UConn stats... 10 reasons Ashlynn may start...(again) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn stats... 10 reasons Ashlynn may start...(again)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
To think that Azzi at the start of practice 10 months removed from a second acl surgery will be cleared
For full activity let alone be at the level she was before surgery does not seem realistic (hope I’m wrong) the timing of ja el efy surgery ()June)gives her a realistic chance to contribute at the start
Of the season
Penciling her in as a starter as a freshman coming
Off Achilles surgery seem more like a hope
Than a certainty

On opening night barring any transfers or injuries
Paige kk and Ashlyn will be starters with the other
2 being from ice SS or J el efy
You know I have been reading this thread wonder how long it would take to have someone raise the thought that Azzi just might not be high flying out of the gate. I think Geno will want to game harden those legs in stages and we certainly have the horses to make that realistic.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I stick by my statement. My conclusion is I watched a 14 year old sophomore Girl run a 5000 meter race anr watch her overlap half or the runners on the track and with a new world record won by 3 minutes and she looked like she wasn't out of breath. That's what I call in shape. Ashlynn never looks tired or out on breath, SVET was way before my time on the Yard since I only have been watching since 2013, I finally joined in 2021. My postings are what I believe and I know there are many posters that know Way More than I do.but If I believe in what I post, I will respond. HAVE A GREAT DAY. GO HUSKIES!!!!
I watched that race, lets not get carried away. She set a new record against collegiates, but stepped off the track and fell on the grass. It was a total gas @Next 12 .

Reaction Score
I definitely think Ash has a good chance to retain her starting spot. I think she is kind of a player like Nika Muhl, where she holds the team together and gives them a little something extra when she’s in the game. I only see her offense improving over the off season. It will be pretty competitive next season, but she will definitely be getting good minutes at the very least.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i think BYers who see azzi starting in the fall are delusional.

that's even if her injury issues are finally behind her and if she is 100% healthy, which might be true later next season. this would be great cause she seems to be a super teammate and an outstanding person and she's got tons of fans here. plus, her basketball skills are highly developed.

still, some here are delusional. they see azzi as the azzi who was acclaimed as a high school sophomore, celebrated as a surefire 'generational' player destined to be the next big thing, who would surpass the ultra-exalted player one year in front of her, paige bueckers from minnesota.

but that was several years ago -- 5? 6? or 7?

then she was injured as a high school junior, and it's taken much away from her. ever since, she has been plagued with injuries. a cruel world, horrendous, bad mojo, but she has not been defeated -- or at least she doesn't show it. she's kept after the dream. bravo for her, her determination is to be admired. i'm a fan.

but she has yet to be the incredible player she apparently was before she was hurt in high school. she might have the skills still -- her shooting is regarded by knowledgeable people as tops from distance and in her time in storrs she's demonstrated excellence in the mid-range and finishing drives skillfully. defensively she's not as strong as paige, etc., but she's got good speed and maneuverability.

indeed, she's got the skills to be a superstar ... but she hasn't been one. it's really unfair to expect her to be. it's pressure she can do without; the burden of overblown expectations.

some will point to a short stretch of games near the start of the season a couple of years ago -- just before she was sidelined when liya was pushed and fell into her knew -- when she was hot, hot, hot from trey-land. azzi didn't get the chance to sustain that level of play. maybe she could have. maybe rotten luck intervened. whatever -- she didn't show that it had been simply a run of good games. she had and has since had times when the 3-pointers fell like rain, but her consistency was absent.

she has the skills, but execution in games has been lacking. until she jumps that hurdle, she won't meet expectations of BYers' who picture a long-ago naismith h.s. poy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

that's even if her injury issues are finally behind her and if she is 100% healthy, which might be true later next season. this would be great cause she seems to be a super teammate and an outstanding person and she's got tons of fans here. plus, her basketball skills are highly developed.

still, some here are delusional. they see azzi as the azzi who was acclaimed as a high school sophomore, celebrated as a surefire 'generational' player destined the be the next big thing, who would surpass the uber-exalted player one year in front of her, paige bueckers from minnesota.

but that was several years ago -- 5? 6? or 7?

then she was injured as a high school junior, and it's taken much away from her. ever since, she has been plagued with injuries. a cruel world, horrendous, bad mojo, but she has not been defeated -- or at least she doesn't show it. she's kept after the dream. bravo for her, her determination is to be admired. i'm a fan.

but she has yet to be the incredible player she apparently was before she was hurt in high school. she might have the skills still -- her shooting is regarded by knowledgeable people as tops from distance and in her time in storrs she's demonstrated excellence in the mid-range and finishing drives skillfully. defensively she's not as strong as paige, etc., but she's got good speed and maneuverability.

indeed, she's got the skills to be a superstar ... but she hasn't been one. it's really unfair to expect her to be. it's pressure she can do without; the burden of overblown expectations.

some will point to a short stretch of games near the start of the season a couple of years ago -- just before she was sidelined when liya was pushed and fell into her knew -- when she was hot, hot, hot from trey-land. azzi didn't get the chance to sustain that level of play. maybe she could have. maybe rotten luck intervened. whatever -- she didn't show that had been simply a run of good games. she had and has since had times when the 3-pointers fell like rain, but her consistency was absent.

she has the skills, but execution in games has been lacking. until she jumps that hurdle, she won't meet expectations of BYers' who picture a long-ago naismith h.s. poy.
Agree... and disagree. I don't think starting in the fall is likely, though not impossible. But either way, I'd be surprised if she plays more than 20 mins/g before January. This assumes that she can get back to 100%, which is an open question.

But I don't think your synopsis of her career is quite accurate. She hasn't had a full season in 4 years, i.e. since high school, and that's worth a raised eyebrow. She had a partial but substantial season in her freshman year which included some excellent play in the second half and in the tournament. She was a key part of the machine Paige built on her return that carried the Huskies to the NC game. The following season, after Paige went down, we caught glimpses but they were short-lived, and when she returned her shot did not return right away.

Still, you are right to say that she's only potentially a superstar. But there's no reason to expect that she could not actualize that potential, especially when surrounded by a healthy team. Wouldn't that be something?

Finally, I don't know what you have against delusions. This is the BY. Delusional fans is who we are. it's not like this is a scientific journal we're running here.

Reaction Score

some will point to a short stretch of games near the start of the season a couple of years ago -- just before she was sidelined when liya was pushed and fell into her knew -- when she was hot, hot, hot from trey-land. azzi didn't get the chance to sustain that level of play. maybe she could have. maybe rotten luck intervened. whatever -- she didn't show that it had been simply a run of good games. she had and has since had times when the 3-pointers fell like rain, but her consistency was absent.

I'm with you about Azzi not starting.

But as far as your critique of her-- the bold I don't understand (did you mean to put a period after "that?") but in her frosh year - she was the team's 3rd leading scorer for a team that went to the Finals. And vs UCF a good chance UCONN gets knocked out in rd 2 led by that obnoxious coach.

SO, if she did as well as she did her frosh year, then to start her soph year - it’s a natural that a "sophomore jump" can happen for some players. Further, it seems very reasonable to assume (we're not in a court of law) that with Azzi missing her jr year and COVID sr year was limited play; after she played quite a bit of her frosh year that she'd get a certain jump in performance. I mean that's the reason why players get better year over year- they work on the summer over their weaknesses in which she had full-time to work on her game.

And to add to this-- 4 of the opponents in her soph year-- two Defensive minded coaches in Texas and Duke, one coach NC State and the other Iowa coach in which Azzi at least matched Clark.

We make predictions all the time without knowing 100% such as this year we can say UCONN is going to be a very strong team. DO we know for certain? Nope. But everything tell us it is probably so. With Azzi, what would have made anyone believe that she wouldn't have been great after they saw what she accomplished as a frosh then the way she performed vs quality teams as a soph duirng that 6 game run? That was part fo teh tough schedule and none of them stopped her. So I don't agre with your comment which I undrelined above"maybe" -- instead I would say "almost certainly" if not re-injured.

Reaction Score
I finally got to see an entire Neenah HS game and it revealed a lot about Allie’s skills and experience.

Neenah starts a pretty small lineup. At 6’0” Allie is the biggest kid and even jumps the opening tip-off. I hadn’t realized this. They can bring in another six footer, but they mainly play the small lineup.

Allie has good handles, can rebound and pass, runs the floor well and can go end to end on the break. But most of all, she’s a deadly perimeter shooter.

One thing that strikes me is that she may not have a lot of experience playing against other big guards. This may mean she’ll have to get used to getting her shot off against D1 defenders. I think she’ll figure it out, but there will be a learning curve.

I think she’s not as athletic (in the sense of quickness and strength) as the competition she’ll face in UConn practices. In some respects, her style of play is reminiscent of Caroline. The shooting motion, the way she operates in the lane, her passing. Of course, she gives up 2 inches to Caroline and a good deal of muscle.

My conclusion is that she may not take many minutes from Ash, at least not until later in the season. Ash may give up a couple inches, but she looks to be in much better physical condition

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom