UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes - as you point out he hit the trifecta once in the last 15 years, though you could really say the Tuck, Stewart, Jefferson class is even better since you have one guard and two players able to play 3,4, and 5. And the current class if you stretch Lou to 'guard' which some have (including USA basketball in their listing.) And 2010 started as five ended at two but did have a nice cross section Dolson as C, Hartley as PG, Engeln as SG, and two forwards in Walker and Johnson - ended as two, but a pretty nice two!
Understated, but very accurate. Got to be a "pretty nice" duo that got both of them on the Husky wall. What I really like about WCBB is the fact that overwhelmingly I get to watch and root for these special people for 4 years, no discipline issues, no academic problems, you just have to stay out of Geno's dog house!

Reaction Score
Who was the player that got suspended for not putting forth enough effort, and shortly thereafter transferred? Was that Robinson?

You're probably thinking of 6'5" post Kristin Phillips who transferred to Richmond. She was
plagued by injuries and never really contributed to that program either.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You're probably thinking of 6'5" post Kristin Phillips who transferred to Richmond. She was
plagued by injuries and never really contributed to that program either.
Yeah, that sounds right. Thanks!

Reaction Score
I haven't seen this clip of Kyla Irwin posted on the BY before. Although I'm not sure of the level of competition, Kyla is fun to watch; she's aggressive and physical with a solid all-around game. While she doesn't appear super athletic, she does look to be very strong in her fundamentals. She's comfortable using her left and right hand around the basket (reminds me of Stef with those baby hooks in the paint), has a good handle for a big kid, goes strong to the basket, has excellent range on her outside shot, rebounds and plays aggressive defense (unafraid to take the charge) and she's a very good passer. With another year of HS and being the hard worker she is said to be, she will get much better before arriving at Storrs.

Kyla's unranked by the ratings services, and it's probably been a long long time that a kid NOT in the national top 100 has gotten lots of playing time at UConn (please correct me if I'm wrong on that), but I think she's gonna fit in absolute great as a versatile role player who can contribute in so many ways off the bench. Kyla's definitely a winner and a keeper.

Thanks for this extended look at Kyla. My initial impression is that Geno wanted her as a character type player: someone bright, steady, solid. In this video, I'm sorta reminded of Morgan: big body, active, patient, ok with the ball. Let's hope.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this extended look at Kyla. My initial impression is that Geno wanted her as a character type player: someone bright, steady, solid. In this video, I'm sorta reminded of Morgan: big body, active, patient, ok with the ball. Let's hope.
Geno has commits from two 2016 coach's daughters. I think BBIQ and work ethic are big parts of the UCONN "total package"

Reaction Score
I just read about Kyla and her mom and it turns out her mom used to babysit me. So funny. They lived in Stony Creek, Branford. They still have a house (I guess for the summer) with a huge outdoor ball court. I always wondered why the court was so big given her Mom's older than me....ha now I know. Very cool.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I just read about Kyla and her mom and it turns out her mom used to babysit me. So funny. They lived in Stony Creek, Branford. They still have a house (I guess for the summer) with a huge outdoor ball court. I always wondered why the court was so big given her Mom's older than me....ha now I know. Very cool.
a2c3199208_true_story.jpg

Reaction Score
Sherwood transferred to Vanderbilt. Geno uses a lot of space in his book to describe the difficult relationship with Liz's dad and her refusal to get in shape.

Wright was genuinely homesick so Geno gave her a waiver so that when she went to St. John's she could play right away. She played well for Kim Barnes-Arico, who thanked Geno later by spanking UConn in Gampel. (Helped get her HC psn at Michigan.)

Robinson disappeared at some D2 school.
The Sherwood case is interesting. She went to the same high school as Ann Strother in Colorado (Castle Rock) and she had size and I thought she might develop into a contributor, but then she was gone and eventually Geno's comments surfaced and I never noticed her again.

But more interestingly to me is the fact that her name was removed from the UCONN archives (if you look at the rosters from her years here you don't find her name).

Other transfers show up but her name is gone. I guess she made Geno pretty angry.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Sherwood case is interesting. She went to the same high school as Ann Strother in Colorado (Castle Rock) and she had size and I thought she might develop into a contributor, but then she was gone and eventually Geno's comments surfaced and I never noticed her again.

But more interestingly to me is the fact that her name was removed from the UCONN archives (if you look at the rosters from her years here you don't find her name).

Other transfers show up but her name is gone. I guess she made Geno pretty angry.
Sherwood is in the Media Guide.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Liz and her dad also appear at length in Geno's book. His criticisms of both are scathing.

Like most other transfers she went on a less than illustrious career elsewhere.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

And she transferred to Vanderbilt where she had a pretty decent career in perhaps a less demanding/pressurized environment. She played 18 mpg, average 10.6 ppg at 64% shooting and won two 6th player awards from the SEC coaches.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the video!
Can't wait for Crystal Dangerfield! She'll get some RESPECT! She'll continue where MoJeff leaves off!

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Congrats on her signing.

It should be fun watching her compete, in the coming years, against her long time teammate, Jazz Bond, who signed with USF today.

Found this pic of them together from today and thought that some here might enjoy it, as I did. (The time to edit my post and add it there had already expired).

Jazz Bond Retweeted
Tom Kreager ‏@Kreager 9h9 hours ago
Ballers behind me.

CTiqd7iWEAE4Y6O.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads