UConn spring preview: Offensive line (Fuller) | The Boneyard

UConn spring preview: Offensive line (Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I look forward to seeing the Great Dane more this year. But I love that Cummings is describing players as aggressive. We need that back

Reaction Score
Kyle was:

From a notably productive high school - Saint Thomas Acquinas - near Fort Lauderdale.
He showed up at the Florida combine & summer stuff. He was the right size in HS - 6-4 280. And was probably in the right zone in bench press & basic stuff.
Looked decent on film. But it was HS still.

He's a 3 Star by default.

If he went to Saint Joseph's of Trumbull, he'd be a 5.0 on Rivals not 5.6. That's the fact. Offers? Follows as well. If you're ar St. Thomas Aquinas, your coach can get you 6 easy offers. Connecticut kid? Not so easy.

Reaction Score
Kyle was:

From a notably productive high school - Saint Thomas Acquinas - near Fort Lauderdale.
He showed up at the Florida combine & summer stuff. He was the right size in HS - 6-4 280. And was probably in the right zone in bench press & basic stuff.
Looked decent on film. But it was HS still.

He's a 3 Star by default.

If he went to Saint Joseph's of Trumbull, he'd be a 5.0 on Rivals not 5.6. That's the fact. Offers? Follows as well. If you're ar St. Thomas Aquinas, your coach can get you 6 easy offers. Connecticut kid? Not so easy.
St. Thomas Aquinas...the high school I attended. It is a football factory! Of course the coach is going to get the kid six offers...it has real noteriety for football in the state of FL...There is always a couple of games each year being broadcast on ESPNU. I would love for UConn to have a connection to this school...for many reasons! Why would you want to compare St. Joe's of Trumbull to STA? I mean think of the competition within the state of FL.

Reaction Score
St. Thomas Aquinas...the high school I attended. It is a football factory! Of course the coach is going to get the kid six offers...it has real noteriety for football in the state of FL...There is always a couple of games each year being broadcast on ESPNU. I would love for UConn to have a connection to this school...for many reasons! Why would you want to compare St. Joe's of Trumbull to STA? I mean think of the competition within the state of FL.

Exactly the point: Schafenacker got 3 Stars by default. Because be went to a HS with renowned tradition & legacy of lots of successful kids. He's 6-3 280. The Rivals etc scouting services LACK the evaluative tools to tell whether he's truly a 3 Star - high value.

A comparable kid fro St. Joseph's in Trumbull? Starts with a 2 Star rating.

Offers? The Ft Lauderdale kid (with Coaches more in the process) would get 5 times the Offers. EVEN IF YOU ARE TALKING about the same exact kid.

The Star process & offers aren't vaguely the same.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Exactly the point: Schafenacker got 3 Stars by default. Because be went to a HS with renowned tradition & legacy of lots of successful kids. He's 6-3 280. The Rivals etc scouting services LACK the evaluative tools to tell whether he's truly a 3 Star - high value.

Offers? The Ft Lauderdale kid (with Coaches more in the process) would get 5 times the Offers. EVEN IF YOU ARE TALKING about the same exact kid.

So this 3* you have no confidence in and don't believe to be a real prospect but the 3* QB from CT you believe actually LOOKS like a real prospect?

Do I have that right?

Reaction Score
Repeatedly ...

UConn fans (over the last 10 years) has gotten excited by a Florida (or other bigger FB recruiting state) kid who came in with multiple offers & 3/4Star status. Several have not achieved even Average Field production.

Meanwhile, WE complain about a kid like Byron Jones - a CT kid who has always been an athletic freak not having 6 offers or something. This Recruiting talk just is total randomness. There are huge inefficiencies in what our information sources are. A Good UConn HC will be able to find 10-15 solid kids in our territory that have huge evaluative upside; but, few offers & 2Starse. Then, hopefully we pull a handful of FL kids & PA kids & Jersey kids that are wins against other P5 type programs. That's the standard - I think.

Reaction Score
We have two former Raiders on the roster right now, Crozier and Shaffenacker. I was surprised to see we didn't even offer one from STA this past recruiting cycle. They had something like 17 kids sign scholarships to play college ball (at various levels) from their 2015 class alone.

Reaction Score
We have two former Raiders on the roster right now, Crozier and Shaffenacker. I was surprised to see we didn't even offer one from STA this past recruiting cycle. They had something like 17 kids sign scholarships to play college ball (at various levels) from their 2015 class alone.

Love the post, and for the record, I would love to have us make an offer every year to this school. This school attracts some of the biggest coaches/university names in college football. So by connection, I mean, I want STA calling our coach every year with a potential prospect. Sure, we should be calling them...but it would be cool if the phone was ringing both ways. Again just my opinion. And a 3* kid in CT in my view is not the same as a 3* kid in FL. I am not saying that they won't be equally as great but the showcasing of the on field performance will NOT be demonstrated in the same way. Why? The competition!

And no to the following:

Repeatedly ...

UConn fans (over the last 10 years) has gotten excited by a Florida (or other bigger FB recruiting state) kid who came in with multiple offers & 3/4Star status. Several have not achieved even Average Field production.

Meanwhile, WE complain about a kid like Byron Jones - a CT kid who has always been an athletic freak not having 6 offers or something. This Recruiting talk just is total randomness. There are huge inefficiencies in what our information sources are. A Good UConn HC will be able to find 10-15 solid kids in our territory that have huge evaluative upside; but, few offers & 2Starse. Then, hopefully we pull a handful of FL kids & PA kids & Jersey kids that are wins against other P5 type programs. That's the standard - I think.

I do not think the coaching staff/recruiting staff are in the practice of turning a CT kid away to accept a FL kid. How many 2* do we get versus 3* and 4* players. So, maybe I am wrong but something is telling me if we need them both we'll accept them both. If we do not need a position filled it wont matter if he is a 3* - again, if he was a 4* perhaps we make the room.

Reaction Score
Tyler Matakevich and Graham Stewart...........

One did very well with the recruiting sites.

The other is one of the best LBs in the conference and probably country.

Talk about your contrasts.

Reaction Score
Repeatedly ...

Summary? You'll have more success this way getting a QB than trying to Coach up a Connecticut kid. There's a certain pedigree that California kids get through their competitive leagues both in the Diablo Valley & JUCO.

Interesting take Pudge.

3 star QB from CA (no default star rating?) is a better choice than coaching up a CT kid because of the competition. But we shouldn't get excited about a 3 star OL from FL (because of the default star rating?) and instead be excited about the 2 star recruits we get, because 1 out of 25-30 of them will end up in the NFL a la Byron Jones.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Interesting take Pudge.

3 star QB from CA (no default star rating?) is a better choice than coaching up a CT kid because of the competition. But we shouldn't get excited about a 3 star OL from FL (because of the default star rating?) and instead be excited about the 2 star recruits we get, because 1 out of 25-30 of them will end up in the NFL a la Byron Jones.

You beat me to it!

His hypocrisy knows no bounds. He's not really sure what he wants. All he's sure of is that "he's mad as hell and he's not gonna take this anymore!!!"

Reaction Score
You beat me to it!

His hypocrisy knows no bounds. He's not really sure what he wants. All he's sure of is that "he's mad as hell and he's not gonna take this anymore!!!"

Pudge is on a personal jihad against myself and whaler. This is what happens when someone becomes so personally invested in taking shots at people. It's really unbecoming of a mod, since everyone but him has pretty much given up and put this argument to bed. It really needs to stop.

Reaction Score

....ummm NO, the same exact kid playing at St. Joe's in Trumbull may not even be playing at STA because he doesn't make the team... When I was there they had three football teams, The Freshmen Team, the JVA, and the Varsity. In CT, I know of seniors who because they were on the JVA for three years got promoted to the Varsity team. In many cases there is just no room to move kids up just because they are seniors. What this demonstrates to is the level of competition on the team and between teams in that HS division. FL has a plethora of talent so some kids who would not get to play on some of these teams in FL would likely get to play on teams in CT. This is an arbitrary argument for some...but here is a real world fact. A good kid from upstate NY, near Syracuse is going to high school. This kid has talent and grand parents who live in the Ft. Lauderdale FL area. Does the kid stay in upstate NY or does he transfer to STA. If he wants his football stock to rise he moves. This is the reality! ...and in this example - it actually did happen - you can look it up. No kid is moving to Trumbull CT to play for St. Joe's for the sake of increasing their football stock on a national level. Sure they may move so they get a chance to play...but then this is CT, he probably doesn't need to move to make the football team. <-- Just my two cents.

Reaction Score
I can't believe how many of you COMPLETELY missed Pudge's point.

The star rating system is BS and is filled with built in biases. If you play in a certain region and start at a certain school you will automatically be 3 stars...if you get the right offers you might even be bumped to 4. But if the SAME EXACT kid were to play in an unknown region at an unknown school he would be a 2 star player and possibly receive zero stars.

The fact that a kid like Shafenaker isn't starting but a kid like Cole Ormsbee looks like he might be our best player on defense one day is proof of the above theory.

And why only use Byron Jones as an example. We have quite a few guys in the NFL who have done very well for themselves and had long careers. Each and every single one of them were 2 stars or less coming out HS. Beatty, Branch, Brown, Butler, Griffen, Lansanah, McClain, Moore, Reyes, Stephen, Todman, Wreh-Wilson...all of these guys were 2 stars, and guys like Easley and Thomas were no star walkons. By comparison there are only two 3 star players, Orlovsky and Gratz. Oh and only one of them was from the great state of Florida (Butler).

Most of our 3 star players and not a single one of our 4 star players has ever worked out. So maybe taking inflated star rated kids just because they played in Florida is bad idea.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I think you're the one that missed the point. The point is that Pudge, in MULTIPLE threads, has said the following things:

1) California kids are way better than CT kids
2) California kids only get 3-star ratings because they are from California.
3) Even though California kids are way better than CT kids, we need to take more CT kids.
4) Repeat everything above, but switch the word "California" for the word "Florida"

In other words, he doesn't have a point. He wants to fight with those that have said they feel more optimistic about kids with higher star ratings or with more offers from bigger football schools. He wants to fight with those that have shown the correlation between aggregate star ratings and performance on the field of football schools. Bottom line; he just wants to fight. Even with the people who are optimistic about our current and previous recruiting classes (a.k.a., ME!)...

Reaction Score
Personal Jihad? Did someone get their feelings hurt?

I'd personally like to see a balance ratio of gars44 & businesslawyer to whaler11 & Jimmy Serrano. That's right. And hypocrisy? If you can't see the clear distinction between the NEEDS of the UConn Program in March 2015 for QB vrs taking & developing OLine over the last half decade ... Then we don't ever need to engage your simpleminded views.

Yes. We have taken 3 Stars from Florida. And 4 Stars. Those are good wins often. But we've proven we can find NFL pros in fully interesting better stories.

Reaction Score
I think you're the one that missed the point. The point is that Pudge, in MULTIPLE threads, has said the following things:

1) California kids are way better than CT kids
2) California kids only get 3-star ratings because they are from California.
3) Even though California kids are way better than CT kids, we need to take more CT kids.
4) Repeat everything above, but switch the word "California" for the word "Florida"

In other words, he doesn't have a point. He wants to fight with those that have said they feel more optimistic about kids with higher star ratings or with more offers from bigger football schools. He wants to fight with those that have shown the correlation between aggregate star ratings and performance on the field of football schools. Bottom line; he just wants to fight. Even with the people who are optimistic about our current and previous recruiting classes (a.k.a., ME!)...

Ummm ... Nonsense

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I honestly feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. You know the 3 and 4 star kids are overinflated... How? Oh, after the fact?

It's not even debatable that the teams - on average - with higher rated recruits - on average - do better. Just a statement of fact. We would be better served with 5 star recruits than no star or two stars - purely from a talent stand point, never mind the RKG stuff. Tell me why Alabama doesn't ignore 5 star guys to focus on no star guys?

We do not have that luxury, and never have. That's why coaching and RKGs can buck the system, because 3 stars and below are essentially crap shoots. Of course we have more 2 star athletes in the NFL... We've had way more of them than any 3 or 4 star guys! That doesn't mean we shouldn't aspire to get higher rated talent, and conversely, it doesn't mean we are talentless - we just have to work harder.

Reaction Score
Personal Jihad? Did someone get their feelings hurt?

I'd personally like to see a balance ratio of gars44 & businesslawyer to whaler11 & Jimmy Serrano. That's right. And hypocrisy? If you can't see the clear distinction between the NEEDS of the UConn Program in March 2015 for QB vrs taking & developing OLine over the last half decade ... Then we don't ever need to engage your simpleminded views.

Yes. We have taken 3 Stars from Florida. And 4 Stars. Those are good wins often. But we've proven we can find NFL pros in fully interesting better stories.

Can you please address Wing's question he posed to you? When he pointed out your complete contradictions to multiple statements that you have made?

Then we can worry about balance ratios between posters. Bottom line, and I hate to do this, but whaler and I have been right A LOT more than we have been wrong. I would love to be wrong about Diaco. Because if I'm not, I don't want to think about the reality of what's going to happen.

Reaction Score

The star rating system is BS and is filled with built in biases. If you play in a certain region and start at a certain school you will automatically be 3 stars...if you get the right offers you might even be bumped to 4. But if the SAME EXACT kid were to play in an unknown region at an unknown school he would be a 2 star player and possibly receive zero stars.

The fact that a kid like Shafenaker isn't starting but a kid like Cole Ormsbee looks like he might be our best player on defense one day is proof of the above theory.

And why only use Byron Jones as an example. We have quite a few guys in the NFL who have done very well for themselves and had long careers. Each and every single one of them were 2 stars or less coming out HS. Beatty, Branch, Brown, Butler, Griffen, Lansanah, McClain, Moore, Reyes, Stephen, Todman, Wreh-Wilson...all of these guys were 2 stars, and guys like Easley and Thomas were no star walkons. By comparison there are only two 3 star players, Orlovsky and Gratz. Oh and only one of them was from the great state of Florida (Butler).

Most of our 3 star players and not a single one of our 4 star players has ever worked out. So maybe taking inflated star rated kids just because they played in Florida is bad idea.

Nobody is arguing that. This all started because a few posters had the audacity to state a desire to compete with Cincy, Temple, and other peer schools for recruits rather than Monmouth, Stony Brook, CCSU, and others. It's a bizarre and strange view to have, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom