UCONN MBB not built on one and dones... | The Boneyard

UCONN MBB not built on one and dones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
..maybe one or two kids come along every 4 or 5 years and leaves after one or two years, but our program isn't built on that... and I for one am thankful...

Reaction Score
..maybe one or two kids come along every 4 or 5 years and leaves after one or two years, but our program isn't built on that... and I for one am thankful...

While this is certainly true and good, think what it would have been like if Kevin Ollie had landed Kevin Durant.

Reaction Score
KO is not JC and if he can get top 10 kids who leave early and thats how he wants to build the team so be it. Unlike Uk- Kevin will get the right kind of one and dones if he goes in that direction. Picture having a one and done center next year with the other pieces we have- I'd take that in a second.

Reaction Score
OP sounds silly. Our program isn't built on talent? JC use to recruit the hell out of top 10ers. Also you must be under a rock with all the discussion of a raised age limit. KO's prime objective is attain talent, let him work.

Reaction Score
it's going to be interesting to see how KO navigates the top talent that may be attainable to him in our program.

I don't mind landing a potential one and done player every few years, but I certainly don't want a team of them. As much as I like winning I enjoy getting to know our players, I think it is very hard to win with a team that does not have upper classman leadership. I want them to have a good mix between short timers, one or two and done players as well as some talented 3 and 4 year players.

I have complete trust in Kevin Ollie, that he'll figure it out. I do like having a team of hungry Huskies, players that don't rest on their rankings but are always working hard to improve their game and play as a team. 10 toes in!

Hopefully they change the age so that top players will have to stay for at least two years.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Call me old school, but I have a hard time digesting the thought of a one-and-done "representing" our University. It's one thing to have a tradition of winning, it's another to suggest that any one-and-dones will give the average UConn fan/supporter the same kind of emotional attachment that a Kemba/Bazz/Rip/Emeka/KEA, etc. have provided us over the years.

I like what we've been doing w/o going in that direction. And we've proven 4x that we don't need to.

Reaction Score
There isn't one program that would turn-down possible one & done talent… I'm not saying anyone is suggesting that… I'm just saying that this is the current environment that top college coaches must operate within & there really isn't any choice. If this level of talent wants to come to UCONN, they will all be accepted with open arms...

Reaction Score
What has KD done for Barnes? Our guys got Ollie a NC.

Reaction Score
Kevin Durant is an obvious exception to one and dones you want. I'm happy we got Drummond because when hes a hall of famer he'll always have that "Uconn" alma-mater thing going for him.

I wouldn't want to be a Kentucky fan. They re-load. We return.

Reaction Score
Call me old school, but I have a hard time digesting the thought of a one-and-done "representing" our University. It's one thing to have a tradition of winning, it's another to suggest that any one-and-dones will give the average UConn fan/supporter the same kind of emotional attachment that a Kemba/Bazz/Rip/Emeka/KEA, etc. have provided us over the years.

I like what we've been doing w/o going in that direction. And we've proven 4x that we don't need to.

You're not old school, you're just kidding yourself. You can make a pretty long list of the kids UConn swung and missed on who ended up being one and done.

Reaction Score
Weren't we close to getting Kevin Garnett back in the day before he didn't qualify?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You're not old school, you're just kidding yourself. You can make a pretty long list of the kids UConn swung and missed on who ended up being one and done.

They were never here, thus it never happened.

Reaction Score
They were never here, thus it never happened.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be wit, but your point was that you like the fact that UConn hasn't gone in the direction of signing kids who are one and done. The fact is that we've gone after the same one and dones that most other programs have, we just haven't really landed them. So, in a nutshell, your premise is incorrect.

caw

Reaction Score
Well then this possible change to two and done should help UConn a bit.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Kevin Durant is an obvious exception to one and dones you want. I'm happy we got Drummond because when hes a hall of famer he'll always have that "Uconn" alma-mater thing going for him.

I wouldn't want to be a Kentucky fan. They re-load. We return.

Drummond a hall of famer, already?
even he could have used another year
I really don't consider any one and done who doesn't come back to get a degree an alumni
he's a talent, no doubt, but really, what he brought vs costing another good kid a 4 yr scholly...................

Reaction Score
He is coming back to UConn to take classes and if you remember he didn't take a scholarship while he was here.

Reaction Score
I would hope every 'prized' recruit would play their freshman year as a one and done. Just because you don't seem to be recruiting them doesn't mean one or two don't blow up their first year.

Its not the one player but the supporting cast that makes UConn bball to me. Our coaches including JC don't kiss player's arses to the point of giving them unlimited freedom. We have a proven discipline philosophy which will not be altered for one player.

So yes a Wiggens, Parker or Randle could fit in, and wouldn't affect our brand whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Drummond a hall of famer, already?
even he could have used another year
I really don't consider any one and done who doesn't come back to get a degree an alumni
he's a talent, no doubt, but really, what he brought vs costing another good kid a 4 yr scholly....

You have no idea of what that might be though.. could be Melo.. or could be a 4-year player who never really gets off the bench

Reaction Score
I really don't consider any one and done who doesn't come back to get a degree an alumni.
Well a large financial donation instantly changes that, particularly if its earned from one year of playing UConn ball. Also many early declarations were surrounding the Champions and attending postseason events in UConn gear. They may not be technically alumni, but they certainly have UConn blood.

Reaction Score
Well a large financial donation instantly changes that, particularly if its earned from one year of playing UConn ball. Also many early declarations were surrounding the Champions and attending postseason events in UConn gear. They may not be technically alumni, but they certainly have UConn blood.

In the most technical sense of the word, an alumnus is anybody who attended the University so they are alumni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom