Uconn latest Great N. Collier and U19 played against Russian Pro's | The Boneyard

Uconn latest Great N. Collier and U19 played against Russian Pro's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20...eshman-napheesa-collier-helps-lead-us-to-gold
Jim Fullers piece on Collier is just great. But the final paragraph says that 4 or 5 Russians (he names them) play with Spartaka the Russian Pro team that Steff Dolson plays on. Maybe most knew this but this was news to me.

He also says her stats are on a par with Diana, Maya, Stewie

Dangerfield played against pro's and College Students and out played them. Great piece.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"Collier is the 13th current or future UConn player to represent the U.S. at the U19 tournament, but the only ones to average more than the 13.2 points that Collier did were eventual college national players of the year Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore and Breanna Stewart." Actually, Dee, Maya, and Stewie were multiple-time NPOYs. Good for Napheesa! She looks like a great one!

Crystal had a 19/4 assist/TO ratio. That sounds very Moriah-like.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the pro issue - this is age specific and a lot of Europeans are 'professional' at quite a young age - they may or may not play on the 'senior' club team, but most of these clubs have multiple teams - Spartak I believe takes kids from pre-highschool and houses them teaches them and trains them. Two of the players on the Russian team I think are part of their national team pool - which is also true for Kia Nurse of course (Canadian NT as a HS student.)

Reaction Score
Yes, Collier looked so poised, graceful, almost a calming, confident, reliable, player you can turn to presence. For such a young player, this was amazing to watch.
And as an aside, I thought the Russians played superbly, with fantastic ball movement, teamwork, gutsy players who never seemed to give up. It was thrilling to watch them.

Reaction Score
On the pro issue - this is age specific and a lot of Europeans are 'professional' at quite a young age - they may or may not play on the 'senior' club team, but most of these clubs have multiple teams - Spartak I believe takes kids from pre-highschool and houses them teaches them and trains them. Two of the players on the Russian team I think are part of their national team pool - which is also true for Kia Nurse of course (Canadian NT as a HS student.)
The article says the players were on the 'senior' club and played with Stef. Quote from the article:
"Russia’s four double-digit scorers were Daria Kolosovskaia (19 points), Raisa Musina (16), Kseniia Levchenko (13) and Maria Vadeeva (11) who all played alongside former UConn star Stefanie Dolson with Spartak M.R. Vidnoje in Russia during the winter."

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Pros are eligible to play in the FIBA UXX Tournaments. They still have an age requirement, so although some of the Russians may have been Pros, they were similar ages to all other Team players. I'm sure Russia is having most of their best young players play in their pro league versus attending a US College to get ready for the 2020 Olympics. Based on their U19 Team, they'll have a medal contender team by then IF they continue to develop.

Reaction Score
The article says the players were on the 'senior' club and played with Stef. Quote from the article:
"Russia’s four double-digit scorers were Daria Kolosovskaia (19 points), Raisa Musina (16), Kseniia Levchenko (13) and Maria Vadeeva (11) who all played alongside former UConn star Stefanie Dolson with Spartak M.R. Vidnoje in Russia during the winter."

The don't play all the time, though. They are called up for short stints in very much the same way major league teams call up minor leaguers when there are injuries. Once the tournaments start, they are very rarely on the senior roster.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Not predicting anything conclusively, but imagine the 2016-17 starting five is:

Natalie Butler
Morgan Tuck
Katie Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Kia Nurse

With a bench consisting of players that could easily be good enough to be starters, or at minimum reliably in the rotation: Gabby, Dangerfield, Ekmark, Saniya, Kayla...and one more year for Lawlor!

Remember John Wooden's streak of seven consecutive NCs? Maybe that's one last record of his at which Geno could make a run. :)

Reaction Score
Remember John Wooden's streak of seven consecutive NCs? Maybe that's one last record of his at which Geno could make a run. :)[/QUOTE]

Only TonyC would promise that one.:p

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Remember John Wooden's streak of seven consecutive NCs? Maybe that's one last record of his at which Geno could make a run. :)

Only TonyC would promise that one.:p[/QUOTE]If UCONN lands Cox, and then Walker, I think more than TonyC will be on board with that kind of prediction!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom