UConn Signs 3 Year Deal With XL Center | The Boneyard

UConn Signs 3 Year Deal With XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I think it's interesting they chose to go with a 3 year deal instead of continuing the single year leases they had been operating under. Gives up flexibility and I would imagine Uconn has most of the power in negotiation since realistically XL Center probably benefits more from Uconn playing there than vice versa

Reaction Score
Can't fault the 3 year deal for hockey as the University has not been able to find a location for the on-campus arena yet and that means its at least 3 years away from opening. Rats.

Assuming that there will be as many home hockey games going forward as there are this year (15), this means 1/2 of these slots are just for hockey. So that means 22 or so XL dates for each basketball program, which works out to 7 to 8 per year. Would prefer maybe 4 a year at the XL for each team, primarily over school breaks; but, it could be worse. As long as the contact allows UConn to continue to have a game or two a year at MSG/Barclays/Prudential, I am OK with this.

Reaction Score
Can't fault the 3 year deal for hockey as the University has not been able to find a location for the on-campus arena yet and that means its at least 3 years away from opening. Rats.

Assuming that there will be as many home hockey games going forward as there are this year (15), this means 1/2 of these slots are just for hockey. So that means 22 or so XL dates for each basketball program, which works out to 7 to 8 per year. Would prefer maybe 4 a year at the XL for each team, primarily over school breaks; but, it could be worse. As long as the contact allows UConn to continue to have a game or two a year at MSG/Barclays/Prudential, I am OK with this.
The XL Center building is fine and building a new one is a waste of money. Agree on MSG and Barclays. Would love to see UConn host a 4 team weekend tournament every year at MSG.

Reaction Score
The XL Center building is fine and building a new one is a waste of money. Agree on MSG and Barclays. Would love to see UConn host a 4 team weekend tournament every year at MSG.

If you are referring to building a new arena on campus, UConn does not have a choice, its part of their agreement to join Hockey East. I believe shovels must be in the ground by 2016.

If you are referring to Hartford, the city decides if it wants to accept and be happy as a minor league hockey town or wants to shoot for the stars and try to get an NHL team back (0% chance while Bettman is NHL president) and then base what should be done with the XL on that strategy. UConn should not be forced into a position where it is seen as the savior of the XL and Hartford in general.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hope UConn at least got a better deal out of them. I feel like it is something like $40-45k per event without a share of concessions and no parking revenue. It seems to me that even with a smaller arena Gampel would be more profitable. Anyone know the actual numbers?

Reaction Score

I'm a huge fan of cramped concourses, tiny restrooms, long lines, and limited conccessions.

Reaction Score
Disappointed there isn't a game in Bridgeport this year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The conventional wisdom on the Yard appears to be that the BB team plays at the XL solely to appease state
politicians. And that playing in that Hartford puts the team at some kind of competitive disadvantage. Both assertions are flat out incorrect. UConn gets as much as they give from the XL arrangement. The program would be severely damaged if they abandoned Hartford. Fans that actually buy season tickets and attend games in both venues know this. And luckily the Athletic Department appears to know this as well.

C

Chief00

The conventional wisdom on the Yard appears to be that the BB team plays at the XL solely to appease state
politicians. And that playing in that Hartford puts the team at some kind of competitive disadvantage. Both assertions are flat out incorrect. UConn gets as much as they give from the XL arrangement. The program would be severely damaged if they abandoned Hartford. Fans that actually buy season tickets and attend games in both venues know this. And luckily the Athletic Department appears to know this as well.

I think your points are generally correct. Actually, I wished they played maybe a 10 XL vs 8 Gampel split. I have had tickets to both for 2 decades and Gampel is a pain to get to during those winter week nights- then and some 9pm games and given the aging of our fan base - XL works better and the crowds for big games can be even better than Gampel.

Reaction Score
Do you realize how much money the state loses based solely on how incorrect that statement is?

Reaction Score
Have you ever been to the XL center? Even with the renovations last season, the place is still a dump. A new building would not be a waste of money. As of right now they are loosing events to Mohegan, MSG and TD Bank. A new building could bring in big concerts, NCAA Tournament and more. But in building a new arena they need to add more restaurants and attractions near the arena that would encourage fans to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom