UConn to buy Nathan Hale Inn | The Boneyard

UConn to buy Nathan Hale Inn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's been half-a-dorm for a while now and you can see the wear and tear building up.

It's a good move for UConn, but they will desperately need a hotel in Storrs sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
It's been half-a-dorm for a while now and you can see the wear and tear building up.

It's a good move for UConn, but they will desperately need a hotel in Storrs sooner rather than later.

I've stayed there three times attending official UConn events. It's OK and somewhat nostalgic form me as I lived in Alumni for 2 1/2 years. That said, I completely agree that Storrs Center needs a hotel, ASAP. Problem is the locals don't like the idea as seen when the idea of building a Fairfield Inn in Storrs center was pulled in part due to town opposition.

I expect a major row between UConn and Mansfield about building the hockey rink at the corner of Rte 195 and South Eagleville Rd.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Generally speaking, I'm on the side of anyone who prevents a Fairfield Inn from being built.

We stay at Hale a couple of weekends per year and in the last year, it's definitely showing the strain of hosting college kids.

They will need a hotel and ideally, it shouldn't be a budget chain like Fairfield.

Reaction Score
I find that on average, a Hampton Inn suits most people pretty well. I've stayed at fairly simple ones that were clean and comfortable and some fairly luxurious ones (downtown Greenville SC one was great)

I hope they choose Hampton Inn or something a notch above it. Anything under that turns me off, especially for pleasure travel when I'm supposed to be enjoying myself.

Reaction Score
If UCONN jammed students into half of the Nathan Hale Hotel, it's no shocker the hotel's been trending downhill. Overcrowded dorms were the motivation, but you also have to wonder whether UCONN had ulterior motivations - especially after the Nathan Hale operators fought off construction of a hotel in Storrs Center.

When a Storrs Center hotel is built, Fishy's absolutely correct regarding the typical budget hotel on par with most Fairfield Inns. If UCONN goes with a Marriott brand, an updated Courtyard-quality hotel is more appropriate than a Fairfield Inn or their typical budget equivalent from other major hotel brands. The target's not 14 students partying, some reasonable food alternatives may matter, potential meeting space matters, etc.

Reaction Score
We've been behind the curve for a long time. A Marriott on campus at Storrs Center would be a game changer for the campus environment. Check out the hotel on Rutgers campus, I stayed there on business last month

http://www.theheldrich.com

Reaction Score
Nathan Hale Inn?

I regret that there is but only one hotel for UConn to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom