UCONN Huskies: Big Ten's What If | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Huskies: Big Ten's What If

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It may very well be the case that UConn joins the ACC before the B1G and it certainly should if the ACC is the first of the two conferences to extend an invitation. However, my impression – although the ACC posters can correct me if I am wrong – is that the ACC will likely not pursue further expansion in the hopes that Notre Dame will eventually elect to join full time as the 15th school at which time a 16th school such as UConn would be added. What is the likelihood that Notre Dame will join the ACC full time? It is my impression - although the Notre Dame posters can correct me if I am wrong - that Notre Dame intends to remain independent in football for the forseeable future.

Independence as much as it can be kept is perhaps priority #1 for ND.

But it is much more complicated than it sounds. In the mid-80s, our basketball fans were adamant that we would never be in any conference for basketball. Until we made the deal with the ACC, most of us were certain, diamond hard certain, that we would never be in a conference for football to any degree, in any way, shape or form. And now the ACC is scheduling 5 games per year for us, home and away, rotating equally among all 14. Due to divisional scheduling, we will play Virginia, North Carolina, and Duke more often than Florida State and Clemson play them. We will play Florida State and Clemson more often than Pitt plays them.

Situations change. As the landscape changes, we have had to change.

Here is a key part of the complexity regarding Irish football - the entire athletics department. If being truly independent in football was the only priority, even the undisputed top priority, we would be fully independent in football now and in the BE for basketball and non-revenues. We gave up half of our football independence because the university and the athletics department both want all ND sports, not just football, to be set up as ideally as possible. Accepting mid-major status for basketball and even non-revenues is not acceptable if it can be avoided.

So, we gave up half of our football independence to position the entire athletics department in the best fit for it. That does not mean we are set in 5 years to play 8 conference games and be eligible for the ACC football championship, but it also does not mean we will never do that.

The ACC is not going to try to pressure us or bribe us to change the current status. If we go full member in football, it will be because we have decided it is best all things considered. And that most likely would come from another landscape shift.

If the NCAA changes the rule that requires conferences playing a championship to have divisions that each play a round robin, then the ACC could add a 15th school as a full member in football.

Reaction Score
It is my impression - although the Notre Dame posters can correct me if I am wrong - that Notre Dame intends to remain independent in football for the forseeable future.

For a good discussion on that with the Notre Dame AD see http://www.und.com/genrel/091212aad.html .

Swarbrick knew all along that the Michigan 3 year notification deal would have to be used to serve the ACC's 5 game requirement. Brandon (Michigan AD) hinted that he didn't know the terms of the ND contract for a period of time (a year perhaps?) after he took over. I think we have Martin (previous UM AD) for the boneheaded odd-number year requirement.

Reaction Score
So if AAU status and academic research dollars had nothing to do with it then what did allow Rutgers to get in over UConn?
Rutgers is AAU and has more TV sets

Reaction Score
buddy said:
Rutgers is AAU and has more TV sets

The AAU thing is garbage. Rutgers would have gotten in without AAU status. It is a perfectly respectable state u and it brings a huge number of TV sets. This is a war for the large east coast metro markets. Based on the B1G's goals, Rutgers was the only real option in NY. Maryland and UVA were the DC area options, Maryland bit. It's amazing how many times we can beat a dead horse around here. If UConn is taken in by the B1G, it will be to shore up the market and totally own it. If that is the goal of the B1G, UConn is a perfectly respectable state u and it too will be admitted with or without AAU membership. This isn't about anything but TV dollars. It just isn't.

Any representation by the B1G that AAU is a mandatory prerequisite is nothing but a way to keep the ACC at bay for now so they can take their time debating UConn's value to their business plan. We all know without question that the B1G and the ACC need UConn to really lock down the territory. There is no way either can dominate the marketplace without us.

Reaction Score
The AAU thing is garbage. Rutgers would have gotten in without AAU status. It is a perfectly respectable state u and it brings a huge number of TV sets. This is a war for the large east coast metro markets. Based on the B1G's goals, Rutgers was the only real option in NY. Maryland and UVA were the DC area options, Maryland bit. It's amazing how many times we can beat a dead horse around here. If UConn is taken in by the B1G, it will be to shore up the market and totally own it. If that is the goal of the B1G, UConn is a perfectly respectable state u and it too will be admitted with or without AAU membership. This isn't about anything but TV dollars. It just isn't.

Any representation by the B1G that AAU is a mandatory prerequisite is nothing but a way to keep the ACC at bay for now so they can take their time debating UConn's value to their business plan. We all know without question that the B1G and the ACC need UConn to really lock down the territory. There is no way either can dominate the marketplace without us.
Nobody can dominate the NYC TV market in college football without us. ND football is required to even get close.

Nobody can dominate the NYC TV market in college basketball without Syracuse, UConn, and us. With St Johns now demoted to permanent mid-major status, ND becomes the default Catholic school for support in NYC college basketball.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh, my.

Notre Dame basketball isn't a player in New York City.

Reaction Score
I've been to more than a few BET games at MSG. Never noticed many ND fans. In fact, there were many more Pitt fans than any team not named Saracuse or UConn.

UConn and Fruit U owned that building.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
With St Johns now demoted to permanent mid-major status, ND becomes the default Catholic school for support in NYC college basketball.
Fordham basketball is more relevant in NYC than Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
B1G didn't do their research. They thought Rutgers was NYC's team.

Actually the Big Ten did its research when it added Nebraska, and they did determine that Rutgers is not NYC's team. They added Nebraska, and they tried to get a scheduling alliance going with the PAC 12. When the PAC12 declined to go forward with the Scheduling Alliance, and then the Big Ten lost Notre Dame for forever, they felt threatened and added Rutgers and Maryland as a reaction knowing that it will be a stretch to turn Rutgers into NYC's team. They invited them anyway.

Reaction Score
Amazing how institutions of higher learning can make such uninformed decisions. Just like ACC thought BC and SU brought the Boston and NYC markets.

Well there is a whole lot more ACC on television in both of those places than there ever was before the ACC added those schools. But the ACC needs to probably get different advertisers for those broadcasts. BB&T, Food Lion, and Bojangles ads look funny in New York and Boston. We need to throw in a Tim Horton's or a Wegmans ad every once in a while to throw off the Southern viewers. We're learning.

Reaction Score
Nobody can dominate the NYC TV market in college football without us. ND football is required to even get close.

Nobody can dominate the NYC TV market in college basketball without Syracuse, UConn, and us. With St Johns now demoted to permanent mid-major status, ND becomes the default Catholic school for support in NYC college basketball.

Haha. Good for a belly laugh. Hilarious.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
uconNYC said:
Amazing how institutions of higher learning can make such uninformed decisions. Just like ACC thought BC and SU brought the Boston and NYC markets.

If you spend anytime around high level academia, it's not surprising at all. The ivory tower analogy still applies in many cases.

Reaction Score
Your last sentence sums the issue. The BUG is the only conference that expands with weak athletics departments because they are in large tv markets, which means the BTN gets crammed onto local cable for the highest rates.

The BUG is quite happy with winning few national titles as long as it is rich and Meatchicken and Blohio State run the football part of the conference as they wish.
Do you really think calling Michigan "Meatchicken" resonates over here?

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, UConn will probably end up in the ACC. It will take too long for UConn to get AAU membership to gain a B1G invite, and an ACC invite would be the more likely scenario, as a long run in the AAC will be very detrimental to UConn's future as has been discussed in this blog forever. However, let's cheer up UConn fans. Realistically, if you look at P5 conference rankings in the next few years, I think the ACC will be ahead of the B1G overall in athletics. Academics matter not. The B1G will probably drop lower once they realize that the addition of RU will not bolster their presence in the Northeast, whereas the ACC probably noticed how the addition of UConn will control Maine to Miami, including NYC and Boston(which BC has failed to deliver) for them. I suspect the B1G will be too slow to act and lose out, as the first of the P5's who comes calling will probably get the date to the prom.
Realistically, there is a chance that the ACC makes up ground on the B1G if the B1G fails to make improvement in on-field performance a priority in such a way that it eschews lip service in favor of results. I don't get your Maine to Miami conclusion, however. I don't see the ACC's advantage in D.C., Phila., and NYC, the three biggest components of the northeast. NYC will likely be a stalemate with UConn and Cuse vs. Rutgers. Without a clearly dominant presence there, college sports presence will continue to languish. Philly becomes even more B1G owned as they are surrounded by Rutgers, Maryland, and Penn State. And Maryland will get the lions share of D.C. The ACC will be seriously constrained by the SEC in the south and the B1G in to north.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC situation is very similar to the B1G situation in regard to UConn. Both would have to go to 15 and likely wait 10-12 years for #16, unless there is a major shake-up. In the ACC the barrier to taking UConn is politics (south-v-north, football-v-bball, public-v-private), in the B1G it's AAU and football. Those obstacles make UConn arguably a marginal pickup for each. On the other hand, UConn must be key to the B1G's eastern strategy, and is surely a pivotal piece in conference vs conference competition for northeastern mindshare. I think if one of those conferences offers UConn, the other one will too. They have to ponder whether it makes sense to delay. I hope UConn keeps its cards close to the vest. Meanwhile, it has to work for an arrangement with the AAC in which it has major Tier 3 rights to sell, especially women's bball.
Love this post, pj. I've been thinking the same thing about if either the ACC or B1G offers, the other could as well. Unfortunately, that might not be good for us. If the ACC fears losing out to the B1G should it come to that, and they worry about the northeast dynamics with UConn in the B1G, what would be their incentive to offer us, especially given ND doesn't want to be our partner. Better for the ACC to let us dissipate our value in the humdrum world of the AAC until we are less attractive to the B1G and they could pick us up for the proverbial song and help us re-build.

As far as the B1G is concerned, they've got Rutgers and Maryland to digest. That's a big enough meal without adding even more to the plate. They too, don't have a partner for us. Given that they could match an ACC offer, should they choose to, and take their chances in a head-to-head bidding war, what's their incentive to make an early offer?

I'm curious, discounting the current ACC animosity, if two offers came, which would you take?

Reaction Score
Realistically, there is a chance that the ACC makes up ground on the B1G if the B1G fails to make improvement in on-field performance a priority in such a way that it eschews lip service in favor of results. .
Good assessment, imo. The long view here is that the demographics are on the side of the ACC vs. the BIG, as the Big is still primarily a midwest league stuck in the Rust Belt, and the population shifts projected by demographers over the next few decades are decidely south, southwest, not out to the midwest. Additionally, the retirement of Bobby Bowden who stayed too long at the Dance with JF at FSU has given the ACC the lynchpin football program it dearly needed compared with the Big. The SEC will continue to be the de facto premier college football league in the country, but insofar as the comparison between the Big and the ACC, the best high school football is still played in the south and the southwest, and the ACC has a future edge here in my opinion, now that we begin to see the inevitable ACC Coaches retired and replaced with younger and more dynamic coaches.

Reaction Score
It's not like UConn is a stock that can be picked up more cheaply in the future. You can buy Uconn now for the absolute minimum value, and that purchase price will be the same in 5 years or 10 or 20. In fact, one could argue that UConn has more assets right now as we speak with top coaches, money for new facilities, engaged fans, etc., than it might have in 10 years, so if you purchase for the rock bottom price right now, you also get something with intrinsic value.

If these conferences are going to buy UConn in the future, there is absolutely no reason not to buy them soon. The longer UConn goes without a home, the more difficult it will be. The B1G needs to digest the two new adds first, so that might be the hangup there, but the ACC is different, and it should be adding UConn now, if it had any intention of ever adding them at all.
I was really speaking to the possibility of a bidding war now due to interest by both conferences now that might not be the case in the future. Not sure exactly how that bidding war might develop. Perhaps an offer to make us whole with respect to exit fees owed by departing mates, waiving entrance fees or lower shares during a probationary period.

Reaction Score
Good assessment, imo. The long view here is that the demographics are on the side of the ACC vs. the BIG, as the Big is still primarily a midwest league stuck in the Rust Belt, and the population shifts projected by demographers over the next few decades are decidely south, southwest, not out to the midwest. Additionally, the retirement of Bobby Bowden who stayed too long at the Dance with JF at FSU has given the ACC the lynchpin football program it dearly needed compared with the Big. The SEC will continue to be the de facto premier college football league in the country, but insofar as the comparison between the Big and the ACC, the best high school football is still played in the south and the southwest, and the ACC has a future edge here in my opinion, now that we begin to see the inevitable ACC Coaches retired and replaced with younger and more dynamic coaches.
Lot of good points Yawkey and, in my opinion, a better and more productive approach to conversation than some of the baiting you've offered in other threads. As far as the demographics go, greater population growth rates in the southeast will take a long, long time (>50 years) to get the ACC's base up to that of the B1G, especially if the B1G is the big winner in the northeast. And the ACC probably doesn't have majority ownership of the five South Atlantic states (VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL) and so don't get the full benefit of population growth there.

Reaction Score

A lot of your points are valid, but this demography angle is genuine overstatement and misunderstanding on how population growth works. I can't post here much from this point on, back to work after a week and change off - always take time off for March Madness and the Frozen Four, spring cleaning as well. But my profession is Urban-Regional Planning. Few things & I'll spare the typical stats and spreadsheet calculations truly used when evaluating demography issues, which is routine in my line of work:

High School Football has been much better in the Southeast and Texas compared to the rest of the country for a long time - this is not a recent trend. There is plenty of qualitative-quantitative data out there to prove my point. BIG schools especially recruited the South from the 50s - to early 70s during segregation periods for many southern schools. Nearly every Pro Football Hall of Famer that has worn a Minnesota Gopher uniform is from the South. I think people forget a league like the SEC had to expand, mostly in region until aTm and Mizzou, to optimize its recruiting footprint & of course de-segregate its membership which haunted them until the early 70s. But it still took time to activate this membership and optimize program values & of course generate even greater regional interest & this league has clearly known about its built in resources, advantages for long, long time. Bottom line, hs talent in the Southeast-Southwest is embedded in a culture of year-round development. The weather absolutely helps because the construction of indoor facilities is not as necessary as colder regions, thus cost effective savings. Now think about Illinois & Indiana basketball, Mass or Minnesota hockey - each these states are consistently top shelf in sports they care to develop: hockey and basketball. Again, culture plays a huge role.

Often basketball talent leaves the Midwest or Northeast to play at well established blue bloods in the South or periphery (Kentucky). But the talent is still rich in these regions. Every single year basketball recruiting rankings are comprised of mucho, mucho talent from the Midwest and Northeast - no changes due to these Rust Belt decay myths. Now look at where a lot of the Midwest-Northeast kids end up signing. The reverse doesn't happen as much - southern kids don't exactly come up north to play hoops. It's often simply a weather thing and change of scenery for the Midwest kids - Minnesota had 3 top 30 basketball recruits this year - they largely left for weather, existential reasons & schools that are either known for basketball or truly special academic institutions: Duke, Stanford and UNLV. These kids are not leaving because of doom and gloom Rust Belt apocalypse constantly propagated by southern homers and esp ND fans who blame lack of recruits on their recent big stage flops. Some people are genuinely curious about the world & choose the more adventurous routes.

The BIG footprint, eastern part aside, is not exclusively Rust Belt: much of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Western & Southern Illinois and Nebraska just don't fit the Rust Belt mold. I live in Minneapolis, despite the extensive freakish cold here, this is a thriving city and state & has been since I can remember. Ultra fast growth, not exactly, but consistent and wisely done, yes.

Lastly, you need to evaluate some of the growth in the Southeast-Southwest - a lot of it is based on immigrants, new Americans, retirees, young people who don't permanently settle & also think, hmmmmmmmmmmm, "let's move to the Southeast-Southwest to raise kids so they can be football stars". I mean really.

Let's give more positive credit to the SEC for a change - nearly every member has valued football for a at least half of century, the fans care, and until recently, professional football didn't even register in most of the states. Bama, Ky, SC, Ark & Miss will likely never share their states with an NFL team. The geography is compact and most important, again, the cultural passion is quite strong, and certainly stronger than any other region.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lot of good points Yawkey and, in my opinion, a better and more productive approach to conversation than some of the baiting you've offered in other threads. As far as the demographics go, greater population growth rates in the southeast will take a long, long time (>50 years) to get the ACC's base up to that of the B1G, especially if the B1G is the big winner in the northeast. And the ACC probably doesn't have majority ownership of the five South Atlantic states (VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL) and so don't get the full benefit of population growth there.

Spot on, though some holes.

The ACC will always share the more essential states of its footprint in terms of football with the SEC & then schools like Lville, Pitt and yes, ND, must deal with in-state schools that are bigger draws: PSU (football), Ky (basketball), IU (basketball). If strategy is in their cards, which I believe is - they need to optimize their strengths in Va & NC, no SEC teams, Florida, where they have two power programs to the SEC's one, and a school like GT needs to follow the Stanford model & hold its own against UGa like the Cardinal against USC.

The ACC also has built-in rivalry games in Clemson-SCar & Tenn-Vandy. But let's be fair, Vandy sits in an international city that loves their music and professional teams as well, they will always be little brother to the Vols. Vandy is like Pitt or Minnesota, urban campuses that integrate with a much larger population that have passions and priorities beyond college loyalty - lately Miami has encountered this reality. People forget that most successful football programs are often based in isolated college towns, though Miami and USC have proven to be exceptions, but LA has no NFL team. NC definitely has football talent, but it's crowded with 4 ACC schools and basketball is still the most prized prep sport in that state. Throw in the fact that NC is dealing with realities Northeast and Midwest states have endured for decades - professional sports. NC has landed all of its professional teams within the past 25 years. Va is what I'd call an underachieving state in terms of successful football programs that optimize in-state talent, much like Illinois in the BIG with all of its routine basketball blue chips. VT has risen to a consistent power, esp under ACC membership - but their coach is nearing retirement.

Take care.

Reaction Score
We have no idea what's going to happen in the next few decades. Environmental shifts might create whole new migrations. I do know that it is not a bad idea to own real estate near the biggest bodies of fresh water on earth. Something tells me that in the future, there will be a premium on fresh water.

Actually you should Google Fresh Water Aquifers - there are some massive, untapped ones around the world - granted exploiting them will be tremendously difficult and costly, esp the ones along he Antarctica coast line.

Reaction Score
Actually you should Google Fresh Water Aquifers - there are some massive, untapped ones around the world - granted exploiting them will be tremendously difficult and costly, esp the ones along he Antarctica coast line.
Or you could simply put a house down just about anywhere in Minnesota. It might be slightly warmer than the Antarctic ;)

Reaction Score
The ACC also has built-in rivalry games in Clemson-SCar & Tenn-Vandy. But let's be fair, Vandy sits in an international city that loves their music and professional teams as well, they will always be little brother to the Vols. Vandy is like Pitt or Minnesota, urban campuses that integrate with a much larger population that have passions and priorities beyond college loyalty - lately Miami has encountered this reality..
Vanderbilt is in the SEC, Tenn-Vandy is an SEC conference game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom