UCONN Needs You Now... (NOT OT) | The Boneyard

UCONN Needs You Now... (NOT OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Football post here...

Tonight was the UCONN Alumni Association Football Kickoff Dinner with Coach Diaco.

Warde spoke first - he said: (thanks to CTMike for the quote):

"We need you now. Not later, not depending on the opposing team... UConn Football needs everyone now. Buy tickets, fill the stadium, support the team. Because if we want things to happen ("I'm speaking in code but I see nodding heads out there") we need to show support. If you know people that had tickets but gave them up... Encourage them to come back. If you see seats go unused, make sure those folks know when they show back up that they were missed."
Can you decode the bolded line???

I live in San Diego and can't make this event but every year, I eagerly wait for news from it. I have never seen the folks who went to this dinner come back so fired up. I swear a couple of the fatties on the football board were hitting the NCAA site to see if they had eligibility after Diaco spoke.

Standing room only.

I mentioned the new strength coach Balis (stolen from the SEC because of Diaco's relationship) and the football board was wondering how the guys bought in.

More from CTMike:

For the folks that were curious about the strength and conditioning improvements... Diaco left no doubt. So many jaw dropping stats that he put out there, I wish I could remember them all. Cochran lost 26lbs and 14 PERCENT body fat. That's insane. More people than I can count gained weight while losing body fat - all muscle. Player after player he rattled off significant improvements... Really impressive. Players have 100% bought in.
Hardcorehusky's favorite quote?

"Culture beats scheme everyday"
Well, you might be thinking, sure, I'll go to the games and support the team, but do they have any players?

Here is Diaco on a his to say about Obi Melinfonwu:

“Obi, in time, will be the best or one of the best safety prospects in the country,” Diaco said. “He has unbelievable skill set — crazy. I’ve been around some great safeties. He’s the most talent safety I’ve ever been on a team with — physically. Just talent.
“(Notre Dame) had a first round draft pick, a pro bowl safety in Harrison Smith. From a talent standpoint, (Melinfonwu) the most talented safety I’ve ever been around.”
Here's Jones and WR Geremy Davis (1000+ yard receiver in 2013) at the conference media day (earlier today)

Coach Diaco says that Byron Jones will be on the best players in the country. I think he will be a first round NFL pick next spring.

How about on offense? For those of you studying every recruiting mix tape that comes along, spend a couple of minutes imaging this guy in UCONN Blue next season. He'll be our starting tailback. His HS 100 meters times would be more than respectible on the UCONN track team, btw

Josh Marriner:

http://youtu.be/926pVkhENrc

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Football post here...

Tonight was the UCONN Alumni Association Football Kickoff Dinner with Coach Diaco.

"We need you now. Not later, not depending on the opposing team... UConn Football needs everyone now. Buy tickets, fill the stadium, support the team. Because if we want things to happen ("I'm speaking in code but I see nodding heads out there") we need to show support. If you know people that had tickets but gave them up... Encourage them to come back. If you see seats go unused, make sure those folks know when they show back up that they were missed."
Obviously he's saying that if we want UConn in a better conference we need to support the football team. He can't come out and blatantly say UConn wants out of the AAC. Although that's pretty blatant.

Reaction Score
I'm a lifelong UConn football fan but I need to see some success on the field. Everyone knew that Diaco would win the press conference when he was brought in.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I'm a lifelong UConn football fan but I need to see some success on the field. Everyone knew that Diaco would win the press conference when he was brought in.

Cool. Remember that when Ollie signs for a $6.5 million contract with the NBA because UCONN can't pay him more than $2.5.

The B1G has a $45million (or so) payout per team. The AAC is like $2million or so.

Do the math.

Reaction Score
Dude, the season tickets cost like $120.

Just buy em, show up and support the g*d dam team. Pretty simple.

I go to almost every home game whenever I'm in CT in the fall. I'm just talking about getting too enthusiastic. There will be growing pains. For as bad as Pasqualoni was, that roster is bad. Point blank.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I go to almost every home game whenever I'm in CT in the fall. I'm just talking about getting too enthusiastic. There will be growing pains. For as bad as Pasqualoni was, that roster is bad. Point blank.

This season is going to be tough. No doubt about it.

My issue is that nobody - especially die hard fans on the Boneyard - can afford to not buy in 100%.

I don't want to have to see Tulsa, Tulane etc. on our schedule every year and literally the only thing I can do about that is to continue to buy season tickets ( however minuscule my group of 8-10 impact may be in the scheme of things).

So I guess your point wasn't really about season tickets or going to the games but felt like I had to get this out there. My guy @Dooley can't bang this drum every time by himself.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Can't wait for the "hoops only" fans to poo poo the football team. As someone who equally supports both teams this is imminently important.

I'm pretty much hoops only, but I hope they kick some major ass. The key to the future of the university lies in their hands. Get er done boys.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is something where we (the UConn fan base) absolutely need to be ahead of the curve (of football success). We b!tch constantly about our current lot in life. If we want better we need to demonstrate that we will support our programs. If too many of us wait until there is some success before putting the effort into attending football games the success will never be sustainable. If too many of us wait until there is a better conference schedule (higher profile home games in October & November) to buy tickets there will be zero chance of ever landing in a better conference.

If you live in Ct, love the school and haven't been to a football game within the past few years please go to a game or two. I'll consider donating a pair of tickets to a few games (send me a PM) if some fans want to check it out but are hesitant to make the investment (JMoney & I have already donated a couple of young alumni seats). All I ask is that the tickets get used (not sold or discarded) and those fans try to recruit a few fans to help increase the fan base.

I live in Stamford so there are few places in the state that would be a further drive to the Rent than mine. Trust me, for six or seven (primarily) Saturdays a year it is worth the investment of time and money to attend these games. The added bonus is that beyond the enjoyment of tailgating and football games there will be an enormous benefit to the school and all of its athletic programs.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Dude, the season tickets cost like $120.

Just buy em, show up and support the g*d dam team. Pretty simple.

Is that IT? I would buy those, but I can't go to most games, so my seat would be empty. And I don't even follow CF.

Reaction Score
How about on offense? For those of you studying every recruiting mix tape that comes along, spend a couple of minutes imaging this guy in UCONN Blue next season. He'll be our starting tailback. His HS 100 meters times would be more than respectible on the UCONN track team, btw​

Josh Marriner:

Looks a lot like a Donald Brown breaking tackles.​

Reaction Score
Can't wait for the "hoops only" fans to poo poo the football team. As someone who equally supports both teams this is imminently important.

For the Hoops fans on this fine board I say the following:

By strongly supporting the Football team with you pocketbook (ie Tickets), you are DIRECTLY also supporting the UCONN HOOPS teams (both mens and womens). Clearly, for UCONN to be invited to the B10 or ACC, we have to show a significant improvement in football (attendance more than anything). We have to show that we are Legit on the football side.By spending money on Football you are DIRECTLY HELPING the HOOPS TEAMS to be successful in the future. There is no mystery or doubt about this. It is a SIMPLE, CLEAR and MOST IMPORTANT FACT! We must have SIGNIFICANT improvement on the FOOTBALL SIDE in every conceivable way: both ATTENDANCE (TICKET SALES) and ON-FIELD SUCCESS.

Now call UCONN and ORDER THOSE FOOTBALL SEASON TICKETS! Diaco has the boys ready.

Reaction Score

That's just wrong, Pasqualoni had a dozen guys who made it to the NFL. TThat's half the squad from in P's first season. He was an awful coach. The team was plenty talented to win.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Is that IT? I would buy those, but I can't go to most games, so my seat would be empty. And I don't even follow CF.

Here's the thing, going to the games shouldn't be an obligation at all. This ultimately is you paying money for something you enjoy.

This being said, the reason we're here today and not in the ACC is that our football presence wasn't overwhelming enough to overcome other obstacles.

UConn basketball will always be #1 for me just because I grew up with it but I love football just as much.

Ultimately if we don't support football, well be stuck in the AAC and as a hoop only guy (as you said you are.. but still root for football) that sucks even worse than from a football fan (as AAC has some decent football programs).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Here's the thing, going to the games shouldn't be an obligation at all. This ultimately is you paying money for something you enjoy.

This being said, the reason we're here today and not in the ACC is that our football presence wasn't overwhelming enough to overcome other obstacles.

UConn basketball will always be #1 for me just because I grew up with it but I love football just as much.

Ultimately if we don't support football, well be stuck in the AAC and as a hoop only guy (as you said you are.. but still root for football) that sucks even worse than from a football fan (as AAC has some decent football programs).

I thought it was presence in the seats that mattered, not so much sales? At least, that's what I was getting from this thread.

For me, it comes down to time management, as much as anything else. I've limited myself to a select few sports after spending too much time following everything. I used to do UCONN, Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox, Soccer, and various other niche sports, but it got too much. Now it's UCONN Men and Women; Patriots; Soccer.

Also, I don't live in CT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we are consistently packing the Rent and traveling 20,000 to neutral site and bowl games we'll be in the B1G very soon.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Football post here...

I live in San Diego and can't make this event but every year, I eagerly wait for news from it. I have never seen the folks who went to this dinner come back so fired up. I swear a couple of the fatties on the football board were hitting the NCAA site to see if they had eligibility after Diaco spoke.

Standing room only.

I mentioned the new strength coach Balis (stolen from the SEC because of Diaco's relationship) and the football board was wondering how the guys bought in.

More from CTMike:

For the folks that were curious about the strength and conditioning improvements... Diaco left no doubt. So many jaw dropping stats that he put out there, I wish I could remember them all. Cochran lost 26lbs and 14 PERCENT body fat. That's insane. More people than I can count gained weight while losing body fat - all muscle. Player after player he rattled off significant improvements... Really impressive. Players have 100% bought in.
Hardcorehusky's favorite quote?

"Culture beats scheme everyday"
Well, you might be thinking, sure, I'll go to the games and support the team, but do they have any players?

Here is Diaco on a his to say about Obi Melinfonwu:

“Obi, in time, will be the best or one of the best safety prospects in the country,” Diaco said. “He has unbelievable skill set — crazy. I’ve been around some great safeties. He’s the most talent safety I’ve ever been on a team with — physically. Just talent.
“(Notre Dame) had a first round draft pick, a pro bowl safety in Harrison Smith. From a talent standpoint, (Melinfonwu) the most talented safety I’ve ever been around.”
Here's Jones and WR Geremy Davis (1000+ yard receiver in 2013) at the conference media day (earlier today)

Coach Diaco says that Byron Jones will be on the best players in the country. I think he will be a first round NFL pick next spring.

How about on offense? For those of you studying every recruiting mix tape that comes along, spend a couple of minutes imaging this guy in UCONN Blue next season. He'll be our starting tailback. His HS 100 meters times would be more than respectible on the UCONN track team, btw

Josh Marriner:

http://youtu.be/926pVkhENrc

Awesome post. If you have the means and live in the area, please consider going to a game or two (more would be great!). MBB, WBB, soccer, baseball, hockey...whatever your initial preferred sport is, it will be stuck in the AAC if our entire fanbase can't rally behind and support football.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is something where we (the UConn fan base) absolutely need to be ahead of the curve (of football success). We b!tch constantly about our current lot in life. If we want better we need to demonstrate that we will support our programs. If too many of us wait until there is some success before putting the effort into attending football games the success will never be sustainable. If too many of us wait until there is a better conference schedule (higher profile home games in October & November) to buy tickets there will be zero chance of ever landing in a better conference.

If you live in Ct, love the school and haven't been to a football game within the past few years please go to a game or two. I'll consider donating a pair of tickets to a few games (send me a PM) if some fans want to check it out but are hesitant to make the investment (JMoney & I have already donated a couple of young alumni seats). All I ask is that the tickets get used (not sold or discarded) and those fans try to recruit a few fans to help increase the fan base.

I live in Stamford so there are few places in the state that would be a further drive to the Rent than mine. Trust me, for six or seven (primarily) Saturdays a year it is worth the investment of time and money to attend these games. The added bonus is that beyond the enjoyment of tailgating and football games there will be an enormous benefit to the school and all of its athletic programs.

About donating tickets: I called the ticket office a few weeks ago (when the Military Appreciation offer was going on) and asked if I could donate mini plans. They said yes. They even said that they would honor the Military Appreciation offer (I called the day after it expired). Four tickets for our Military to enjoy BYU, Boise and UCF (plus the bonus Temple game from the offer).

I bring this up because the ticket office wants to move tickets. They are very accommodating. UCONN knows the only way out of the AAC is through football (sorry hoops only fans). So if you already have tickets and feel like doing something more OR live too far away but want to help UCONN, you can donate tickets. Entirely up to everyone's personal preferences, budgets, and commitment levels of course.

The day is here that we ALL need to rally behind UCONN the SCHOOL and not be program specific. Football is a fall sport with hardly any scheduling conflicts with hoops until late in the season. If MBB and WBB all showed football the same enthusiasm and support as basketball, it would go a LONG way towards showing the world that UCONN belongs where we all know we belong: in a "Power" conference.

Reaction Score
I am a lifer UCONN fan (since '59) and alumni '71. UCONN football needs everyone's support now, ESPECIALLY for the game against Army in Yankee Stadium on Nov 8th. Drawing in NYC is the KEY for us to convince the B1G that UCONN is a plus for them. Go, take the train, make a day of it (game time 3:30) and let's show them we belong in their league.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I thought it was presence in the seats that mattered, not so much sales? At least, that's what I was getting from this thread.

For me, it comes down to time management, as much as anything else. I've limited myself to a select few sports after spending too much time following everything. I used to do UCONN, Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox, Soccer, and various other niche sports, but it got too much. Now it's UCONN Men and Women; Patriots; Soccer.

Also, I don't live in CT.

I definitely respect what your saying, so I hope you don't feel like I'm coming at you like a jerk.

Basically, were stuck here because our fan base as a whole can't commit or has other obligations.

Not saying that's wrong at all - just stating that it's the overwhelming reason we're in the AAC.

Everyone has stuff to do that's valid and hell probably more important than UConn football, but if we don't show up now, we may just be stuck here forever.

It's a trek for me coming from Brooklyn without a car but I enjoy it most of all and realize if I'm not in, then I have no right to complain about our situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom