UConn v. CCSU @ Winter Haven FLA | The Boneyard

UConn v. CCSU @ Winter Haven FLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn Baseball‏@UConnBaseball54m
#UConn and Central Connecticut are underway in Winter Haven, Fla. Follow live stats: http://www.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mbasebl.html?event=1305823&school=cbs&sport=mbasebl&camefrom=&startschool=&… #BleedBlue

#UConn lineup Sundberg - CF Yavarone - LF Siena - 2B Davey - RF Melley - 1B McDowell - C Daniello - 3B Sullivan - DH Hill - SS Colletti - P

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
1-1; End of 5th. Over pitched out of a bases loaded jam.

Colletti went 4, giving up 4 hits and an unearned run (though he committed the error).
Davey has a hit and a run scored on Sullivan's Sac Fly.
(RF) Osak has two hits and a run scored for CCSU.

Reaction Score
Back to back innings they got out of bases loaded jams. Bats are not doing too much today.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with this logic. Lead off walk in the 7th by Daniello in a 1-1 game. Sullivan sacs him down to second. I am okay with that somewhat as your ninth place hitter is due up. Daniello tries to steal 3rd and gets nailed. If we are going to try and steal, why not second and save the out and try to get into scoring position that way. Once you did the sac I don't get the attempted steal of third? I know you are trying to get him to third and less than 2 outs but why not try to just steal second and have 3 shots at a single.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Osak is having himself a day. Been on base 4 times and the aforementioned run scored.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Top of 7, 1-1. Due up = UConn 1,2,&3 (Sundburg, Yavarone, and Sienna).

Husky25

Reaction Score
Severino, played all game at 1B, is now pitching.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with this logic. Lead off walk in the 7th by Daniello in a 1-1 game. Sullivan sacs him down to second. I am okay with that somewhat as your ninth place hitter is due up. Daniello tries to steal 3rd and gets nailed. If we are going to try and steal, why not second and save the out and try to get into scoring position that way. Once you did the sac I don't get the attempted steal of third? I know you are trying to get him to third and less than 2 outs but why not try to just steal second and have 3 shots at a single.

We all know Penders loves to be very aggressive on the bases with his base runners. That includes stolen base attempts of all stripes. Certain players of his will always have the green light to steal third. I'm sure Penders believes the team gains more than it loses in attempting to steal third. Trying to steal second is one thing, as in most cases you need to get two hits to score someone from first. However, I've always believed stealing third is a very poor percentage play, as the runner is already in scoring position at second and will have a chance to score on many hits. My line of thought is to make it work you have to have a success rate of over 90%.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Two on (1st & 2nd), one out in the 9th. No real opportunity to bunt them over and a double steal not worth the risk (rarely is).

Sounded like Sullivan wanted to give the Huskies the lead with insurance all on the same swing...Ended up with a backwards K.

Aaron Hill Ks as well.

I apologize but I have to head home. Can't update the boneyard as it is considered texting and driving. I've been told, "...it can wait." :eek:

Reaction Score
While the offense hasn't produced much today, the pitching has done well once again. Last year in his midweek starts Colletti seemed to be constantly walking batters. Today he didn't walk anyone in his four innings. Devin Over and Max Slade have both come in on relief, with both pitching two scoreless innings apiece, even if Over had to get out of a bases loaded jam of his own making.

Reaction Score
UConn gets five runs in the 10th, and ends up winning 6-1.

I believe Chris Jones said during the 10th inning that Anthony Kay will get the Sunday start against South Florida, and that Brian Ward will be coming out of the bullpen.

Reaction Score
In the WHUS post game interview, Coach Penders was very pleased with the bullpen work of Devin Over and Max Slade in this game. With Anthony Kay moving to the weekend starting rotation, no doubt Over and Slade will getting a lot more work out of the bullpen, with them becoming the setup men in support of Mahoney and Ruotolo.

Reaction Score
A bit late (really - you can't use the word this word spelled forwards ydrat???)... Damn work getting in the way!

Game Notes

- UConn moves to 27-8 all-time against Central Connecticut.
- Bobby Melley is 13-for-20 (.650) over UConn’s last five games. He has seen his season average rise from .191 to .328 over the stretch.
- Vinny Siena’s eighth inning single extended his reached-base streak to 27 games, dating back to last season. Siena has hit safely in 14 of his 16 games played this year.
- UConn has played extra innings in seven games this year and the Huskies are 3-4 in such contests.
- The UConn bullpen tossed six scoreless innings and has allowed one run in 23.1 innings during UConn’s six-game winning streak, good for a 0.39 ERA.

Up next, UConn opens conference play with its first American Athletic Conference series. The Huskies visit Tampa, Fla. for a three-game set with the Bulls of South Florida. First pitch on Friday is set for 7 p.m., before a 6 p.m. start on Saturday and a 1 p.m. matinee on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom