UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (KLS, Collier, Boykin, Crystal-D, Irwin, AEH, Bent) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (KLS, Collier, Boykin, Crystal-D, Irwin, AEH, Bent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Going to be a long year for Napheesa Collier with a revamped Incarnate Word roster. They began their season today in Arkansas with a buzzer-beating loss after Collier had put IW ahead with two free throws seconds before.

Collier ended up with 19 points (11-13 FT), 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks.
That's now 2 losses in 2+ seasons.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Incarnate Word rebounded Friday behind a certain UConn recruit who had 36 points and 13 rebounds. NC was 14-20 from the field, 7-7 from the line, and added 2 blocks.

She plays again on Saturday.

Crystal Dangerfield lead Blackman with 14 points in a 40-26 win over nationally ranked Oakland.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Based on seeing her in the U17 World Championships in the summer, I think Boykin will have a similar career to players like Wilnett Crockett or Kaili McLaren. Great rebounder, frustratingly inconsistent on her attempts to put back her offensive rebounds for scores, happy with a "glue" role. Not a big scorer.

Napheesa, on the other hand, can easily be Morgan Tuck the Second. I think Geno himself drew that comparison.

It's tempting to say that KLS will continue the tradition of amazing 3-point shooters from Mater Dei, and in that specific dimension, that will be true. But it remains to be seen if she can make the rebounding and defensive contributions of her Mater Dei predecessor, or be as comfortable with physical play. On the other hand, she seems to have more potential than her predecessor to move her body on offense and defense, and the extra height will certainly help her to play in the paint. I would suggest Ann Strother as a parallel in past UConn history (another high school #1).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Incarnate Word got beat by 20 today. With three D-1 players graduating and a 4th transferring, Collier has been left with little in the way of supporting talent.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As part of that 20-pt loss Saturday, Napheesa Collier was in foul trouble most of the game. She only took 3 shots and finished with 6 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 blocks.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Collier was constantly double-teamed yesterday according to a report. I'm afraid that is what she is in for all year. She's so much better than her teammates that you'd be crazy not to double her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
De'Janae Boykin's line Saturday after a tough loss:

20 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks

She was playing with a sprained wrist according to her father.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Based on seeing her in the U17 World Championships in the summer, I think Boykin will have a similar career to players like Wilnett Crockett or Kaili McLaren. Great rebounder, frustratingly inconsistent on her attempts to put back her offensive rebounds for scores, happy with a "glue" role. Not a big scorer.

I think you are underestimating Boykin's potential. Crockett only played when she was really needed and played brilliantly on a few occasions. McLaren was never fit enough to keep up with the rest of the team. Boykin appears to be a very hard worker, who just sublimates her offensive skills to her team needs - on her HS team she is a scorer, on the USA team she was a rebounder and defender and assister.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just a heads-up:

Thursday at 10:00 A.M. [local time]: Mater Dei versus Skyline [Texas]
Thursday at 4:40 P.M. Blackman versus Hamilton [Arizona].

I sure hope we get some courtside views on LouConn and Crystal.

HGN

Reaction Score
Boykin went for 30pts in a win last night against Laurel High School. A local rival.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Oh my God- Dangerfield looks like she could play for is this year. She is absolutely unreal. A Pt Guard - and she looks like Jewel Lloyd when she shoots. Wow!
Thanks for posting those links above !!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting. Napheesa needs to stay out of foul trouble. If she scores only 6 points, IW will struggle. But 36 points in 17 minutes is the other game is very impressive.

Reaction Score
I thought it interesting as well. Sounds like she may be over compensating defensively for the younger players on the team. Like someone posted earlier, this may be a long year.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Napheesa needs to stay out of foul trouble. If she scores only 6 points, IW will struggle. But 36 points in 17 minutes is the other game is very impressive.

MIL: "very impressive" might be one of your classic understatements. I couldn't put up 36 points in 17 minutes with a peach basket full of ping pong balls and a bucket lift. Merry Christmas.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
MIL: "very impressive" might be one of your classic understatements. I couldn't put up 36 points in 17 minutes with a peach basket full of ping pong balls and a bucket lift. Merry Christmas.
Happy Holidays, Doc!

It seems that I'm always understating or overstating. I think that Napheesa is going to be really, really good. Like Maya, but not quite at that level. A likely Wall of Honor player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm hoping to watch DJB's game tonight. Oxon Hill, the opponent, is only 8 miles from my home. They will not be able to compete against Flowers and De'Janae, but I'll see what more I can discern about DJB's game.

Recollections from last year's beat down of Oxon Hill:

It was obvious when the team walked in as to which one was DJB--tall, lanky, fluid, athletic.

Team player, not selfish.

Good rebounder, threw long outlet passes--with either hand.

Good ball rotation on her shot, though I couldn't tell if she was a good shooter or not.

Reasonable effort for a game that was about 65-25 or so.

I hope to see her against better competition, but tonight will not be the night.

Flowers lost to National Cathedral by a few about a week ago. Cathedral is undefeated and features Marta Sniezek, a Stanford commit averaging 31 ppg. Sniezek is also an AA soccer player. Last year, Flowers lost only twice, both to undefeated powerhouse Eleanor Roosevelt. ER's games in the last week have had scores of 70-12 and 69-12. Guard Kaila Charles is very good for ER. She's only a junior.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@klhoops: Final 67-34 Mater Dei over Skyline @33katielou ends up with 41, including 10 3's, impressive start for @KevinKkiernan team @BlueStarMedia1

Amazing start for KLS. Great to see her playing well against top competition.

Reaction Score
@klhoops: Final 67-34 Mater Dei over Skyline @33katielou ends up with 41, including 10 3's, impressive start for @KevinKkiernan team @BlueStarMedia1

Ahrightt!! Now if Blackman wins tonight, KLS and Danger will have back-to-back games in the same venue Friday

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

When the great Maya Moore left, she was irreplaceable. Geno said it would take 6 players to replace her. But of all the kids in the 2011 class, the one who would most mitigate the loss of Maya was Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis. Now that K is in her last season at UConn, she'll be gone soon. And she'll leave as one of the greatest shooters ever, a top 2 or 3 UConn career scorer, a likely 2x All-American, a possible 3x NCAA champion, and a possible NCAA career record holder for 3-pointers made. Who best to fill the void left by K? How about another Mater Dei sharpshooter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom