UConn stats... Are there enough minutes for everyone to play? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn stats... Are there enough minutes for everyone to play?

Reaction Score
For most non-starters there is never enough minutes...a few coming off the bench get some good minutes, especially like Aubrey, before she was injured. Next year has lots of experience and talent, so if they stay healthy Geno will have lots of fresh players on the floor if he choose to do so.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe, but I think there are two very different ways of looking at where Paige should be used. One is what is her best position, but regardless of if that is the 1 or the 2, I think the more relevant question is where is she most needed.
I agree agree with your point, but originally a poster said why would someone start Paige at the point? One answer is it gets the most shooters on the floor at the same time. Another is that she's the best point guard on the team.

But if we're not talking about that specific question and instead are talking about roster construction, particularly for this year's team her flexibility allows her to fill multiple roles on the team. Last year's team, and in all probability on next year's team, putting her at her best natural position would have left a gap elsewhere.
Personally if you asked me her best positions I would rank them 2,1,3 and then 4.
Oh, I think her best position is point guard by a wide margin. She sees things that other people don't see and this is the perfect person to be setting the offense. She is an amazing passer and can get the ball places others cannot. Plus, the fact that she is a scoring threat means that people have to cover her out to the arc and respect her ability to dribble drive to the basket. Often, she's going to draw double and that creates an open pass. I would suspect that she will probably end up a point guard in the WNBA.

I would rank her natural positions as 1,3,2. Although she would be a very good shooting guard her size and basketball IQ makes her a very effective small forward stretching opponents defense.

She's not a power forward, at all. The fact that she was able to play that position successfully for us just speaks to her versatility.

Reaction Score
So what does the summer look like for the team. I was randomly thinking about this on the train to work today, as I remembered Geno said he can't wait to work with the incoming freshman June 1st

So who will actually be on the court hooping in June. This is a complete guess.

KK
PB
AS
QS
Ice
MC
AZ
SS

Without any inside knowledge I'd think those are definites.

Potentially Back?!
Jana
AP

Definitely out

Aubrey
Azzi

Complete unknown
CD

Reaction Score
to the posters point minutes will sort itself out. It’s not CYO basketball. Competition will determine who plays. the others need to accept their roles or move on. Sorry that’s life.

Reaction Score
UCONN has won 11 championshiops and been to many more Final Fours. Why emulate South Carolina? WHy should UCONN emualte a program that has not been as successful as UCONN?

In addition, UCONN's strength has been been getting superstar guards/wings South CArolina's top player's the past few years has been posts. Posts - big posts - tend to need more rest. Guards don't.
It’s not about emulating SC or anyone else! Whatever Geno ends up doing, and I think given the incredible roster he has available, no one really has any idea what he‘ll do, it will be whatever he sees as the best path to #12! I think most are assuming that he will continue/revert to his perceived default which is to determine the top 7 players and ride them as far as they can go. However, I think this roster is so full of talent and redundancy (except for Jana) and that Geno himself is such a different man/coach than he was four or five years ago, that it would not surprise me in the least to see him actually live up to his oft stated commitment to play as many players as can force their way onto the court!

That, in any case, is what I am hoping for, anyway! I would love to see him play 10-12 players on a regular basis! Will that happen? I don’t know, but if I were on this roster, I’d be working my *** off this summer so I could hopefully “force” him to give me minutes next season! It gives me goosebumps to think about the potential of this team if everyone can simply have a fully healthy year!

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, absolutely. We just don’t know who’s in the OOC yet. I’d assume NC State and Texas. Maybe even USC? The main thing he needs to do is get Jana and Sarah comfortable in the rotation since they’ll be playing a lot most likely.

His pace changer this year was stuck on the bench with an ACL. Aubrey is the ultimate pace changer.
True dat, but I’m hoping we will begin to see Q moving into that role next season and thus giving Geno two game changers to work with!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
With the lineup for 2024-25 pretty much set, are there enough minutes to play all the talent?
Yes. Without a doubt. I hope Geno continues to play freshmen. This year 2 started and the 2 reserves off the bench were freshmen, but that was because there was no one else.

Next year hopefully it will be much different with many more talented bodies. But still, I hope he gives less minutes to the starters and more to the reserves than he usually does.

Reaction Score
So what does the summer look like for the team. I was randomly thinking about this on the train to work today, as I remembered Geno said he can't wait to work with the incoming freshman June 1st

So who will actually be on the court hooping in June. This is a complete guess.

KK
PB
AS
QS
Ice
MC
AZ
SS

Without any inside knowledge I'd think those are definites.

Potentially Back?!
Jana
AP

Definitely out

Aubrey
Azzi

Complete unknown
CD
My guess is all 8 of yours in the first category with a few additions to the "definites". I would add Jana because she was seen practicing with the team in warmups before games, and it's been about a year since her injury by June. Azzi is also a maybe as I believe she must have been cleared for basketball activity if she was at Kelsey's DAWG class, and I think she was participating in warmups at one point? I'm also adding Chen since I think you forgot her, lol.

Aubrey is definite no, she's not fully clear until roughly 4-6 months after the surgery according to the web, so possibly July-August if she got the surgery in early February.

Ducharme should just become a permanent cheerleader. She shouldn't risk her head anymore. One more hit and she could cause some serious brain damage. It's not worth it IMO, as good of a player as she is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom