UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I posted this Dangerfield clip several months back, but it's so darn exciting it's worth repeating.

Who wouldn't want to build their offense thru a talent like that? I see national championshipS in that young ladie's future. She is a pistol !

Reaction Score
I posted this Dangerfield clip several months back, but it's so darn exciting it's worth repeating.

Thanks Huskies. The video from 2 1/2 years ago was impressive enough to envision Danger starting next year. After viewing several more recent videos and seeing the stats and comments from the U19 tournament (with Wilson and other college players--plus Collier, etc) Danger is absolutely a clone of MoJeff. Danger is doing things now that Mo did last year (which was a big improvement year for Mo.)
Don't want to get too crazy, but Danger will have more PG skills and experience than any other UConn huskie next year. Nurse is a super 2-guard who can play point. Chong is a combo 1-2 guard, but will have to improve TREMENDOUSLY to keep Danger from starting as a freshman. If Chong gets more confidence, vision, decision making, leadership, change of direction, swagger, and passing savvy--then the battle for next year's PG will be fun to watch. Not sure Chong has the emotional make-up or mental toughness to lead the team consistently. I like Chong a lot. She is almost as quick as MO, has a good 3 pt. shot when confident, has the speed and some recognition to drive to the hoop in a small opening. IMHO her passing is suspect, her leadership is still in early development, and her confidence can be eroded too quickly. Final word - - Chong is one of the best back-up combo guards in the nation. She can fill in when necessary and score big-time on occasion. Of the top 10 teams in the nation--Which of those teams has a back-up guard better than Chong? None come to mind at the moment.
Chong is a perfect sub and role player when Geno sees the situation. If she improves enough this year and continues to develop enough to start next year, then UConn will have a PG that could lead to another run for a NC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks Huskies. The video from 2 1/2 years ago was impressive enough to envision Danger starting next year. After viewing several more recent videos and seeing the stats and comments from the U19 tournament (with Wilson and other college players--plus Collier, etc) Danger is absolutely a clone of MoJeff. Danger is doing things now that Mo did last year (which was a big improvement year for Mo.)
Don't want to get too crazy, but Danger will have more PG skills and experience than any other UConn huskie next year. Nurse is a super 2-guard who can play point. Chong is a combo 1-2 guard, but will have to improve TREMENDOUSLY to keep Danger from starting as a freshman. If Chong gets more confidence, vision, decision making, leadership, change of direction, swagger, and passing savvy--then the battle for next year's PG will be fun to watch. Not sure Chong has the emotional make-up or mental toughness to lead the team consistently. I like Chong a lot. She is almost as quick as MO, has a good 3 pt. shot when confident, has the speed and some recognition to drive to the hoop in a small opening. IMHO her passing is suspect, her leadership is still in early development, and her confidence can be eroded too quickly. Final word - - Chong is one of the best back-up combo guards in the nation. She can fill in when necessary and score big-time on occasion. Of the top 10 teams in the nation--Which of those teams has a back-up guard better than Chong? None come to mind at the moment.
Chong is a perfect sub and role player when Geno sees the situation. If she improves enough this year and continues to develop enough to start next year, then UConn will have a PG that could lead to another run for a NC.

Agreed, Philly. Given the clip is a bit dated, can you even imagine where Crystal's basketball skills, physical maturation, and understanding of the game will be by the time she arrives on campus?? Gotta go wipe the spittle. Holy mackerel!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Coach: I really, really like what you've said here about Chong. My thoughts on her mirror yours almost exactly. It's been disappointing to me during my time reading this board how relatively little "love" she gets from posters here, and I wonder why that is. I also feel (along with others) that she was unfairly singled out for inadequacies in that Stanford game last year. You've used the "top 10" route for illustration. I like to think of it as: She'd be starting for all but about 10 (or fewer) teams in America. At any rate, she's a very important cog in this year's machine.

My only slight divergence with you is really just a matter of degree. I don't think she needs to improve all that much to be an effective starter at PG. I'll employ a different imprecise word and say she needs to improve moderately. But I'm glad you said all these things.

Reaction Score
Coach: I really, really like what you've said here about Chong. My thoughts on her mirror yours almost exactly. It's been disappointing to me during my time reading this board how relatively little "love" she gets from posters here, and I wonder why that is. I also feel (along with others) that she was unfairly singled out for inadequacies in that Stanford game last year. You've used the "top 10" route for illustration. I like to think of it as: She'd be starting for all but about 10 (or fewer) teams in America. At any rate, she's a very important cog in this year's machine.

My only slight divergence with you is really just a matter of degree. I don't think she needs to improve all that much to be an effective starter at PG. I'll employ a different imprecise word and say she needs to improve moderately. But I'm glad you said all these things.

Coming from the Popular Imposter, I appreciate the positive feedback. After pondering, reflection, and further analysis I have to concede to your point of "moderately" improving (on the whole). If I had time (I am watching tennis) I would break down the dozen skills of the PG and we could see that some need a little improvement, some moderate and maybe a couple "tremendously."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I would go so far as saying an improvement 'confidence and swagger' is the single area that would turn serviceable into significant for Chong. All other 'deficiencies' she exhibits flowing from this one issue.

Reaction Score
The video of Dangerfield is very impressive. But it's not enough to convince me she will start. There's a huge jump in the level of competition from HS to college. Jefferson had to adjust and so will Dangerfield.

I have watched videos of Chong and also watched unedited complete games from HS where she looked like she was ready for the pros. She had a bad defensive performance in the second game of her sophomore year, on one of the toughest courts for a visitor to play. I don't think Geno demoted her for that. I think that Nurse simply outplayed her and earned the starting position. My suspicion is that the UConn staff was reluctant to start a freshman on the road in her first 2 college games, but that the way she performed off the bench at Stanford told them she was ready to handle it.

Like someone said above, UConn is very fortunate to have a guard on the bench that is very fast, plays with both hands, can play the point and score both inside and outside.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The video of Dangerfield is very impressive. But it's not enough to convince me she will start. There's a huge jump in the level of competition from HS to college. Jefferson had to adjust and so will Dangerfield.

I have watched videos of Chong and also watched unedited complete games from HS where she looked like she was ready for the pros. She had a bad defensive performance in the second game of her sophomore year, on one of the toughest courts for a visitor to play. I don't think Geno demoted her for that. I think that Nurse simply outplayed her and earned the starting position. My suspicion is that the UConn staff was reluctant to start a freshman on the road in her first 2 college games, but that the way she performed off the bench at Stanford told them she was ready to handle it.

Like someone said above, UConn is very fortunate to have a guard on the bench that is very fast, plays with both hands, can play the point and score both inside and outside.
Though Saniya played poorly on defense at Stanford, so did most of the rest of the team. She was one of the few bright spots on offense. I think a key for her this year will be her confidence. She can be a very valuable reserve.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen this clip of Kyla Irwin posted on the BY before. Although I'm not sure of the level of competition, Kyla is fun to watch; she's aggressive and physical with a solid all-around game. While she doesn't appear super athletic, she does look to be very strong in her fundamentals. She's comfortable using her left and right hand around the basket (reminds me of Stef with those baby hooks in the paint), has a good handle for a big kid, goes strong to the basket, has excellent range on her outside shot, rebounds and plays aggressive defense (unafraid to take the charge) and she's a very good passer. With another year of HS and being the hard worker she is said to be, she will get much better before arriving at Storrs.

Kyla's unranked by the ratings services, and it's probably been a long long time that a kid NOT in the national top 100 has gotten lots of playing time at UConn (please correct me if I'm wrong on that), but I think she's gonna fit in absolute great as a versatile role player who can contribute in so many ways off the bench. Kyla's definitely a winner and a keeper.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I've mentioned before that I don't put much stock into highlight films, especially made baskets. It's the the other things that can't be isolated just for a highlight film that say a lot more about the player. The films of both Dangerfield and Irwin show a lot of very good skills. Dangerfield's clips remind me of what was great about MoJeff's tapes. She is an ankle breaker. She has a very quick release and good form. Irwin has very good footwork, good court vision, has very good range and shooting form, and uses her physical strength well. Obviously the level of high school competition varies widely, but I wouldn't assign Irwin an end spot on the bench yet, certainly not as her career develops.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Irwin makes that behind the back pass with both hands! Gives a new meaning to back door. Sorta reminds me of some of Sveta's moves. The next couple of years are going to be full of all sorts of great stuff for fans to chew on! :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
HR, CZ, and RMB2 - agree. She does remind me of Stef in shorter body - her body type does not immediately scream 'world class athlete', but the balance, footwork, and coordination when you watch is surprising because of that. She definitely has skills and drive - and could very well surprise us all in a similar way to Stef's transformation at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Andi in her own words...

Andi_1.png
"Hi y’all ! My name is Andra Espinoza-Hunter, but go by Andi and I’m 15 years old. I just began my first day of junior year yesterday. I attend Blair Academy, which is a smaller private boarding school in Blairstown, New Jersey. Yes that means I live at school, and sorry it’s nothing like Zoey 101, but it’s still amazing ! I’ve been attending Blair since my freshman year and I’ve been fortunate enough to win two Prep A state titles, I’ve also won a New York Class A State Championship in 8th grade, so all together I have three state championships. You guys are probably thinking wow you played varsity in 8th grade, yep I played varsity in 7th and 8th grade. I also play AAU with the Philadelphia Belles u17 Nike EYBL. I’m not sure if you guys know this, but I’ve verballed to play basketball at the University of Connecticut, and I can’t wait to become a part of the husky family!..."

[MORE]

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Andi in her own words...

"Hi y’all ! My name is Andra Espinoza-Hunter, but go by Andi and I’m 15 years old. I just began my first day of junior year yesterday. I attend Blair Academy, which is a smaller private boarding school in Blairstown, New Jersey. Yes that means I live at school, and sorry it’s nothing like Zoey 101, but it’s still amazing ! I’ve been attending Blair since my freshman year and I’ve been fortunate enough to win two Prep A state titles, I’ve also won a New York Class A State Championship in 8th grade, so all together I have three state championships. You guys are probably thinking wow you played varsity in 8th grade, yep I played varsity in 7th and 8th grade. I also play AAU with the Philadelphia Belles u17 Nike EYBL. I’m not sure if you guys know this, but I’ve verballed to play basketball at the University of Connecticut, and I can’t wait to become a part of the husky family!..."

[MORE]
Andi is a Morgan Tuck protege--going for FIVE championships. :)

Reaction Score
Andi in her own words...

"Hi y’all ! My name is Andra Espinoza-Hunter, but go by Andi and I’m 15 years old. I just began my first day of junior year yesterday. I attend Blair Academy, which is a smaller private boarding school in Blairstown, New Jersey. Yes that means I live at school, and sorry it’s nothing like Zoey 101, but it’s still amazing ! I’ve been attending Blair since my freshman year and I've been fortunate enough to win two Prep A state titles, I’ve also won a New York Class A State Championship in 8th grade, so all together I have three state championships. You guys are probably thinking wow you played varsity in 8th grade, yep I played varsity in 7th and 8th grade. I also play AAU with the Philadelphia Belles u17 Nike EYBL. I’m not sure if you guys know this, but I’ve verballed to play basketball at the University of Connecticut, and I can’t wait to become a part of the husky family!..."

[MORE]

The very first thing she mentions when she talks basketball is team championships. Sounds like she'll fit perfectly into that "husky family."

But that Southern 2nd person plural pronoun Y'all...:eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member