UConn in the NBA | The Boneyard

UConn in the NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There must have been a previous thread somewhere but I don't know where so I figured I'd make a new one. Perhaps this can be a place to keep tabs on our alums in the NBA.

Here are some preseason lines:

Oct 3:
Pelicans vs. Pacers - Jeff Adrien 3 pts 6 boards in 15 mins
Hornets vs Magic - Kemba 13 pts 8 asts, Lamb 16 pts 4 boards, Shabazz 2 pts 3 asts in 9 mins

Oct 4:
Hornets vs. Heat - Kemba 17 pts, Lamb 8 pts (2-11 shooting) in starting role

Oct 5:
Nets vs. some foreign team - Boatright 2 pts (1-3) in 7 mins
Kings vs. Blazers - Rudy 4 pts (2-11) 9 boards, Caron DNP

Oct 6:
Warriors vs. Raptors - Ben Gordon 0 pts in 6 mins
Pistons vs. Pacers - Drummond 16 pts 9 boards
Mavs vs. Nuggets - Charlie V 18 pts 8 boards

Reaction Score
What about Daniels? Is he playing in the NBA this season?

Reaction Score
Awesome to see Bazz making big plays. I hope he can carve out a nice niche in Orlando.

Other lines:

Charlie v HOU: 10 pts 6 rbs
Rudy v PHX: 30 pts (10-13) 6 rbs in 24 mins
Caron vs PHX: 0 pts (0-6 shooting) in 22 mins

Reaction Score
Things bazz needs to work on this season :
1.avoid conflict with coaches and teammates.
2. Refer to #1
3. Refer to #1

Last year after a strong winter he got tossed to the d league for acting disruptive in practice ( He was jawing with either chalmers or cole not sure which , wouldn't stop , and jawed at fizdale the assistant HC who looks like gus from the wire. Also heard he wasn't down with doing rookie duties, got on the bad side of all the vets minus bosh). After the dleague stint he earned little PT and a ton of DNPs. He really needs to appease skiles , a coach notorious for his doghouse and stubbornness ... All that said perhaps he thrives under a different organization. Earned a bad rep but the kid can shoot at the pro level and compete.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Add 3 steals and a rebound for Boat too. I wasn't too happy seeing Sloan get 2x his minutes and put up 7 pts, 7 assists, and 2 steals.

Reaction Score
It's just the preseason, but Andre Drummond looks poised for a monster season. The Pistons have built their roster around the Reggie Jackson/Andre Drummond pick & roll surrounded by shooters, and rookie Stanley Johnson looks like he might be the steal of the draft. With Van Gundy as coach, I really think they're a dark horse team to snag a playoff birth in the East, and Drummond will be a big reason why.

On top of being in a good situation, Andre is playing the best basketball of his life. He's been one of the league's top rebounders since he stepped onto an NBA court, but now he's seriously developing his low-post game. His free throw shooting is still an issue, but he's gotten to the point where he can start creating his own points in the paint; something he's shown flashes of in the past, but always inconsistently. He's got a baby jump hook that's money, and he still remains a historically great offensive rebounder, which allows for a lot of easy "garbage points." I'm really excited to see how Andre will play in the 4-out-1-in scheme Van Gundy runs, which made Dwight Howard a superstar in Orlando.

Just as a reminder to people, Drummond put up the ridiculous line of 27 points and 16 rebounds in the Team USA scrimmage earlier this summer:

And here are his highlights from a game this postseason. Nothing overly flashy (though I could do without the head-shaking, which he got from Stanley Johnson...), but he's showing much better awareness in his game on both sides of the ball, and looks ready to make a leap this year.

It's easy to forget that he turned 22 just two months ago. I firmly believe Drummond is a budding star in the NBA. It's one of the things I'm most excited about for the upcoming NBA season.

Reaction Score
This kinda doesn't fit here, but then again I think it does.

Just got NBA2k16 and was looking through the international rosters they have and found an old friend..

f57LAfV.jpg

Reaction Score
Saturday Lines:

Boat v PHI: DNP
Drummond v MIL: 17 pts (7-10) 7 rbs
Caron v POR: 4 pts in 16 mins in a start
Rudy v POR: DNP

Reaction Score
Jeremy Lamb G 23:40 12 pts, 4 assists, 3 rbs 4-8 fg /2-4 3pt/ 2-2 ft 0 TOs

Kemba Walker G 22:54 13 pts 5 assists 1 rb 5-8 fg/ 3-4 ft 3 TO's

Played in Shenzhen. Lamb will be spoon fed minutes this season as he will most likely start at shooting guard... God I hope he shows some modicum of consistency on defense. An opportunity to prove he is starter worthy or even solid rotation player, and earn a nice contract. Lin will most likely be closing games in his slot, but he should be seeing a constant dose of +25 mpg.

Reaction Score
Napier is the front-runner to win the third-string point guard job behind Elfrid Payton and C.J. Watson and ahead of Keith Appling, who spent all of last season with the Magic’s D-League team in Eerie, Pa. However, because the Magic have a glut of wing players and others such as Victor Oladipo and Evan Fournier who can initiate the offense, the Magic could choose to keep an extra big man (such as Greg Stiemsma) on the roster. One thing helping Napier’s case is the fact that he can play both guard spots in certain matchups.

Skiles, a former 6-foot-1 point guard himself during his playing days, said that it’s important for Napier to find ways to compensate for his lack of size in a league full of bigger point guards.

"Shabazz has a slight frame,’’ Skiles said. "It’s not that he’s not tough. There are bigger bodies. He’s always going to have that (size disadvantage). So he’s just got to make up for it with his ability to shoot.

"There are lot of guys that have played in the NBA for a long time … D.J. Augustin is a smaller guy, Dana Barros. There’s a long list,’’ Skiles added. They usually do something at a very high level.’’

LINK
hopefully he makes the squad.

Reaction Score
That kind of made me angry. The fact they were compared in the first place is one thing, but calling him a below average player and PG is pretty uninformed in my opinion. I get he's not the best volume shooter but he still averages 18 a game. I watched alot of Hornets games, he averaged 6 assists, probably would've averaged around 8-9 if his players could hit open shots he gave them. Only adding fuel to the fire for someone who burns bright, so not a huge deal.

Reaction Score
Don't really have much of an issue with the article, its time for Kemba to make a leap, his shooting is atrocious for the volume of shots he takes.

Reaction Score
just another example of how statistics is the most deceptive subject matter. Statistics can be made to say whatever you want them to, but never really show the whole picture. The comments on that article seem to understand this. Waiters sucks when he plays with guys like Lebron, KD, and westbrook, 3 first ballot HOF'ers. Kemba plays with mostly scrubs (minus big Al), and is still a productive PG. The one thing the article hits on the head is the example of the 4 random guys playing with kemba and waiters, and Kemba's team winning every time. Kemba makes players better, and want to play better. Waiters makes players wish they were on another team

Reaction Score
Don't really have much of an issue with the article, its time for Kemba to make a leap, his shooting is atrocious for the volume of shots he takes.

I agree that his shooting has been poor but with that said he hasn't exactly had much offensive help. This year could be different with the addition of Batum, Lamb, Kaminsky, etc. He won't need to carry the team in scoring as much

Reaction Score
I would like to see Kemba play on a team with a modern offensive philosophy, and with guys who can actually stretch the floor. They look to be taking steps in the right direction, based upon their roster construction and drastic increase in 3 point attempts this pre-season.

From a recent Grantland article by Kirk Goldsberry:

The 2014-15 Hornets ranked last in effective field goal percentage and 3-point percentage and ranked 29th in overall field goal percentage. When you drill down on their individual players, you see how they arrived at the bottom of these team categories. Last season, 172 players (over a third of the league) attempted at least 500 shots. Of that massive group, three of the six least-effective shooters — Kemba Walker, Gary Neal, and Stephenson — played in Charlotte’s backcourt.3

Now that could be dumb luck, or it could be coaching and team philosophy.

While it’s tempting to simply label players like Walker “inefficient,” that’s kind of shallow. Just as shooters are better with assistance from teammates, they need some from their coaches too. Who is assisting the assisters? Who is styling the offense? Coaches have a huge place at this table, and if you’re looking for evidence, look no further than our new overlords in Oakland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom