UConn is academically superior to most of the B10 | The Boneyard

UConn is academically superior to most of the B10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Using the ranking of US News and World Report, UConn would be 7th of the 14 B10 teams. For non math majors that's the top half.

The teams ahead of us. NW #12, Michigan #28, PSU #37, Illinois #41 (tie), Wiscy #41 (tie), OSU #52, UConn checks in at #57.

So next time you're on a board and some moron tells you that UConn is a bad academic fit for the B10, they are objectively wrong.

Reaction Score
And you're thinking that the primary reason that UConn wasn't offered the BiG 10 was academics? Not so much.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
And you're thinking that the primary reason that UConn wasn't offered the BiG 10 was academics? Not so much.

True, but academics can be a deal breaker. Bad academics would keep us out. Strong academics keep alive the possibility that we might get in.

Reaction Score
The top of the ACC is ranked higher than the B1G, correct?

Reaction Score
And you're thinking that the primary reason that UConn wasn't offered the Big 10 was academics? Not so much.
Work on your reading comprehension. I said or implied no such thing.

On many boards, posters will write that UConn is a bad academic fit for the B10 or flat out slander our academics. Just providing folks with some facts.

Reaction Score

On many boards, posters will write that UConn is a bad academic fit for the B10 or flat out slander our academics. Just providing folks with some facts.

The fact that UConn isn't in BiG 10 (at the moment) has NOTHING to do with academics. And . . . since when does the BiG 10 or any other major conference concern themselves overly with academics?

Reaction Score
Give Pal a break. He's making a valid point. No one said The B1G hasn't offered us because of academics but notwithstanding the fact that we're not AAU (an assumed prerequisite) our recent BBall victiory was often punctuated by comments regarding having missed the prior year due to bad academics, graduation rates, APR etc. That all gets lumped together by many into "UConn isn't a very good academic institution and therefore not a good fit for our (whichever) conference". In fact we are an excellent academic institution. Now you have some rankings to prove it.

Reaction Score
Give Pal a break. He's making a valid point. No one said The B1G hasn't offered us because of academics but notwithstanding the fact that we're not AAU (an assumed prerequisite) our recent BBall victiory was often punctuated by comments regarding having missed the prior year due to bad academics, graduation rates, APR etc. That all gets lumped together by many into "UConn isn't a very good academic institution and therefore not a good fit for our (whichever) conference". In fact we are an excellent academic institution. Now you have some rankings to prove it.

Yup. What is being conflated is AAU and "strong academics". The two are not the same, although I'm sure the B1G likes to position it that way. All AAU means is that the institutions are heavy research based institutions living off the public grant teet. In fact if you read their own description it emphasizes the "partnership" (i.e., money flow) from the US government to the institutions. Think of it like their own Power Conference for grant money.

UConn fits very well into the B1G and is a stellar public university with a very competitive academic standing. It just doesn't have as good grant writers and a well oiled research money machine in place.

Many if these issues are red-herrings and excuses. There is a steady dialogue emerging that the B1G made a big mistake not taking UConn and they better move quickly before the ACC grabs us.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
It's all about the research for these schools. Having a great undergrad program is one thing... ut can we brin gin the money and prestige that the big bucks of research brings in. With our new state investment the answer is yes but the university has to promote this to other conferences. We need to get the tech park up and running, we have to get the news of what we are doing at Uconn Health center with genetics out there... we just need more time to paint the entire picture...

and win in football also.

Reaction Score
It's all about SAT scores. UCONN on par with most of Big 10. MI ahead for sure. Average Math fo MI almost 700. That's good. Some samples. Not sure how comparative Pulled info from several places..

MI SAT Class of 2015:
630 - 730 CR
670 - 770 M
650 - 750 W
1950 - 2250 CR+M+W

Indiana

In fall 2013, the middle 50 percent range of SAT scores for admitted freshmen was 1110–1320 (critical reading and math only), and the middle 50 percent range of ACT scores was 24–30.

Ohio State

Total: 1660-1980
Critical Reading: 540-650
Math: 580-690
Writing: 540-640

UCONN

The average SAT scores for University of Connecticut (UConn) are:
Average SAT Verbal Score: 600, which is 85 higher than the average for all Colleges and Universities.

Average SAT Math Score: 630, which is 110 higher than the average for all Colleges and Universities.

Average SAT Writing Score: 615, which is 105 higher than the average for all Colleges and Universities.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If you want a good chuckle, go look up Louisville's numbers.

I think most people who are not familiar with UCONN think about the APR suspension and automatically assume that UCONN is some boatz n hoes school. So even after a championship, Mark Emmert's Bloodhound Gang antics are still kicking our perception in the nuts.

Reaction Score
True, but academics can be a deal breaker. Bad academics would keep us out. Strong academics keep alive the possibility that we might get in.

I think that may have been true in the past, but doubt it this day in age. (example, Louisville) I know that's the ACC and we are talking big10, but either way I do not think all this realignment had much to do with grades

Reaction Score

It's the way the subject is posted. That in your face attitude immediately gets every b1g poster in a titter. I would say we are on par and slightly better than the b1g average. We are a good fit, because we are investing at a heavy rate and our goal will be to become one of top 3/4 academic institutions in the b1g.

Reaction Score
It's the way the subject is posted. That in your face attitude immediately gets every b1g poster in a titter. I would say we are on par and slightly better than the b1g average. We are a good fit, because we are investing at a heavy rate and our goal will be to become one of top 3/4 academic institutions in the b1g.

Fitting in academically is not the issue anymore. If you want to believe what the commish's say about the prestige of thier conference, or what the talking heads say about your blood being blue enough to join "X" conference, then go ahead. This is about money. period.

Reaction Score
It's all about the research for these schools. Having a great undergrad program is one thing... ut can we brin gin the money and prestige that the big bucks of research brings in. With our new state investment the answer is yes but the university has to promote this to other conferences. We need to get the tech park up and running, we have to get the news of what we are doing at Uconn Health center with genetics out there... we just need more time to paint the entire picture...

and win in football also.
Yup.

Reaction Score
don't over think things. its about money, tv sets, and national following. everything else is mute

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
and automatically assume that UCONN is some boatz n hoes school.

Nearly spit out my coffee. :)

Reaction Score
The top of the ACC is ranked higher than the B1G, correct?

I do not remember the exact numbers; but, I believe the ACC is very top heavy in the US News ranking; but; the B1G overall average is better.

Reaction Score

You could not be more correct. We should have expected it. The slander. The "ya buts." The Kellermans' on Napier's "ban rant." The Mushnicks' on "JC's thugs and criminals" and "KO's grammar." Using the APR issues to taint academics at an entire University. A "Journalist" in northern NJ mis-characterizing UCONN's national ranking as an academic iinstitution. I'm sure there are more examples.

The fact that the occasional no-nothing misrepresents UCONN would not have been a problem pre-internet. Unfortunately, wrong-headed crap can now lead to misconceptions that become accepted "truth" unless challenged by the real truth. And, sites like the BY can't be the lone "challenger." After all, the BY is just another biased Internet site.

I think the school has to start, tastefully, challenging misconceptions and incorrect negative perceptions that, if left unchallenged, will damage both academic and athletic futures. Go on SNY and challenge Mushnick to name the "criminals and thugs" in JC's program, since 1986. Bring on Larry Brown, James and Durant to talk about the KO that occasionally uses a double negative or dangles a participle. There's more to representing a University than being able to diagram sentences. Put out a "The Following is Bull Spit" Press Release (for wide release) that corrects mistruths/untruths/outright lies as they occur. Make sure that talking heads know that they will be embarrassed publicly if they don't check their facts.

Finally, make sure that the world knows that UCONN has no trouble with truth, but will not allow its reputation to be tarnished by lies or innuendo. RANT OFF!!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah it's about money and if you compare the posted ratings from all the B1G schools in this tournament to what UConn drew, you will see one reason why we are not attractive to either conference right now. Basketball is our flagship and even though we are elite on the court our national ratings suck ass.

B1G teams draw viewers. Duke draws viewers, Kentucky draws viewers.
Uconn not so much.

Reaction Score
Yeah it's about money and if you compare the posted ratings from all the B1G schools in this tournament to what UConn drew, you will see one reason why we are not attractive to either conference right now. Basketball is our flagship and even though we are elite on the court our national ratings suck ass.

B1G teams draw viewers. Duke draws viewers, Kentucky draws viewers.
Uconn not so much.

Good point, UConn sucks and no one watches us. My mistake.

August_West

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
Good point, UConn sucks and no one watches us. My mistake.

Pretty snarky response to an unquestionable truth right now. Look at the numbers from this tourney and tell us what we offer the B1G? It's about television sets. We aren't lightning them up right now.

pj

Reaction Score
Teams draw viewers when they are hated. If we keep winning, we'll be hated. Give it time.

August_West

Reaction Score
pj said:
Teams draw viewers when they are hated. If we keep winning, we'll be hated. Give it time.

I think time is exactly what's needed, but people don't want to hear that.

But it's not just hated teams. I don't think Wisconsin is in anyone's most hated list and they draw good numbers. Michigan is a ratings juggernaut and I don't think that is out of pure hatred, like a Duke or Kentucky.

We like to think we own the NY market, but we are not providing enough of a boost to make us attractive at this point ( in fairness to us we do as well or better than anyone in NY, but no college team really carries NY, and our advantage isn't big enough, yet)

Last years Michigan Louisville final out drew Uconn Kentucky by a pretty good margin.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
don't over think things. its about money, tv sets, and national following. everything else is mute

Rutgers doesn't bring TV sets in NYC. So if that is the reason, they fail. What got Rutgers in the B10 is that they are nearby NYC and the largest market in the country.
Show me the national following at Rutgers? You cant because it doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom