UConn makes the list: Almost every 2014 final has disappointed | The Boneyard

UConn makes the list: Almost every 2014 final has disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
13. NCAA women’s basketball final (Connecticut 79, Notre Dame 58)

Undefeated UConn against undefeated Notre Dame. No matter your interest level in women’s basketball, this game should have been catnip for all sports fans. But after trailing 8-6 early in the game, UConn rattled off 16 straight points and never looked back, eventually winning by 21 points. It was the opposite of the Super Bowl: Given the dominance of Geno Auriemma’s Huskies, we totally should have seen this one coming.

LINK

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Yes, the semifinal vs. Stanford was a tighter game throughout and in the final score. Should have been UConn-MD and Stanford-Notre Dame in semis, then perhaps a much more interesting final game. Tough because UConn significantly outpaced rest of the field, even if ND was undefeated previously.

U

UCONNfan1

Yes, the semifinal vs. Stanford was a tighter game throughout and in the final score. Should have been UConn-MD and Stanford-Notre Dame in semis, then perhaps a much more interesting final game. Tough because UConn significantly outpaced rest of the field, even if ND was undefeated previously.
Just my $.02, but ND was better than Stanford, even though ND lost their starting center 3 games into the NCAA tourney. UCONN was flat for much of the game vs. Stanford, but not against ND.

I do think if ND played Stanford 10 times, ND wins at least 8 of them. But it's just an opinion. My point is you can't necessarily go by the score and say Stanford is better because they played UCONN closer...

Reaction Score
Actually we made the list twice!

8. NCAA men’s basketball final (Connecticut 60, Kentucky 54)
UConn never trailed in the surprise final. Kentucky made it interesting with eight minutes left in the game, but after tourney hero Aaron Harrison missed a corner three that would have given the Wildcats their first lead, Kentucky faltered and never got close again.

How come when other teams play great they are glorified, but when we do we make the list of games that are bad, uncompetitive, or ugly. Maybe these are back-handed compliments but somehow it doesn't feel that way. How did Aaron Harrison become the tournament hero when Shabazz outplayed everyone in the field? WTF.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
13. NCAA women’s basketball final (Connecticut 79, Notre Dame 58)

Undefeated UConn against undefeated Notre Dame. No matter your interest level in women’s basketball, this game should have been catnip for all sports fans. But after trailing 8-6 early in the game, UConn rattled off 16 straight points and never looked back, eventually winning by 21 points. It was the opposite of the Super Bowl: Given the dominance of Geno Auriemma’s Huskies, we totally should have seen this one coming.

LINK
I'm not a regular Women's team viewer unless they are playing another team in the Top 10, but I know this (and I posted as such back around the end of the regular season): There was exactly zero chance that Notre Dame was winning that game. The UConn women played some of the best team defense in the history of Women's basketball last season. They held every opponent, including teams ranked in the top 5, to well below their average scoring output in every single game. Notre Dame's strength was in their offense. They were not as good defensively and allowed a few teams to at least approach their average.

To boot, Notre Dame lost arguably their best player. Any chance that Notre Dame had, left the court on a torn ACL in the Elite Eight. Notre Dame may have been the second best team in the country last season, but the gap between No. 1 and No. 2 was far greater than the gap between No. 2 and No. 3.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Actually we made the list twice!

8. NCAA men’s basketball final (Connecticut 60, Kentucky 54)
UConn never trailed in the surprise final. Kentucky made it interesting with eight minutes left in the game, but after tourney hero Aaron Harrison missed a corner three that would have given the Wildcats their first lead, Kentucky faltered and never got close again.

How come when other teams play great they are glorified, but when we do we make the list of games that are bad, uncompetitive, or ugly. Maybe these are back-handed compliments but somehow it doesn't feel that way. How did Aaron Harrison become the tournament hero when Shabazz outplayed everyone in the field? WTF.

This game should have made the list, but not because UConn beat national darling Kentucky. It was disappointing final because it involved a No. 7 vs. No. 8 seed.

Harrison was a tournament hero because of his last minute heroics. Shabazz was solid all the way through. After the near St. Joes catastrophe, UConn dominated their opponents defensively. They literally did not allow Villanova, Iowa St, Michigan State, or Florida to do want they wanted to do (Niang being hurt certainly helped UConn's cause). It wasn't really a pretty brand of basketball, but that is in the eyes of the beholder and not-so-pretty wins count just as much as a high scoring all offense / no defense game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Jeez, UK-Kentucky sure seemed like a tension-filled game to me.

And it's hard to imagine being remotely disappointed by the curb stomping of ND in the finale of the 2013-14 WCBB season. I'd say the play of Stefanie Dolson and Breanna Stewart was a thing of beauty, worth of appreciation.

Reaction Score
That list is pretty silly. Some of those were really great games.

Reaction Score
One of the things I love about UC women's BB is that even when they have a big lead, they are great to watch. I thought the game was a great show of BB, even if some were disappointed that it wasn't closer. A lot of teams get sloppy or start grandstanding and playing to the crowd when they get ahead. Not UConn. And when things are tight (rarely) they don't get chippy and overly physical either which can be unpleasant to watch. They almost always play a style of bb that bb fans can really appreciate for the skill and discipline. Well, except for the fans of the team being beaten...

Reaction Score
That list is pretty silly. Some of those were really great games.
Agree - nonsense. The writer must have been saving that filler piece for a really slow sports day, or for when he had a bad hangover and couldn't think of anything meaningful to write.

Reaction Score
Well at least he included the women's final as a major sports championship. That's progress....I guess. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom