UConn spring preview: Quarterbacks (Fuller) | The Boneyard

UConn spring preview: Quarterbacks (Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've resigned myself to hoping that Shirreffs is at least adequate. Anything less than that may make last year seem decent in hindsight.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Leading with the fastball, I see.

I hope an offseason of reviewing his film, the playbook, and expecting to be the #1 guy provided Tim a bigger than normal boost. Quite frankly, it's the biggest key to the season as I expect the line to improve markedly.

If Tim can hold onto the job for the entire season, it bodes well for the win column. (Note to Bob: rotating QB's is a recipe for disaster. We don't care if Sherriff can rip off 10-12 yds on the read option.)

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's almost impossible to see a scenario where this team ever sees any success with Tim Boyle starting at QB.

Pretty big issue here just in numbers. One injury or a Boyle transfer and they are completely naked.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
QB and Head Coach are our most glaring weakness heading into the season.

I guess I'm with Jimmy here in hoping Team Blind Faith is right and both QB and Head Coach improve. I could be talked into a Diaco improvement but man QB is scary.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's almost impossible to see a scenario where this team ever sees any success with Tim Boyle starting at QB.

Pretty big issue here just in numbers. One injury or a Boyle transfer and they are completely naked.

That's the real question for the coaches. Do they feel comfortable with their QB depth? Hard to believe they do. Boyle seems to get knicked up and the other two are running qbs. I am surprised they haven't added a body.

Reaction Score

He's been handed the job twice and never did much. If Boyle is the guy 0-12 is definitely on the table

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Boyle is not going anywhere, period. I am not sure where some of you get this from, but I know for a fact he is staying at UCONN and loves it here.

Reaction Score
I think we're going to run the ball a lot and I think the QB is going to be expected to run as well (think Lorenzen). Under that scenario it is reasonable to expect that Boyle and Shirreffs can be serviceable. I have to believe this staff is looking for an eligible transfer or JUCO to bolster the depth. There is no way they want to play that frosh.

Reaction Score
Oh, I don't know. I wouldn't be shocked if Davis gets the job with the idea that he will have it for the next 4 years. Take his lumps now in hopes he does what the Temple kid and Memphis kid did after a year or two.

Reaction Score
Oh, I don't know. I wouldn't be shocked if Davis gets the job with the idea that he will have it for the next 4 years. Take his lumps now in hopes he does what the Temple kid and Memphis kid did after a year or two.

This would be appallingly poor judgement imo and not in the best interest of the team or the young man. So yes it's definitely a possibility.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Boyle is not going anywhere, period. I am not sure where some of you get this from, but I know for a fact he is staying at UCONN and loves it here.

I don't get it from anywhere beyond they can't win with him and he's unplayable to date.

Reaction Score
I almost hope that they ask the DBs to take one or two dives in the spring game to give Boyle some confidence. Unfortunately I'm going to be away and miss the spring game but this place is going to be a disaster if nobody plays ok at the QB spot.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to what Sheriffs brings to the table. If he can manage and run like Lorenzen did, then we'll definitely be going to a bowl game this year. If not, then all of really want to see is an improvement in the online and run game. And average somewhere in the mid 20's for points per game

Reaction Score
My thinking is we have two new QB prospects and one known quantity. If Cochran vs. Boyle tells us anything, it is that you never know who might just emerge to be the next good QB. Maybe Shirreffs is that guy. I think we know what we have with Boyle and I don't think anything different will suddenly emerge with him. He cant deal with game speed which leads to inability to read coverage or find second and third receivers, makes bad decisions with happy feet, and gets tight when throwing the ball.

Reaction Score
Boyle looked so tentative last year. I have to believe there was more to his injury than what was revealed. In his freshman year despite the INTs he had a couple of games UCF and Cincy, where he whipped the ball around pretty good. Maybe he was just worried about INTs, but the kid we saw last year can't be the one that wins the job. He needs to be a different player to be in the mix. I kept hoping we picked up a graduate transfer or JUCO if for nothing else numbers, and maybe they can still get a graduate transfer after graduations in May. I really hope they find a way to preserve Davis's redshirt. If were down to him the season is shot anyway.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Is there a potential Tyler Lorenzen or Whitmer out there at the JUCO level?

Chances are nobody as good as Tyler but depth here is a major issue.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Boyle looked so tentative last year. I have to believe there was more to his injury than what was revealed. In his freshman year despite the INTs he had a couple of games UCF and Cincy, where he whipped the ball around pretty good. Maybe he was just worried about INTs, but the kid we saw last year can't be the one that wins the job. He needs to be a different player to be in the mix. I kept hoping we picked up a graduate transfer or JUCO if for nothing else numbers, and maybe they can still get a graduate transfer after graduations in May. I really hope they find a way to preserve Davis's redshirt. If were down to him the season is shot anyway.

If there was more to his injury our staff did him no favors and he should have sat more - I dont buy this FYI.

Reaction Score
If there was more to his injury our staff did him no favors and he should have sat more - I dont buy this FYI.
You're welcomed to disagree, but physically he didn't look like the same kid to me. He looked slower from a footspeed and a decision making standpoint. Looked real tentative to me, the opposite of his too brash approach a year earlier. We will see.

His biggest problem to me, was that I just don't think the team i.e WRs had any faith in him. You could tell from their body language and their reactions to his passes that were off the mark. If he can't overcome that this spring and fall camp, he has no shot to win the job. Has to win his teammates over first.

Reaction Score
Boyle looked like he looked like he didn't belong. Looked that way as a freshman and he took a step back last year. Let's not Roget he had 0 tee and what 10 ints as a frosh. Worst qb rating in the nation for guys who played at least 5 games and it wasn't close. He is just not a 1 a quarterback. We need someone to come in and run the team. If Boyle was not local the idea that he was even in consideration would be laughable. He's from Xavier and there are still people who want him to start. How many chances do you want to give him?

Reaction Score
A real chance! Moderately competent line. Throw more than on third and long. You folks amaze me, did any of you ever play football. Yes, I know Bonehead you played for the Vikings and Freescooter blocked for you. Serrano was on the bench cheering. Give the kid a break. Worst offense line the last two years in UConn history. Blatantly obvious play calling. Waiting on Montana?

Reaction Score
uconn34 said:
A real chance! Moderately competent line. Throw more than on third and long. You folks amaze me, did any of you ever play football. Yes, I know Bonehead you played for the Vikings and Freescooter blocked for you. Serrano was on the bench cheering. Give the kid a break. Worst offense line the last two years in UConn history. Blatantly obvious play calling. Waiting on Montana?

If you want people to be fair. Be fair.

At least admit he was terrible under bad circumstances.

We are all rooting for him. But he has shown us nothing.

If he wins in camp I'm all for him coming out as the opening day starter. But how long is his leash?

Reaction Score
Worst quarterback rating two consecutive years. And by something like 20 points both times. He's a nice kid. But if he was from Xavier High in Middletown Ohio,everyone would be saying "Next man up." That is just the way it is. Line or no line he has 0 wins. He has what 1 td pass and what, 15 interceptions? If he is anywhere near the field in games where UConn isn't ahead by 30 or behind by 30 we might be looking at 2014 as the high point of the Diaco regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom