UConn Subsidies For Sports Teams, Programs Rank Third In Nation | The Boneyard

UConn Subsidies For Sports Teams, Programs Rank Third In Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut spent $27.2 million last year subsidizing its sports teams and programs – the third highest in the nation among public schools with Division 1 sports teams. Only Rutgers University and James Madison University subsidized athletics more, a review released Monday by the Chronicle of Higher Education found.

USA Today routinely ranks UConn's subsidies among the highest in the nation.

Mike Enright, a spokesman for UConn, cautioned against comparing UConn's spending against the 234 other public universities with Division 1 sports teams.

"Every school does their budget differently. It's not as neat and clean as comparing one school to another," he said.

With an overall athletics budget of $71.5 million last year, UConn had the 40th largest sports budget among public universities with Division 1 teams.

Asked last week by faculty about the expense of sports programs, UConn Provost Mun Choi said budget officials are working to reduce costs.

"How do you increase revenue? Ticket sales help, a winning football team helps. Realignment of the conference and getting a better TV contract helps. We are thinking about the revenue side very, very carefully. At the same time, reducing the cost of travel helps. So this is something we discuss all the time and you will see more progress in that area," said Choi.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-uconn-sports-subsidies-1117-20151116-story.html

Reaction Score
"How do you increase revenue? Ticket sales help, a winning football team helps. Realignment of the conference and getting a better TV contract helps. We are thinking about the revenue side very, very carefully. At the same time, reducing the cost of travel helps. So this is something we discuss all the time and you will see more progress in that area," said Choi.

Oh man this quote is gonna cause this place to lose it's mind.

Reaction Score
Then only way to reduce the cost of travel is to join a new conference who's Choi kidding.

I was thinking more of this part of the quote:

"[...]So this is something we discuss all the time and you will see more progress in that area," [...]

People reading the hell out of those tea leaves.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The accounting thing is real, how do you budget a tuition scholarship? It doesn't cost any more for one more student, but it is recorded as an internal transfer. Same for facilities, operating expenses. Are student activity fees counted as support? That said, they are making less than under the old BE contracts. This should have been expected. When the settlement credits run out, it will get worse.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Even Conspiracy Kitty is gonna be like "come on, really guys?"

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know what you clowns took out of that article, but obviously we're going to start taking Ubers to away games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Even Conspiracy Kitty is gonna be like "come on, really guys?"
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:

Oh I'm not so sure about that...

We've been getting clear signals from carwash workers, but hey what do they know?

Boston College breaks a decade long ban on playing us, but that probably means nothing.

The B1G is apparently in talks to have us join them, perhaps just for hockey, perhaps for more, but that probably is just a coincidence right?

But now UConn Provost Mun Yi Choi (who I have previously indisputably proven is UConnMoney) is quoted saying: "How do you increase revenue? ... Realignment of the conference and getting a better TV contract helps. ... and you will see more progress in that area,"

Really, what more do you people need? I swear sometimes this board is like the remedial conspiracy theory class.

Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:

Oh I'm not so sure about that...

We've been getting clear signals from carwash workers, but hey what do they know?

Boston College breaks a decade long ban on playing us, but that probably means nothing.

The B1G is apparently in talks to have us join them, perhaps just for hockey, perhaps for more, but that probably is just a coincidence right?

But now UConn Provost Mun Yi Choi (who I have previously indisputably proven is UConnMoney) is quoted saying: "How do you increase revenue? ... Realignment of the conference and getting a better TV contract helps. ... and you will see more progress in that area,"

Really, what more do you people need? I swear sometimes this board is like the remedial conspiracy theory class.

I'm with you kitty. Don't worry about me. I think that there is a "grassy knoll" in each and every one of my days.

Reaction Score
The accounting thing is real, how do you budget a tuition scholarship? It doesn't cost any more for one more student, but it is recorded as an internal transfer. Same for facilities, operating expenses. Are student activity fees counted as support? That said, they are making less than under the old BE contracts. This should have been expected. When the settlement credits run out, it will get worse.

It does cost more for scholarships. Faculty and departments are paid and supported according to number of students. Those are very real numbers. Presumably, paying students would take those spots, and also there's room and board, not to mention coaching/training. By accounting differences I think he's talking about licensing and facilities. Some goes into the general budget for some schools, but not for others. Or you can have a recreation fee that goes to the academic side instead of athletics. Or you can pay bonds through athletics rather than academics. I don't think the scholarship thing is much of an issue since it's pretty similar atpublic universities.

Reaction Score
UCONN has a P5 athletic budget straddled in a G5 conference. It's simple economics.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
UCONN has a P5 athletic budget straddled in a G5 conference. It's simple economics.
Absolutely. Give us the TV/bowl revenue from any P5 and we're instantly in the black.

Reaction Score
I don't know about spending all that money on athletics... What did it do for Rutgers?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
"The B1G is apparently in talks to have us join them, perhaps just for hockey, perhaps for more, but that probably is just a coincidence right?"

Link or it isn't true.

Reaction Score

That could be a good thing, couldn't it? Having a P5 athletic budget while conference mates have a G5 budget could lead to top of conference standings.

Reaction Score
That could be a good thing, couldn't it? Having a P5 athletic budget while conference mates have a G5 budget could lead to top of conference standings.

It's a great thing until it becomes unsustainable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"The B1G is apparently in talks to have us join them, perhaps just for hockey, perhaps for more, but that probably is just a coincidence right?"

Link or it isn't true.

You're new. That isn't how we roll here. He's referencing tweets in the non-key tweets thread. You can believe them or not.

I like how he has an issue with that but finds the car wash guy reference totally credible.

Reaction Score
Conference alignment is obviously the biggest issue but they should get more revenue soon with the renovated XL and the new 20 yr lease they're going to sign.

Reaction Score
Conference alignment is obviously the biggest issue but they should get more revenue soon with the renovated XL and the new 20 yr lease they're going to sign.
Nice to see you back Jeremiah...told you this place wasn't so bad! But then again with the XL Center refurb in full forward motion it's no wonder why you came back! Nice to see that at least you now agree that a facility is also needed on campus. FYI the increased revenue from XL Center events isn't going to fill the bank account. People need to fill Rentschler as well.

Reaction Score
Nice to see you back Jeremiah...told you this place wasn't so bad! But then again with the XL Center refurb in full forward motion it's no wonder why you came back! Nice to see that at least you now agree that a facility is also needed on campus. FYI the increased revenue from XL Center events isn't going to fill the bank account. People need to fill Rentschler as well.

FDNY, I think you have people confused, I'm not Jeremiah lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom