UConn Recruit: Kahari Beaufort highlights from UConn Open Gym | The Boneyard

UConn Recruit: Kahari Beaufort highlights from UConn Open Gym

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What are his offers? Don't see him coming here unless he wants to walk on.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Don't think his game is good enough to get PT at UConn. But he could be a Donnell Beverly type player.

Reaction Score
I don't see anything in his highlights that make me think Donnell Beverly. He has a nice shooting stroke, good elevation on his jumper and seems to have a nose for the basket. I would be comparing him more to Rash Jones or Denham Brown based on those clips but not DBev. I actually think he may be a sleeper at this level.

Reaction Score
No thank you.......Bigger much bigger fish to fry for this class. Has his issues from what I hear as well. I really hope KO passes on this one. Big time stretch.

Reaction Score
No thank you.......Bigger much bigger fish to fry for this class. Has his issues from what I hear as well. I really hope KO passes on this one. Big time stretch.

I don't know anything about him as a player or a person,but I am pretty sure he's a good D1 talent. That doesn't mean we need him. I'm just saying, he's not DBev.

Reaction Score
I don't see anything in his highlights that make me think Donnell Beverly. He has a nice shooting stroke, good elevation on his jumper and seems to have a nose for the basket. I would be comparing him more to Rash Jones or Denham Brown based on those clips but not DBev. I actually think he may be a sleeper at this level.

If your only basis for evaluating Kahari Beaufort is a highlight tape that mostly consists of a half-speed pickup game at Uconn and Beaufort running up a flight of stairs, then how can you possibly know if he's as good as Denham Brown, Donnell Beverly, or anybody else?

Reaction Score
If your only basis for evaluating Kahari Beaufort is a highlight tape that mostly consists of a half-speed pickup game at Uconn and Beaufort running up a flight of stairs, then how can you possibly know if he's as good as Denham Brown, Donnell Beverly, or anybody else?
Denham Brown wasn't as good as Denham Brown for us. He never scored 100+ points at Uconn.
Beaufort could be outstanding or a bust. You can't tell much from a half speed pickup game.

Reaction Score
I saw him in a game against Windsor in which he scored at least 25 points. He was an aggressive defender and looked skilled with the ball. I was guessing he was 6'3" or so.

If you are taking Beaufort and comparing him to past players, he is more like Brown or Jones. I'm not sure how he would compete at UConn per se, but I have no concern that he is a legit D1 talent at some level. He appears to be much more skilled and athletic than a Beverly type.

It doesn't matter to me what anyone thinks of him nor do I think we need to run and sign him. However, saying a very talented guy who has high major offers and is a top 50 player is on DBev's level isn't fair. To me, his height is the big issue. If he is now a legit 6'4" as listed some places, I like him a lot. If he is really 6'2" as listed other places, then I am not as impressed.

I still struggle to find any similarity to DBev in any clips of him, which was my point. If you hear the name Kahari Beaufort and think Donnell Beverly, you are way off. Just giving the kid a fair shake.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter to me what anyone thinks of him nor do I think we need to run and sign him. However, saying a very talented guy who has high major offers and is a top 50 player is on DBev's level isn't fair.

Where is Beaufort considered a top 50 player?

Reaction Score
He may not be so highly ranked anymore, I'm not sure. He was listed on CBS in the 40's as late as last summer. He was also on the NorthStar list, not that it is prestigious or anything. The guys seems to be pretty well up to speed and its a good source of info:

http://blog.northstarbball.com/

Regardless, its fine if you don't like the kid but he's a good basketball player. Seems a little personal or something.

Reaction Score
It's certainly nothing personal. I just don't think he's good enough. And considering that we probably only need one more guard in 2014, it would be crazy to take Beaufort if we have a legitimate shot at the other guys we're recruiting.

Reaction Score
It's certainly nothing personal. I just don't think he's good enough. And considering that we probably only need one more guard in 2014, it would be crazy to take Beaufort if we have a legitimate shot at the other guys we're recruiting.

I completely agree with you. We should be swinging for the fences for now.

Reaction Score
I saw him in a game against Windsor in which he scored at least 25 points. He was an aggressive defender and looked skilled with the ball. I was guessing he was 6'3" or so.

If you are taking Beaufort and comparing him to past players, he is more like Brown or Jones. I'm not sure how he would compete at UConn per se, but I have no concern that he is a legit D1 talent at some level. He appears to be much more skilled and athletic than a Beverly type.

It doesn't matter to me what anyone thinks of him nor do I think we need to run and sign him. However, saying a very talented guy who has high major offers and is a top 50 player is on DBev's level isn't fair. To me, his height is the big issue. If he is now a legit 6'4" as listed some places, I like him a lot. If he is really 6'2" as listed other places, then I am not as impressed.

I still struggle to find any similarity to DBev in any clips of him, which was my point. If you hear the name Kahari Beaufort and think Donnell Beverly, you are way off. Just giving the kid a fair shake.

Donnell Beverly looked as good, when he was in high school, as this kid looks in high school. And then some. Don't compare a kid getting spot minutes in the Big East to a kid playing in an open gym.

Reaction Score
Donnell Beverly looked as good, when he was in high school, as this kid looks in high school. And then some. Don't compare a kid getting spot minutes in the Big East to a kid playing in an open gym.

I'm not. And no, he didn't.

Reaction Score
This is a pickup game, scrimmage, shoot around video. I would have gotten an NBA contract under these conditions. Hell I used to love the crowd pointing at me during warmups as I seemingly couldn't miss. As stated, I would bet other high schoolers, including Craig Austrie, Donell, etc.. would have similar or better performances in high school pickups.

I guess what I'm saying many of these types of 'practice' videos are useless when determining talent, and drawing any type conclusions (stroke, handle, etc..) are also useless. I'm certainly appreciative of the videos being posted but to me they are to be viewed to put a face behind the name as will as a physical portrait of the recruit.

Reaction Score
Donnell Beverly never was on the same level as Beaufort. Beaufort will be a D1 starter at some point. Beverly was at best an adequate role player, and that may be a stretch.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Looks like a hard-working, talented player who loves UConn.
He has good size for a college guard, he's athletic, has a good handle and seems to have a good release on his shot. Undoubtably, other guard recruits are rated more highly by the national services but I see no reason to denigrate the kid and I trust KO to make the final recruiting decisions that will be optimum for UConn.

Reaction Score
I've heard small nuggets of info from a former Kahari coach that speak against his character and work ethic. Now that was a few years ago. But Just because he posts some video of him in 1 workout doesn't mean he is hard working. Now I don't pretend to know this kid but from the film I have seen, I'd say there are close to 30 different guards I would rather take then him just based on skill. You can add another 10 to 20 IF you have to balance the talent with the character (IF problems still loom). JMO.

To the Beverly comments, I believe there skills sets are vastly different but at a high level D1 program I don't see Kahari getting many more minutes than Bev. If he goes mid-major maybe some decent time.

Reaction Score
He is in the process of maturing mentally and acclimating himself to a workout regimen that tries to instill discipline and work ethic. Ollie likes the kid and understands his "issues" as they relate to his off the court life. I think his ceiling is a potential four (4) year roll player at UConn with his last tw0 (2) years bearing that fruit.

I have seen him play several times at East Hartford.

JMHO...

Reaction Score
I admit I can only speculate from online sources, but I would rather we focus our recruiting on other potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom