UCONN Needs You Now... (Not OT) | The Boneyard

UCONN Needs You Now... (Not OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Football post here... and not off topic.

Last night was the UCONN Alumni Association Football Kickoff Dinner with Coach Diaco.

Warde spoke first - he said: (thanks to CTMike for the quote):

"We need you now. Not later, not depending on the opposing team... UConn Football needs everyone now. Buy tickets, fill the stadium, support the team. Because if we want things to happen ("I'm speaking in code but I see nodding heads out there") we need to show support. If you know people that had tickets but gave them up... Encourage them to come back. If you see seats go unused, make sure those folks know when they show back up that they were missed."
Can you decode the bolded line???

When the B1G will be paying out $45 million and UCONN gets $2.5, you can easily imagine all programs suffering. Worse, the so-called Big 5 conferences are talking out loud about splitting away.

UCONN could be left in the cold.

I live in San Diego and can't make this event but every year, I eagerly wait for news from it. I have never seen the folks who went to this dinner come back so fired up. I swear a couple of the fatties on the football board were hitting the NCAA site to see if they had eligibility after Diaco spoke.

Standing room only.

The new strength coach Balis (stolen from the SEC because of Diaco's relationship) and the football board was wondering how the guys bought in.

More from CTMike:

For the folks that were curious about the strength and conditioning improvements... Diaco left no doubt. So many jaw dropping stats that he put out there, I wish I could remember them all. Cochran lost 26lbs and 14 PERCENT body fat. That's insane. More people than I can count gained weight while losing body fat - all muscle. Player after player he rattled off significant improvements... Really impressive. Players have 100% bought in.
Hardcorehusky's favorite quote?

"Culture beats scheme everyday"
Well, you might be thinking, sure, I'll go to the games and support the team, but do they have any players?

Here is Diaco on a his to say about Obi Melinfonwu:

“Obi, in time, will be the best or one of the best safety prospects in the country,” Diaco said. “He has unbelievable skill set — crazy. I’ve been around some great safeties. He’s the most talent safety I’ve ever been on a team with — physically. Just talent.
“(Notre Dame) had a first round draft pick, a pro bowl safety in Harrison Smith. From a talent standpoint, (Melinfonwu) the most talented safety I’ve ever been around.”
Here's Jones and WR Geremy Davis (1000+ yard receiver in 2013) at the conference media day (earlier today)

Coach Diaco says that Byron Jones will be on the best players in the country. I think he will be a first round NFL pick next spring.

How about on offense? For those of you studying every recruiting mix tape that comes along, spend a couple of minutes imaging this guy in UCONN Blue next season. He'll be our starting tailback. His HS 100 meters times would be more than respectible on the UCONN track team, btw

Josh Marriner:

http://youtu.be/926pVkhENrc

Reaction Score
I just joined this site today and as a current student I can't stress enough how important strong attendance for football is. That means strong attendance by ALL UCONN fans, not just UCONN football fans. It means basketball fans, it means a stronger showing in the student section (which I am encouraging), it means hockey and soccer fans. Even if you don't necessary like football, we can all agree that no matter what the sport is (aside from hockey), we want to see UCONN move on to a better conference. This can only be done by a strong showing for football. Not to mention, as someone who wasn't initially a football fan (I enjoyed basketball more too), the atmosphere of the game at the Rent against Michigan last year was enough to hook me for season tickets this year. If you think a full screaming at Gampel or the XL Center is loud, imagine over 40,000 fans in the stands screaming at the top of their lungs at the RENT. It was jaw dropping and unbelievable.

If you are not interested in buying season tickets or attending multiple games, then there is ONE game that needs your support more than any other. It is the game at Yankee Stadium against ARMY on SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 8th in New York. Also, keep in mind that even if you don't want to attend any games, you can buy single game tickets or 3 game mini flex plans and DONATE them to those who have proudly served our country through the UCONN ticket office. That being said, GO huskies!!

Reaction Score
I have been a season ticket holder for football before the jump to D1/FBS when the team still played at Memorial Stadium. I can count on one hand the number of games I have missed since then. I have renewed my tickets every year. This year, it looks like the schedule will not be kind and I will have to miss three, maybe four, home games. Blasted work! But I have friends who will take those tickets off my hands so my two seats do not go without fannies in them.

As bad as last year was - and it was bad - I went to every game, in my seat before kickoff and mostly in my seat as the last seconds ticked off the clock. Before the Diaco hire, I contemplated not renewing this year. But the energy he has brought has renewed my interest. Look, I am a realist. I don't expect to suddenly go 9-3 after last year's dismal record. But I think things are looking up. I am excited to see what this new young coach can do. The players seem to be excited about the future too.

Agree we need to really turn out for football games in order to be an enticing potential invitee to the Big 5 club. If you can't get season tickets, try to make a couple of games. Every ticket sold counts! Whether we like it or not, football drives the conference bus. The more people who turn out to support football, the better the chance UConn gets out of the AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA
Top Bottom