UConn Student Football Apathy Needs Prompt Attention | The Boneyard

UConn Student Football Apathy Needs Prompt Attention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
These student complaints are real and significant. No reason they can't be dropped off stadium side at Gate C. Buses can flow that way. There should be tailgate options available. And the cost should be gratis for the bus. I wasn't aware of much of this. These issues need prompt and corrective attention. Winning helps but these impediments must be fixed--now!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Love how he threw the jab in about BC to try and conjure up a " message board rant".

As the kid said it. It's supposed to be entertaining, not a chore. Taking the bus to and from campus, showing up with nothing to do, and then watching a bad football team isn't fun.

It's not rocket science.

A food tent/ designated student tailgate and some more winning would do wonders.

What people on here always fail to comprehend is that a) most people aren't die hard fans b) they don't understand conference alignment c) they don't care and just want to have fun.

Reaction Score
I see the points about paying for buses and no food, but honestly most of this sounds like a bunch of snobby kids that were raised in the fashion of what are you going to do for me right now and not tomorrow

Reaction Score
The Rent was not built for UConn Students to see their UConn Football Team. It was built for alumni and others so they could have an easy drive to east Hartford vs. up Routes 195 or 44 in traffic. Students will never be really engaged at the Rent. Maybe sometimes for Big games but not generally. I know some schools play at Pro Stadiums but name me ONE P5 team that BUILT a stadium for the University Football Team a 30 min bus ride away? Gample II should be built next to the Rent AGH!

Reaction Score
The Rent was not built for UConn Students to see their UConn Football Team. It was built for alumni and others so they could have an easy drive to east Hartford vs. up Routes 195 or 44 in traffic. Students will never be really engaged at the Rent. Maybe sometimes for Big games but not generally.

The problem is the school makes it a chore for them to get to the stadium and when they get there, there's nothing for them to do. I bet a lot of the students would pay extra on their season tickets if bus fair was included and there was something set up in terms of a tailgate for everyone student on the bus. Just have hot dogs, hamburgers chips and soda/water with a few games set up. Like the kid said, they get to the stadium and there's nothing for them to do. Give them a reason to want to get on the bus early to get to the game.

Reaction Score
The problem is the school makes it a chore for them to get to the stadium and when they get there, there's nothing for them to do. I bet a lot of the students would pay extra on their season tickets if bus fair was included and there was something set up in terms of a tailgate for everyone student on the bus. Just have hot dogs, hamburgers chips and soda/water with a few games set up. Like the kid said, they get to the stadium and there's nothing for them to do. Give them a reason to want to get on the bus early to get to the game.
Something to do? If I was a student it would be knocking off a few in my dorm room and then walking over to the game. Not the same going by bus. Also, if the bus arrives at 2:45 for a 3:00 game why do they need something to do? Are they getting there at 2:00? If so, then that could be adjusted.

Reaction Score
The Rent was not built for UConn Students to see their UConn Football Team. It was built for alumni and others so they could have an easy drive to east Hartford vs. up Routes 195 or 44 in traffic. Students will never be really engaged at the Rent. Maybe sometimes for Big games but not generally. I know some schools play at Pro Stadiums but name me ONE P5 team that BUILT a stadium for the University Football Team a 30 min bus ride away? Gample II should be built next to the Rent AGH!
It was built because option 1 and 2 failed.
Love how he threw the jab in about BC to try and conjure up a " message board rant".

As the kid said it. It's supposed to be entertaining, not a chore. Taking the bus to and from campus, showing up with nothing to do, and then watching a bad football team isn't fun.

It's not rocket science.

A food tent/ designated student tailgate and some more winning would do wonders.

What people on here always fail to comprehend is that a) most people aren't die hard fans b) they don't understand conference alignment c) they don't care and just want to have fun.
BC vs USC is cherry picking, what about BC vs Pitt with a generous 30k. They don't have USC every week and we don't get Michigan every week. My understanding was that the student seating allocation had been steadily expanded to include the next three sections wrapping toward the press box? Student purchases down?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
most of this sounds like a bunch of snobby kids.

I disagree. I'd be making the same complaints. It's incredible to me that this has been going on without any corrective action being taken. These are all fixable issues. Winning is on the Coaches and players. Student attendance is on the administration. They need to fix it. No excuses.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Setting up some kind of pre-game entertainment would help. Feed the little twits something.

2) The kid from New Jersey should stay in his dorm room. His biggest problem with going to a football game seems to be the part about going to a football game.

3)DiMauro is still jerking himself off about USC. I've been to Boston College football games over the past couple of seasons - there ain't much happening.

4) The answer is all the woes is winning. All the chatter about getting people, students or otherwise, in the stands is a waste of time unless the team is winning. Nobody wants to part with their money or their time to see what we saw over the past three years - a free hamburger and a soda isn't going to get a kid out of his dorm room on a Saturday morning if he's going to see a 40-10 whomping.

Reaction Score
The buses start leaving as soon they are filled up? How about they don't leave until after the game? Solves the problem of students leaving the stadium early.

Reaction Score
It's the fan's fault for not buying tickets. It's the student's fault for being too apathetic. Got it.

Meanwhile UConn will not even have it's cheerleaders or mascot tonight down at the game to support the team in a nationally televised game. This after 3 straight homes game where BYU, Stony B, and Boise had theirs on our own field.

Funny how UConn itself escapes the blame for the apathy with the poor product and the obvious fact they do not take football seriously. They treat a regular season women's basketball game that will be won by 50 with more importance that one of the football games.

They reap what they sow. Only improvement will come with an improved product. The focus on fans or students is misplaced angst. Perhaps we notice the examples that show us that our athletic dept does not treat each football game with the respect it deserves.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I'd be making the same complaints. It's incredible to me that this has been going on without any corrective action being taken. These are all fixable issues. Winning is on the Coaches and players. Student attendance is on the administration. They need to fix it. No excuses.

I was mainly talking about the girl complaining about walking. Obviously that one kid that brought up a cookout with games and things for the students might be a good place to start to not so much bribe the students to show up on time, but more add incentive to it. I also think they should institute a rewards program (like the Jets are doing). It's not just a winning team that can keep the students there.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
These student complaints are real and significant. No reason they can't be dropped off stadium side at Gate C. Buses can flow that way. There should be tailgate options available. And the cost should be gratis for the bus. I wasn't aware of much of this. These issues need prompt and corrective attention. Winning helps but these impediments must be fixed--now!
I couldn't agree with you more. Students should have preferential treatment.

What is this 20 minute walk BS? When I parked in the red lot or was a part of a tailgate in the RV section, there was a shuttle. What happened to it? There needs to be at least two shuttles running the length of the runway one, picking all people up at designated stops. The walk from off-site parking should not be less than the walk for paying customers. (On a related note. Global Spectrum needs to contract a parking service that does not hire morons and can develop a common sense parking policy. LAZ is not that contractor).

Food and drink tents should also be made available prior to the game. If the Alumni Association has a tailgate, then the future alumni should as well. GET ON IT, SUBOG/USG (or equivalent)!!!!! Beyond that, Students need to get a little more creative if they want to bring food with them. Has it regressed so far that kids actually do get EVERYTHING handed to them? In my year (which wasn't SO long ago), college is where we learned and perfected our smuggling techniques. No matter the brand, 3 of the 5 spirits are clear and look like water, people. Dubra and Popov in college makes you appreciate the Grey Goose when you get your first job.

Finally, I'm not a fan of treating students like prisoners, but buses should start making their way back to campus after the 3rd quarter, not halftime.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The fact that UConn charges people oh live on campus a fee to go see the campus football team play home games off campus is stupid.

There's a difference between people "wanting a handout" and people "wanting to be treated like they are welcomed rather than something the athletic department wishes they didn't have to bother with".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's part of the answer. If your selling a great product but still make it difficult for your customers to get to your store, you need to fix that.

It's easy as f--- for a student or anyone else to get to the Rent.

Only changes I'd make...make the bus free, make some sort of pre-game burger thing available for a couple of bucks and then keep the little savages hostage until the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Or food should be included with the price of the ticket and/or bus ride.

I was said that above. I bet the students would gladly pay extra if the bus and food was included in the price of season tickets.

Reaction Score
The buses start leaving as soon they are filled up? How about they don't leave until after the game? Solves the problem of students leaving the stadium early.

Yes. Brilliant. Let's increase student attendance by keeping those who want to leave early prisoner. That will do it.

Reaction Score
1) Setting up some kind of pre-game entertainment would help. Feed the little twits something.

2) The kid from New Jersey should stay in his dorm room. His biggest problem with going to a football game seems to be the part about going to a football game.

3)DiMauro is still jerking himself off about USC. I've been to Boston College football games over the past couple of seasons - there ain't much happening.

4) The answer is all the woes is winning. All the chatter about getting people, students or otherwise, in the stands is a waste of time unless the team is winning. Nobody wants to part with their money or their time to see what we saw over the past three years - a free hamburger and a soda isn't going to get a kid out of his dorm room on a Saturday morning if he's going to see a 40-10 whomping.

#4 says it all. This was not a problem the last four years of Edsall.

Reaction Score
... make some sort of pre-game burger thing available for a couple of bucks ...
There's got to be a way to do meal swipes/HuskyBucks if they had to charge, they swipe at the gate to be sure people who enter on a student ticket are one still right?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They treat a regular season women's basketball game that will be won by 50 with more importance that one of the football games.

Enough with the WBB digs like this one. Besides being untrue, belittling a huge asset doesn't do the program any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom