact that they lost is no big deal. The fact that they weren't crisp in the halfcourt or had trouble figuring out their defensive rotations or took bad shots - that's early season growing pains and stuff they have time to figure out.

What prompted me to chime in is that they had five or six brain dead mental mistakes under pressure that made my eyeballs bleed. We're talking high school JV level understanding of time and score - chucking deep shots early in the shot clock up 5 and less than 2 minutes to go, leaving a 3 point shooter in the final seconds up 3, going for 2 in the final seconds down 3, one-touching the ball back to the inbounds passer before she has time to get her feet set inbounds up 1 with 15 seconds left (we caught a break that they called the foul first). And to top it all off, how does your starting five take the floor after essentially a timeout (for a monitor review) with time for one last gasp desperation effort, and nobody knows what they are running or who is inbounding the ball? (we weren't going to win anyway without a halfcourt heave going in, but that doesn't mean you dribble out the clock in the backcourt). If our men's team did all these things over the course of an entire season, I would question their poise under pressure, and be a nervous wreck if they were ever in a close game. This was all in one night.

And the last time they lost (the infamous alley oop with 17 seconds left in a tied Big East championship game) was even worse. In between, they haven't had any late game pressure to speak of. Geno's awesome and all - he uses championship banners to check his oil, and I wouldn't trade him for anyone. But he's famous for nit picking poor execution in a game his team is winning by 30-40 because he demands perfection from his teams. Well, he needs to be nit-picked a little. We're 2-9 in our last 11 close games.

Reaction Score
Guys...guys. They lost an overtime game to a top team. I think there are a number of men here who enjoy a loss for the women. Not sure what that is about.
For those that are truly worried about the state of UCONN women's basketball, don't be. They played a horrible game. I've seen Geno not jump in if he wants them to learn a lesson before. He doesn't suddenly suck and neither does the team. They will come back, be dominantand win another championship

How dare they not go undefeated every year!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Where did this clueless dope show up from on their 3rd post? Wow you're brilliant huh? Just come out of a coma?...thank parity!

The women play Div 1AA teams 28 times a year..maybe not legally but that's the competition so don't go there you look really stupid. You may be but don't flaunt it ok!

What's interesting is you didn't discredit anything I posted you just called me names interesting way of refuting a point...please tell me more.

Reaction Score
What's interesting is you didn't discredit anything I posted you just called me names interesting way of refuting a point...please tell me more.

You're right. It wasn't a lack of fundamentals. It was that they played a team that was in their orbit and they had absolutely no idea how to close out a tight game. That last possession - if we can even call it that - was embarrassing. "Hey, guys, 2.6 seconds on the clock - let's not even get the ball over half court when the other team isn't defending us!"

Reaction Score
You're right. It wasn't a lack of fundamentals. It was that they played a team that was in their orbit and they had absolutely no idea how to close out a tight game. That last possession - if we can even call it that - was embarrassing. "Hey, guys, 2.6 seconds on the clock - let's not even get the ball over half court when the other team isn't defending us!"

OMG - not another doom post?

yeah it's so embarrasign that the number 1 team loses an away game to a number 6 team. Sooooo embarrassing - will they ever be able to compete again?

I guess they'll have their work cut out for them going forward. LOL

Reaction Score

yeah it's so embarrasign that the number 1 team loses an away game to a number 6 team. Sooooo embarrassing - will they ever be able to compete again?

That last possession - if we can even call it that - was embarrassing.

You're not very good at this. Maybe wait until high school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Except the ball is smaller. I remember people on the Women's board arguing with me when I said it is easier to shoot. I was told the smaller ball makes it harder to get in.
I think the woman should get rid of the smaller ball. It's an excuse to delegitimize the woman's game. While I sure it is a bit easier to handle I doubt it makes all that much difference for shooting.

A bit OT: A reporter who played HS ball decides that he'll play Diana Taurasi one on one probably just after she graduated. They play and Taurasi is schooling him. The reporter says I know why I'm losing it's because we are using a woman's ball. Taurasi says "well go get a men's ball, hell go a golf ball and a bowling ball. I'll beat you with any of them." I always liked her.

Back to the men vs. women issue. Auriema was once asked how his team, which was ranked #1 would do against a struggling UConn men's team a few years back. Geno said the score would be whatever the men wanted it to be. If they wanted it to 100 to 0 then that's what it would be. If they wanted it to closer, than that's what it would be.

Reaction Score
I think the woman should get rid of the smaller ball. It's an excuse to delegitimize the woman's game. While I sure it is a bit easier to handle I doubt it makes all that much difference for shooting.

If the men's hoop circumference was increased slightly, do you think their shooting % would increase?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the men's hoop circumference was increased slightly, do you think their shooting % would increase?
Maybe. Would it be relevant to the outcome of a game? I guess that would depend on the amount of the difference.

Reaction Score
That last possession - if we can even call it that - was embarrassing.

You're not very good at this. Maybe wait until high school.

It was so embarrasing for this team whose core has won 2 titles and had a 47 game winning streak - yeah that ONE possession "was so embarrassing." Will they ever be able to show their faces again?

Well maybe someone can start another thread when two good team play each other and you can provide such valued insight that each team will have their work cut out for them.

Reaction Score

They haven't had a 6th ranked team, or almost any ranked team, come within 25 points of them in ages. Let's not make this a "ranking" thing because in women basketball ranking means squat. UConn is the the best, they played a decent team at their place. In the past you know what that meant? Struggle for about 10 minutes then win by 30. The trees beat them up, they were faster in the guard position and they defended a lot better. This is all a result of the men's board talking about what they didn't do well and how Geno was outcoached for the 1st time in ages. Again, how dare we have that discussion about our women Huskies? I mean it can't be true that KLM is slow, overweight and can't guard a 60 year old? Chong can score but is a chair-like defender as we see it for now. The team wasn't ready to do the right thing down the stretch of OT - first of all not take a free lane for a layup with 3 seconds left when you need a 3 and then to not at least get heave off? As said above JV high school hoops stuff. If you're happy with that as a fan you WIN! Not sure you want to know what you win but I'm sure you and polycom will figure it out. Stay on the other board if this stuff frightens you please.

Reaction Score
It was so embarrasing for this team whose core has won 2 titles and had a 47 game winning streak - yeah that ONE possession "was so embarrassing." Will they ever be able to show their faces again?

Well maybe someone can start another thread when two good team play each other and you can provide such valued insight that each team will have their work cut out for them.

You are clueless, please stop trying so hard to prove it and go back to where you belong. This isn't a place for people who can't accept criticism when they lose. Let's only talk about the great things that happen in 90 point wins over UC Davis right - nice little fantasy land you have!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
They haven't had a 6th ranked team, or almost any ranked team, come within 25 points of them in ages. Let's not make this a "ranking" thing because in women basketball ranking means squat. .

Your post is is garbage. Want to try again withttu extreme exaggeration please? Are you that bitter and jeleous of the women? I'v seen your posts they are all well thought - not this crap you just posted. After the 1st two sentences I had to stop. Ten games within 25 last year. But "its been ages," right?

More importantly Stanford has beaten UCONN 4 of the past 11. It is SO EMBARRASSING that the two time champs lost in Stanford. NBA teams have a hard time sweeiping. College kids are more-than-likely to have major up-and-downs - which is why they aren't pros. And then we hear garbage of a two-tiem champion being "embarrassed" that they lost to a perennial power hosue with a fanatstic coach in oovertime. Unreal.

Were you on the old Hartford Courant Board a long time go?

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/stanford.html
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/111513md.html
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/archive/conn-w-baskbl-sched-2013.html
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/archive/conn-w-baskbl-sched-2013.html
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/archive/conn-w-baskbl-sched-2013.htmlhttp://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/033114.html
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/033114.html
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/040814.html

Reaction Score
You are clueless, please stop trying so hard to prove it and go back to where you belong. This isn't a place for people who can't accept criticism when they lose. Let's only talk about the great things that happen in 90 point wins over UC Davis right - nice little fantasy land you have!:rolleyes:

I can take accept crticism. Its the bitterness of fans like you that is so laugahble. I critized them- Jefferson among my favorite players I said was awful. I said KML was terrible too. I said I was shocked that the pre-season number 2 and number 11 palyers could be so badly outplayed.

I just get a laugh when I come on to the men's board. A loss and some of the lunatics run wild.

I remmeber the old days on the men's baord - Taleik Brown was balmed for everyhing. ANd when UCONN won - many of the looneys woudl say UCONN won despite him nd used "poitsn scored" and fg% as their reasons.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They haven't had a 6th ranked team, or almost any ranked team, come within 25 points of them in ages. Let's not make this a "ranking" thing because in women basketball ranking means squat. UConn is the the best, they played a decent team at their place. In the past you know what that meant? Struggle for about 10 minutes then win by 30. The trees beat them up, they were faster in the guard position and they defended a lot better. This is all a result of the men's board talking about what they didn't do well and how Geno was outcoached for the 1st time in ages. Again, how dare we have that discussion about our women Huskies? I mean it can't be true that KLM is slow, overweight and can't guard a 60 year old? Chong can score but is a chair-like defender as we see it for now. The team wasn't ready to do the right thing down the stretch of OT - first of all not take a free lane for a layup with 3 seconds left when you need a 3 and then to not at least get heave off? As said above JV high school hoops stuff. If you're happy with that as a fan you WIN! Not sure you want to know what you win but I'm sure you and polycom will figure it out. Stay on the other board if this stuff frightens you please.

Not for nothing, but this reminds me of another loss they had at Maples a few years ago when Maya was around. The 90 game streak busting loss? Tough place to play, Maples.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
More importantly Stanford has beaten UCONN 4 of the past 11. It is SO EMBARRASSING that the two time champs lost in Stanford.

It's not embarrassing that they lost. It's embarrassing how they lost. They stunk it up. It's impossible to argue that they played or coached well in crunch time.

On the bright side, they didn't play well, and still lost by only two point, on the road, in Over Time. That's a positive.

Reaction Score
So, the closest game was 11 and the second closest was 17. Yeah, they sure were challenged last year.

1--- That's not what he said. But nice spin.
2--- The 11 point game was 5 points with 3:50 left and 7 with 1:25 left. But "No one in ages came within 25 of them," though - right?" And Baylor was number 7 in the country.
3--- Thatteam was regarded as one of the greatest ever in UCONN history so yeah let's compare every season to that season. ANd if you lose- it's an embarassment. SO says the people behind a computer. Yeah - that makes sense.

Reaction Score
It's not embarrassing that they lost. It's embarrassing how they lost. They stunk it up. It's impossible to argue that they played or coached well in crunch time.

On the bright side, they didn't play well, and still lost by only two point, on the road, in Over Time. That's a positive.

Embarrasing for who?
You're right they didn't play well. They played terrible down the stretch. They cracked.

You realize when a far superior talented team loses - the chances are they have had to have played poorly, don't you? SO UCONN has among the best classes coming in next year and so far has a good 2016 class -so if they lose to any team outside the top 3- they would have to play poorly more than likely- that will always be embarrasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom