UConn v. Ville | The Boneyard

UConn v. Ville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn Baseball (@UConnBaseball)
5/11/13, 2:24 PM
FINAL: UofL 8, UConn 0. Huskies shutout for the third time this season. Game two is tentatively a 2:40 start.

Shame... Flaming out.

Reaction Score
Louisville is up 5-0 in the 7th inning. The nationally ranked Cardinals are dominating UConn in every way in the doubleheader today.

In other news, Georgetown lost the first game of their doubleheader to Rutgers by the score of 17-3, I believe. One more Georgetown loss means we will see UConn baseball at the Big East tourney.

Reaction Score
Louisville is up 5-0 in the 7th inning. The nationally ranked Cardinals are dominating UConn in every way in the doubleheader today.

In other news, Georgetown lost the first game of their doubleheader to Rutgers by the score of 17-3, I believe. One more Georgetown loss means we will see UConn baseball at the Big East tourney.

Yeah... But I would wish UConn would take care of their own business so I don't have to root for Rutty (makes my skin crawl).

Reaction Score
UConn Baseball (@UConnBaseball)
5/11/13, 5:35 PM
FINAL: UofL 6, UConn 0. Huskies tand Cards play in tomorrow at 11:00 am.

Reaction Score
Nothing like backing into to the post season. Another great offensively productive day. 2-11 on first pitch contact. When will Penders get it through his thick skull to make his guys take a few pitches and make the other pitcher work a little. No runs in 18 innings. Starters can work deep into games because we swing early and often. I have to believe things will get better and that this team is just young but there is enough veteran leadership that it shouldn't be tis bad right now. And it is bad. Put a fork in them they are done. Hopefully if they can back into the Big East Tourney something will all of a sudden trigger because you know they have the capability to get it done, it just isn't happening now. They have to and I stress have to be more patient at the plate and make the other pitcher throw more pitches. Why Oh why do we insist on swinging so early in counts. It is not working. Coach Penders, it is not working!!

Reaction Score
Yeah... But I would wish UConn would take care of their own business so I don't have to root for Rutty (makes my skin crawl).

Yes, UConn winning a game would be a nice change of pace. At any rate, Georgetown lost the second game of the doubleheader to Rutgers as well, so UConn baseball is in the Big East tourney.

Reaction Score
We are losing in the BE big time. We need to get a few wins to set the tempo for next year. This year's team is young. But, with Mazilli & Ferriter graduating, and who knows what path our 3 current w/e starters choose, we will be even younger next season.
Great talent coming in (providing 2-3 don't go with MLB) But, realistically, if everybody comes back, and the recruits all enter in Sept. we are still another year away from being a solid team. Meaning Siena's junior year.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately it seems as if Siena has hit the Freshmen wall. I think the long season and playing every game is taking it's toll on him. Even moving to a DH roll his batting has just plummeted.

Reaction Score
Daniello gets to second to lead off the bottom of the 6th. Sundberg apparently can't get him down to 3rd with a bunt, he strikes out followed up by strike outs by Verdi and Paul. 9k's on the day for UConn. Does this team not choke up on the bat and try to make contact. The few games I have watched this year this team still swings for the fences with 2 strikes on them. 3 straight innings we got the leadoff man on and have been able to produce absolutely nothing.

Reaction Score
Top of the 7th it's coming unglued. Tabakman starting to lose it, however for a guy who has been used in relief the entire year not sure why Penders is trying to stretch him into the 7th? Not helped by another error, 3 on the day and 2 of the 3 runs are unearned. Another game, same story.

Reaction Score
Top of the 7th it's coming unglued. Tabakman starting to lose it, however for a guy who has been used in relief the entire year not sure why Penders is trying to stretch him into the 7th? Not helped by another error, 3 on the day and 2 of the 3 runs are unearned. Another game, same story.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Tabakman next season. He has been a swing man all season, having been a replacement starter for Ward during the weekend conference series several times this season, as well as having been used in key situations in relief, as Penders obviously thinks quite highly of him. I expect that Tabakman will either be the closer or a weekend starter next season.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately it seems as if Siena has hit the Freshmen wall. I think the long season and playing every game is taking it's toll on him. Even moving to a DH roll his batting has just plummeted.

Mazzilli will be gone next season, and perhaps Verdi as well. No doubt Siena will be back in his natural position as a middle infielder next season. Maybe not having the stress of having to learn an unfamiliar position will help him and his confidence out.

Reaction Score
Good god - I get that Louisville is #8-10 in NCAA (depending on poll) but only 1 run in three games. Better figure something novel out in next 4 games or they will be an easy quick out in BE Tourney.

Reaction Score
Mazzilli will be gone next season, and perhaps Verdi as well. No doubt Siena will be back in his natural position as a middle infielder next season. Maybe not having the stress of having to learn an unfamiliar position will help him and his confidence out.

Reaction Score
has nothing to do with position switch.... and everything to do with facing south florida and louisville's 1's, 2's and 3's. not quinnipiac's and yale's number 4. these guys are not easy to hit. will only get tougher in big east tourney. sienna's done pretty well for frosh

Reaction Score
I went to the game yesterday and came away really annoyed. Not because they lost ( I was upset about that). But because of the actions of the coaches. Yesterday was senior day, and the players families threw a nice post game buffet for the team. But before the buffet they recoginzed the 8 seniors. It was very nice relaying some info and private stuff about them. It was done very well and was entertaining to hear. What annoyed me was that I noticed the coaches did not even stick around for the introduction or recognition of the seniors. Instead they got in their cars and left. If these are their "Boys" shouldnt they have shown them a little respect and at least stuck around during this? I understand that they would not want to be around the families at the buffet but to walk out on this moment I thought was classless. It just seemed strange that myself and a few others who are not associated with the players stuck around to support them and their own coaches were not. Is this an example of the coaches quitting on the players? What kind of message does that send them. I am sure they had to notice what I noticed. The coaches actions may just explain what has been going on with the team over the past few weeks. Again I could be totally misreading what I saw. Just wanted to throw that out there. Anybody else notice that?

Reaction Score
I witnessed the same thing. There is obvious a lack of respect that the coaches have for there players

Reaction Score
Clearly you can see something is going on with this team, they just seem to be disinterested and have packed the bags on this season. I hope they can still flip the switch and get it going in the tourney but seems highly unlikely. As far as Penders is concerned I have never questioned his ability to recruit, but his coaching and now what you mention above certainly leaves some things to be questioned.

Reaction Score
Did Penders leave, too, or was it just the assistants? One can judge what Penders feels about his teams. Two years ago we received a weekly "Catching up with UConn baseball" messages. This year we have only had 3-4. With the last being over a month ago. Perhaps 2 months ago.

Reaction Score
Nothing like backing into to the post season. Another great offensively productive day. 2-11 on first pitch contact. When will Penders get it through his thick skull to make his guys take a few pitches and make the other pitcher work a little. No runs in 18 innings. Starters can work deep into games because we swing early and often. I have to believe things will get better and that this team is just young but there is enough veteran leadership that it shouldn't be tis bad right now. And it is bad. Put a fork in them they are done. Hopefully if they can back into the Big East Tourney something will all of a sudden trigger because you know they have the capability to get it done, it just isn't happening now. They have to and I stress have to be more patient at the plate and make the other pitcher throw more pitches. Why Oh why do we insist on swinging so early in counts. It is not working. Coach Penders, it is not working!!
Here is a perfect example of what I am referring to. Second inning of Rhode Island game down 2-0, the pitcher just walked 2 guys in a row on 5 pitches each to load up the bases, then Daniello gets hit by pitch on the very first pitch to make it 2-1. Verdi comes up, as a coach I would absolutely make him take a strike, pitches is obviously wild. What does Verdi do in traditional UConn fashion, swing at the first pitch and flies out. Sometimes you just have to use common sense and go with the flow of the game. If the pitch was right down the middle of the plate then so be it, but this teams average on first pitch contact is horrible.

Reaction Score
Did Penders leave, too, or was it just the assistants? One can judge what Penders feels about his teams. Two years ago we received a weekly "Catching up with UConn baseball" messages. This year we have only had 3-4. With the last being over a month ago. Perhaps 2 months ago.
Yes Penders left as well.....I was shocked as I was watching him leave..

Reaction Score
Another solid effort early today. Down 6-1 after three.

Reaction Score
I guess they are dead set on sticking with one midweek starter... Penders loves his swagger ....Results don't matter.. just swagger matters

Reaction Score
Top of the 4th, first two guys get on. Rally time. Not! Catcher throws down to second and picks off Siena. Unreal. What the heck is this team thinking some times?

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 2:17pm via Web
FINAL: URI 7, UConn 3. Huskies head to George Mason for a three-game non-conference set before the BIG EAST Tourney.

fail.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak