UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others) | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (AEH, Gordon, Coombs, Others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
KLS, Collier, and Boykin have all matriculated at Uconn - and their accomplishments through the summer will all have their own threads anyway, so time to start anew following Uconn verbals/commits through their remaining HS accomplishments.

Reaction Score
So we now have strong supporting evidence for why Geno chose Irwin and Bent; why did he sign AEH so soon? Is she that kind of talent? Was she being courted by others as a sophomore? I'm not questioning the move, I'm just wondering.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So we now have strong supporting evidence for why Geno chose Irwin and Bent; why did he sign AEH so soon? Is she that kind of talent? Was she being courted by others as a sophomore? I'm not questioning the move, I'm just wondering.

Geno has decided to stay as long as it is still fun. He knows it will be fun as long as he has really good guards. Yes, she's really good for her stage of development. He will get more bigs, but believes the pool of really good guards "who get it" is very small. And he said, what, a decade or 2 ago: You can never have enough guards ... he's what, 5' 7" - that may color his thinking.:D

Reaction Score
I think it's because he's been following her play since Chong's recruitment and knows what she can bring to the team.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not really UConn related, but Napheesa Collier's teammate the past three years Abbie Hoff has verbally agreed to attend Miami of Ohio. Hoff was IW's second best player last year and should be solid in college.

http://earlaustinjr.com/?p=8246

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Kyla Irwin's team wins title.:)

Mark Lewis of Blue Star was there:

The Central Pa Elite claimed overall bragging rights with only one team coming within single digits of them throughout the event. It’s no coincidence considering they enjoy the services of UConn early verbal Kyla Irwin. The 6-1 forward from State College, Pa. has a versatile skill set we’ve been watching evolve over the years and as she enters her senior season appears at the peak of her game. Physically she appears to have filled out and is handling contact more efficiently when she works in traffic around the rim. She’s a solid presence on the boards and demonstrated the ability to take it herself in transition if her outlet options are limited. Irwin has a reliable touch from the perimeter and creates off the drive effectively. The defensive end might limit her options of moving to the three depending on match up possibilities.

http://bluestarmedia.biz/index.php/blogmain/marksblog/item/1323-2015-usjn-hershey-national-showcase

Also, Alyssa Thomas of Maryland fame sponsors Irwin's team:

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2015/07/connecticut-suns-thomas-generosity.html

Reaction Score
Geno has decided to stay as long as it is still fun. He knows it will be fun as long as he has really good guards. Yes, she's really good for her stage of development. He will get more bigs, but believes the pool of really good guards "who get it" is very small. And he said, what, a decade or 2 ago: You can never have enough guards ... he's what, 5' 7" - that may color his thinking.:D
Geno WAS a guard on his HS team. Theoretically, the Point Guard is the brains and moltivator of your team. There are lots of guards but Sue Birds, Rene's, Moriah's, Dangerfield, don't come along very often. I've never been able to think of DT as a guard--a wing, sure. Her point guard most often was Maria Conlon--who is hardly ever mentioned when we speak of good Uconn guards

Reaction Score
Kia has really grown this summer!

They both look damn good!
After the win against USA in the Pan Am games--she's just floating higher, as she should. Super extra special game from Kia and Canada.
Now if KLS was with the U19 these apparently close games would be super routs. Hope all is well at home, give our love and prayers to KLS's mom. Nothing more important in this world to a girl than a good mom. I'm a dad , I know, I get to supply the goodies --wife supplies the moral compass.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno WAS a guard on his HS team. Theoretically, the Point Guard is the brains and moltivator of your team. There are lots of guards but Sue Birds, Rene's, Moriah's, Dangerfield, don't come along very often. I've never been able to think of DT as a guard--a wing, sure. Her point guard most often was Maria Conlon--who is hardly ever mentioned when we speak of good Uconn guards
That's because she was short but compensated for it by being slow, IIRC.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
eh em - two National Champion teams.

Ahem.
thumbs_up_bciy.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The following post is really apropos of nothing on this board but in response to comments I've seen on several other boards from people trying to denigrate the play of Crystal Dangerfield. Among other things being peddled is that Dangerfield is turnover prone and some sort of chucker. For those who have watched her play on numerous occasions we know this is pure fantasy, but I wanted to post a few things on her behalf anyway. Just consider this a bit of a scouting report.

First, Dangerfield had 186 assists to 56 turnovers as a high school junior, a 3.3 to 1 assist/TO ratio. She played 33 games averaging 1.7 turnovers per game.

This is the latest evaluation from Dan Olsen after seeing Dangerfield play in May:

Nike Midwest Showdown-May 2015: The impact lead-guard in the 2016 class; explosiveness under control, playmaker, midrange game producer; the complete package with a dose of swagger.

Then there are these comments from people who have seen her up close on numerous occasions:

“She is a great player and has the ability to take over when her team needs her to,” said Alan Bush, head coach of rival Siegel H.S. “She really doesn’t have a weakness. She has incredible range with her shooting and can get it off quick. She can score from anywhere. She has tremendous quickness and is a great passer. She is a complete player, probably the best player I’ve seen in 20 years of coaching.”

“I think she has the potential to be the best point guard in her class in the country,” said Kiel Moore, national women’s basketball recruiting analyst for ProspectsNation.com. “She can do a little bit of everything on the floor. She has great physical ability and basketball IQ, and that’s pretty rare for her age (15). You usually get one or the other.”

And finally, an evaluation from Brandon Clay 2-1/2 years ago:

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks Sluconn - I was surprised to see that line of criticism on other boards, too. The latest example was the U19 competition where her A/TO ratio lead the team at 4.75 - the next closest was around 2.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Nice piece of video.

Ahem.

Props to Icebear for appropriating a descriptive phrase ("a nice piece of. . .") that has heretofore been the exclusive "property" of baseball PBP announcers, who never seem to tire of saying, "nice piece of hitting."

But only baseball and only hitting. I've never heard anything like "nice piece of rebounding," or "nice piece of tackling" or "nice piece of goalkeeping." Only baseball. Only hitting.

While I am at it, the football guys invariably refer to "the ensuing kickoff" after a TD or field goal. Other than that, the word ensuing disappears from sportscaster vocabulary.

Any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline