UConn predictions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The B1G and the ACC currently share, somewhat, the Northeast. And those two conferences currently happen to be 4/5 on the P5 scale. Coincidence?

On what scale is the B1G #4 or#5?

They make more money than any other conference, they have some of the most iconic athletic programs in history as members, they have the model conference network that others are trying to emulate and they are viewed as the best academic conference as a whole.

Do I believe that UConn would be a good add to the B1G? Yes, but stop with the drivel that the B1G NEEDS UConn to be successful. We would be the luckiest bastards on the earth at this point if they decided to invite us

Reaction Score
On what scale is the B1G #4 or#5?

They make more money than any other conference, they have some of the most iconic athletic programs in history as members, they have the model conference network that others are trying to emulate and they are viewed as the best academic conference as a whole.

Do I believe that UConn would be a good add to the B1G? Yes, but stop with the drivel that the B1G NEEDS UConn to be successful. We would be the luckiest bastards on the earth at this point if they decided to invite us
sorry for the fuzzy post. I agree the B1G is premiere. I meant that currently, the football quality is 4 or 5. But again, that is arguable and based on what happened with upsets this week, lots of parity in the P5.

Reaction Score
No idea. I was optimistic after last April we'd find a new home. But our football program is SO SO spectacularly awful right now that I don't even care anymore. They are so awful you could argue we belong in the AAC until we prove we take the sport seriously. There is little evidence UConn takes football as serious as say a women's basketball regular season game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What does "owning" the northeast even mean? B1G got the rate it wanted in NYC DMA. Period.

The ACC has more than enough teams that draw in the city.

People keep talking up this mythical owning the northeast, but there are no dollars and cents to that claim or if there was money to be made, it would've been done.
Obviously it is mythical because none of the P5 have UConn as a member. Now if one of them did, well then let the owning begin.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The one thing we can't predict is if some other unforeseen domino were to fall. Movement in general is good for us (save for Cinci and UCF joining the Big 12)... But as of now, everything seems completely stalled, which is why I can't see any other outcome besides AAC.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
5 years, AAC
10 years, B1G

Play the long game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you were making odds, the AAC would have to be the overwhelming favorite on both a five and ten year timeline.

Personally, I don't see where the outside impetus is coming from to trigger more expansion in this television cycle. All of the conferences seem content to stay where they are and none of them, save the Big Ten, can wring another dollar out of their television benefactors. Given the grant of rights locking down every single program that might be paired with us, the Big Ten is not a realistic option.

I think we have to survive the next decade.

Reaction Score
Serious questions: Does the current AAC TV contract cover the costs of Ollie's and Geno's contracts? or is the athletic department operationally losing money but staying afloat from the payouts from defections? Would the ACC or B1G would be willing to offer UConn hoops/olympics a better deal than it currently gets from the existing AAC television and tier 3 rights contracts?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Serious questions: Does the current AAC TV contract cover the costs of Ollie's and Geno's contracts? or is the athletic department operationally losing money but staying afloat from the payouts from defections? Would the ACC or B1G would be willing to offer UConn hoops/olympics a better deal than it currently gets from the existing AAC television and tier 3 rights contracts?

1. No
2. There is other revenue than TV but they have to be running in the red.
3. Why would the AAC keep UConn's football program if they moved the basketball programs?

The AAC has UConn's tier 3 game rights so there isn't anything to lose there.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
AAC in 5 years. In 10 years the college sports landscape will be radically different, IMO.

Reaction Score
AAC. We ain't going anywhere.

And the AAC is going to get worse down the line, not better.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I would be happy joining the ACC as a basketball-only school. I just don't want our hoops teams to fall behind cuz of stupid CR bulls**t

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1. No
2. There is other revenue than TV but they have to be running in the red.
3. Why would the AAC keep UConn's football program if they moved the basketball programs?

The AAC has UConn's tier 3 game rights so there isn't anything to lose there.

I didn't think the AAC had tier 3 rights.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Are you a moron by nature or choice? Find me a basketball-only conference that pays more than $5M/yr and we can talk.

Ollie - $3M/yr
Geno - $2+M/yr

That is $5M/yr in expenses just on head coaches salary. Is your plan going to fire assistant coaches, admin staff, team managers, trainers, equipment personnel, travel coordinators, etc? I can't wait to see Ollie having to call every Memphis area Motel 6 because we had to fire everyone else. Not to mention, see ya Hockey East, field hockey, soccer, baseball, track, football, etc!

UCONN needs to find a home that can help fund its expenses. We are able to stay afloat for a while thanks to exit fees. Once those run out, we will need to find a conference that can pay significantly more than $5M/yr if we want to employ coaches like Ollie and Geno. It's either that or we have to stop funding every single other athletic employee other than Ollie and Geno. The only way to pay those guys is to try like hell to get into a P5 conference. Otherwise, let me introduce you to Fred Hill or Jerry Wainright as that is the type of coach we can hire for 500K/yr.

You still don't understand simple math. How does losing more money on football enable us to pay big salaries to Geno and Ollie? Football is a huge financial loser right now and will be as long as we are in this league.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You still don't understand simple math. How does losing more money on football enable us to pay big salaries to Geno and Ollie? Football is a huge financial loser right now and will be as long as we are in this league.

I'm not debating the fact we must be losing money, but where are your numbers.

Reaction Score
D - for a few minutes
A - Continues
B - nah
D - Continues
A - Trying
Cannot complete the stages because there has to be a way out and soon. Basketball could end up suffering because this conference makes no sense from a basketball standpoint. Not enough top level teams and too distant.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
5 years, still in AAC.

10 years, most likely in a AAC/MWC hybrid, small chance of ACC, much smaller (but nonzero) change of B1G or BXII.

Zero chance of dropping football in the forseeable future, barring some global economic catastrophe.

Reaction Score
In 5 years we will all be in the Asylum after finally losing our minds after reading this board daily, hanging on to every tweet from mysterious people in WVA, and grasping at any word that might finally end our conference nightmare. What conference Uconn will be in, it won't matter to us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In 5 years we will all be in the Asylum after finally losing our minds after reading this board daily, hanging on to every tweet from mysterious people in WVA, and grasping at any word that might finally end our conference nightmare. What conference Uconn will be in, it won't matter to us.
Oh it will still matter....and on that asylum thing, there are some posters that I would mind checking the IP address on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ACC in five years...less really. As soon as there is a sniff of any other league looking at UConn, the invitation will be in the mail.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
So you are saying that if UConn is not prepared to lose millions of dollars per year on football, it won't be able to pay Ollie's or Geno's salary? Is there going to be logic in one of your posts at some point?

I am tired of you wanting to drop football. You and others do realize that football runs the ship, not basketball.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am tired of you wanting to drop football. You and others do realize that football runs the ship, not basketball.

I am tired of you ignoring the fact that our football program is a money pit without more revenue and expecting profitable programs to continue to bail out football. In the real world, people don't fund millions of dollars of losses as far as the eye can see just because a few thousand fans like football. Either UConn needs to make more money or there won't be football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom