UConn spring preview: The running backs (Fuller) | The Boneyard

UConn spring preview: The running backs (Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Please let it be an offense where Johnson gets 20 carries a game and another couple of touches in the passing game.

He was the first RB since Donald Brown to own yardage between the tackles.

I believe what we saw at the end of last season is about right. Johnson #1, Newsome #2, and then Max/Marriner get the scraps.

Reaction Score
I think it is an excellent perspective by the new OC.

UConn offensive schemes/plays is a dead give away to opposing team DC's. Depending who was in as a wide receiver you pretty much knew it was a run play. And if it was a pass play out of necessity, chances are some of the receivers were "poor decoys" .....really only 1 true receiving option for the QB.

Same with the RB's. Depending who was in the game, no real surprise as to what the play attempt may be.

Now, when UConn defended other teams, it seemed as if they had no clue as to what was going to happen.

I could only pray this new OC can develop players and schemes that give opposing DC;s nightmares. I agree with his premise.........playing only to a athletes limited strengths is a dead give away.

Develop complete players.....not one dimensional players!

I hope I never have to hear a worn out excuse during the season........we had to simplify the schemes........it was too much to handle. Even simple schemes don't work with one dimensional players!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Coaches would be wise to get Newsome in a Darren Sproles/Bryant Westbrook role. One of the few kids that showed an ability to take a short a pass and take it a long way.

Totally agree they need to get him the ball in space. Was going to use Larry Taylor as a reasonable comp.

With this offensive line handing him the ball from scrimmage seems to be wasting his talents a bit.

Reaction Score
Totally agree they need to get him the ball in space. Was going to use Larry Taylor as a reasonable comp.

With this offensive line handing him the ball from scrimmage seems to be wasting his talents a bit.
He is a kid I would give about 15 touches a game. 7-8, rushes from scrimage, 7-8 catches out of the backfield or slot. He did have some nice runs up the middle, but with Johnson and Delorezo, he should probably be used in those types of runs to catch opposing defenses off guard after you make them wary of getting him the ball in space.

A big key for him will be getting stronger for the pouning of FBS. He was strong for a true frosh, but the Tulane game he was ragged dolled into a few fumbles after he was running really well. Somewhat expected from 5'7", true frosh who the previous year was playing against defenses from Crosby and Kennedy High in Wtby. I think he could be an outstanding weapon in this conference, IF used right.

Reaction Score
I'm still a big Josh Marriner fan... Tough break last season for him, with us going thru extended Spring ball for an entire season...

Reaction Score
Johnson needs to be the horse. Newsome needs 10 touches per game, like noeynox said hopefully in the passing game where he gets the ball in space. Max has a role this year pounding the rock when they need that yard or 2 and to give Johnson some rest (please, no Pasqualoni-like non-rotation of RB's). Not sure what Marriner's role will be other than providing some depth this year. Just the way things shook out last year.

Johnson was far and away the best RB last year.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Coaches would be wise to get Newsome in a Darren Sproles/Bryant Westbrook role. One of the few kids that showed an ability to take a short a pass and take it a long way.
He has to stop putting on the ground...
agree though on his utulization if he can hold onto it much better...

Reaction Score
He has to stop putting on the ground...
agree though on his utulization if he can hold onto it much better...
Just wasn't strong enough last year to go from the NVL, to playing FBS football at a fairly high level, and not expect that he would have some trouble with physicality difference. Even with that how many other players showed his ability to make a big play? Foxx, Noel Thomas. Am I missing any? I still have hope for kids like Dhameer Bradley and Briam Lemelle but Arkeel is I think a kid that has shown in actual games that he could make a play on his own. I think Ron Johnson's biggest play was like a 17 yd run, I love the kid, and he may break some long runs, but I didn't see that take it to the house burst where I think he should get 25-30 carries a game and everyone else picks up the scraps. If he proves otherwise, more power to him.

Reaction Score

this post makes you think ... it is too obvious

Do the UConn college coaches watch the NFL? Because I totally agree that this is where the Ansonia flash needs to go.

And for Max & Marriner & Newsome: any coach would have sat each of them for extended bench time for their extraordinarily inopportune fumbles. But ... they all did it. Maybe Johnson - in my view - was somewhat better. But saying that Max deserved more carries and more play? Not really. There just weren't enough non-fumblers.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Just wasn't strong enough last year to go from the NVL, to playing FBS football at a fairly high level, and not expect that he would have some trouble with physicality difference.
then he should have Redshirted if you are correct in that assumption.

This is where us that believe there were some failures attributed to coaching staff have valid points and are NOT gulping the koolaid and other things Bob puts out in front of us...

Reaction Score
this post makes you think ... it is too obvious

Do the UConn college coaches watch the NFL? Because I totally agree that this is where the Ansonia flash needs to go.

And for Max & Marriner & Newsome: any coach would have sat each of them for extended bench time for their extraordinarily inopportune fumbles. But ... they all did it. Maybe Johnson - in my view - was somewhat better. But saying that Max deserved more carries and more play? Not really. There just weren't enough non-fumblers.

I don't think Johnson put it on the ground once all year. Unless I'm forgetting about it. I know that Marriner, Newsome, Max, Boyle, Whitmer, and Foxx all fumbled but don't remember Johnson.

Reaction Score
then he should have Redshirted if you are correct in that assumption.

This is where us that believe there were some failures attributed to coaching staff have valid points and are NOT gulping the koolaid and other things Bob puts out in front of us...
Oh I agree, but that is done and over with. I have to assume that Diaco thought he would benefit more from taking his lumps as a true freshman than from redshirting. Personally I would have preferred that he RS, but maybe Diaco had his reasons.

Reaction Score
I don't remember Johnson fumbling either.

I DO remember Marriner, Newsome, DeLorenzo (I can spell more than Max), Foxx, Whitmer fumbling at some of the worst moments of that season. YUCK.

Reaction Score
I don't think Johnson put it on the ground once all year. Unless I'm forgetting about it. I know that Marriner, Newsome, Max, Boyle, Whitmer, and Foxx all fumbled but don't remember Johnson.
I think you're right. There was even an article from Jim Fuller where Johnson talked about he didn't know why he didn't fumble in games since he had fumbled in practice. RBs are going to fumble and QBs are going to throw INTs, its FB. Every team is trying to create TOs and not the turn the ball over. The problem is always the back breaker turnover. Think Whitmer on the opening drive against Temple or on the goal line against Western Michigan or the USC transfer RB. DJ Shoemate, going into the endzone against Michigan. Those are the type that just sap all momentum from you and turn games around.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
UConn's fumbles seemed to come at the worst times and they rarely recovered their own fumbles. They lost 16 of 19 fumbles. On the flip side, they forced 16 and only recovered 7. I would think this points to an overall lack of awareness or possibly focus, though it is admittedly a small sample size.

Reaction Score
Johnson was a man out there. He was the only back who really looked like he belonged. I've never loved Max. I think he is a role player looking for a role. Love how suddenly everyone who claimed Newsome would step right in and star last year now think he should have redshirted. I see him as a returner/3rd down/ change of pace back. I don't know what to make of Marriner.

Reaction Score
Johnson was a man out there. He was the only back who really looked like he belonged. I've never loved Max. I think he is a role player looking for a role. Love how suddenly everyone who claimed Newsome would step right in and star last year now think he should have redshirted. I see him as a returner/3rd down/ change of pace back. I don't know what to make of Marriner.

Agree on Johnson. Behind a great line Max would put up good numbers, but isn't a featured back IMHO. Newsome I think (other than the fumbling) has a much higher ceiling than Lyle, but needs to hold on to the ball to get enough touches to matter. Marriner? I'm with you. After he hurt his shoulder in that one game maybe he wasn't right? But not sure on him at all.

Reaction Score
Johnson is the best and most complete back of the bunch, and needs to get the majority of the carries. Newsome can get a few series and then take over on third downs and obvious passing situations.

Reaction Score
Step right in and star? I don't know who the hell that is. Max has had his moments. Newsome took two short passes and turned them in to TDs last year and also had some nice longer runs. He has real nice shiftiness to his game that no one else on the roster showed. If you limit someone like that exclusively as a third down, change of pace back you are taking one of your most explosive weapons out of the game plan. Find a role for him. The biggest problem for every UConn RB since the conclusion of McCombs RS freshman year was that the Oline play has been subpar or at the very least consistently inconsistent.

Reaction Score
We have to hope that the physical maturity of this young group of RBs and OL allows for significant improvement. Our inability to run last season was just as much responsible for our poor overall performance as was the passing game.

When Max put it on the ground on the first play from scrimmage to start the season I would have sat him for a long, long time. Upper classman do not do that. He got stuck good, but not that good. Set a terrible tone.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We have four very good running backs, with a variety of skill sets. We should find effective ways to use them all, whether it's up the gut, out to the edge, in the passing game, or in the blocking game. If we are going to have any success at all this year offensively, they are going to be the key to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom