UConn Men Welcome Four Newcomers | The Boneyard

UConn Men Welcome Four Newcomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn press release introducing Calhoun, Nolan, Evans, and Tolksdorf.

The players' numbers have also been announced: Calhoun 21, Nolan 3, Evans 12, and Tolksdorf 22

We may not be eligible for the postseason next year, but I'm looking forward to a "fresh start" and a team full of scrappy, likable players.

Reaction Score
Seems like Calhoun has closed up shop with the 2012 class - a move I very much agree with. There's nobody left worth giving a scholarship to and the 2013 class is hugely important to the program's near future.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
im actually looking forward to this year(i know about the ban)... we havent won a big east title in years and it would be nice to win that and work on new sets, chemistry, get everyone on the same page and screw over some teams trying to get into the tourney

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
im actually looking forward to this year(i know about the ban)... we havent won a big east title in years and it would be nice to win that and work on new sets, chemistry, get everyone on the same page and screw over some teams trying to get into the tourney

I really wish I shared your optimism. I'm not in a good place sports-wise. UConn is taking a beating, the Celtics just got knocked out, and the Sox are dreadful.

I just hope we win more games than we lose this season. A Big East title? With our frontcourt?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Our front court lacks size, depth, talent and perhaps a firm grasp of the English language.

But all of that can be overcome with moxie. And Germans. I hope.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I really wish I shared your optimism. I'm not in a good place sports-wise. UConn is taking a beating, the Celtics just got knocked out, and the Sox are dreadful.

I just hope we win more games than we lose this season. A Big East title? With our frontcourt?
could we have won a national title with the team two years ago? anything's possible

Reaction Score
Our front court lacks size, depth, talent and perhaps a firm grasp of the English language.

Yeah, but what if the German's bomb Pearl Harbor again?

Reaction Score
One thing is for sure, they all want to be at Storrs and be in a Husky uniform.......that's already an improvement!!!:).....

Now if they can catch the ball, pass it, dribble it and get an ocassional rebound we have dramatically improved!!!:rolleyes:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
could we have won a national title with the team two years ago? anything's possible

Anything is possible. Omar Calhoun and Phil Nolan could have Harkless-like freshman seasons, Boatright could make the leap, and Olander and Napier could play against good competition the way they have played against bad competition.

And monkeys could fly out of your butt.

U

UCONNfan1

I like the sound of the team. I like the chemistry they should have. But I'm not optimistic that we will finish in the top half of the big east and I think ending the season with more wins than losses will be considered a success. I'm just being realistic. I know it's a new season filled with hope and all that but the reality is our front court is going to get eaten alive by strong, physical, or experienced teams.

Reaction Score
Anything is possible. Omar Calhoun and Phil Nolan could have Harkless-like freshman seasons, Boatright could make the leap, and Olander and Napier could play against good competition the way they have played against bad competition.

I am cautiously optimistic. I like our 4 guards a lot and the German swing men are pretty good. If Wolfe, Nolan and Olander can hold down the middle and Daniels steps up big we can surprise.

I like that JC seems so nonchalant. Usually, he is mellow and lays low when he knows his team is going to be better than expected.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We're gonna win the Big East.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
One thing is for sure, they all want to be at Storrs and be in a Husky uniform.......that's already an improvement!!!:).....

That's the key. It's a fresh start with new faces and a fighting chance. Despite what some may say on this board, this group will not have to live up to high expectations...they will be playing with house money. Hopefully, this will allow SN, RB & DD to play with less of a weight on their shoulders.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Don't forget spunkiness. What's moxie without spunkiness?

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score

Now if they can catch the ball, pass it, dribble it and get an ocassional rebound we have dramatically improved!!!:rolleyes:

I'll be happy if all the players can at least shoot some decent free throws. I can't take another player who shoots like drummond.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am cautiously optimistic. I like our 4 guards a lot and the German swing men are pretty good. If Wolfe, Nolan and Olander can hold down the middle and Daniels steps up big we can surprise.

I like that JC seems so nonchalant. Usually, he is mellow and lays low when he knows his team is going to be better than expected.

Maybe after telling us he was going to press and run more last year, and then playing the usual style, he will finally do it. This team can't play half court and expect to win. But if the press can shorten the shot clock, and create easy transition hoops, they could surprise.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Seems like Calhoun has closed up shop with the 2012 class - a move I very much agree with. There's nobody left worth giving a scholarship to and the 2013 class is hugely important to the program's near future.
I think you are correct. JC is playing the hand he has right now. Get ready to cry Wolf. After that Ryan, Shabazz, DD and Tyler.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to what Daniels brings. I thought he started off well and then the wheels came off on his shot. Kind of like what happened to Jeremy his freshman season before he miraculously got his shot back just in time for the postseason.

And I also like Giffey a lot. I know he can be a dangerous 3-point shooter for us. He'll have his opportunities.

I just think if you think we have a real shot at the conference title, you're setting yourself up for a very disappointing season. This is a bridge year. I will watch every single game and root like crazy for these kids, and there will be some liberation in knowing we're just playing to get better rather than for postseason positioning, but we're going to see a lot of humbling defeats. If you're not prepared for that, you're going to have a rough go of it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

anything is possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member