UCONN Huskies: Big Ten's What If | The Boneyard

UCONN Huskies: Big Ten's What If

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Drivel........in what universe is there any discernible gap between the academic standing of UCONN, Rutgers and Maryland.

Academics probably plays more of a role in the B1G than it does in any of the other P5. But, it had no impact in adding Rutgers over UCONN....none!

Academics has had virtually nothing to do with CR. Fr. Leahy's comments were complete, total and utter bulls**t.

Reaction Score
Oh the irony...

"I am a sophomore Broadcast Journalism major at University of Wisconsin Eau Claire and I write this blog to make sure you know what you are talking about when discussing sports."

Reaction Score
A remarkably stupid assertion: "Now, we all know the reason why they did not invite the Huskies... Academics."

The BUG invited the pair it did over UConn for 2 main reasons: TV markets and stadium size. Rutgers is in the NYC market and Maryland is in the DC market. UConn's stadium seats only 40,000 and it not even in the same town as the campus.

Reaction Score
Not following the part about UCONN's academics being an issue for the ACC. They invited Louisville after all.

http://snotap.blogspot.com/2014/04/uconn-huskies-big-tens-what-if.html?m=1

This person is clueless. Rutgers and Maryland are no academic marvels. And Randy Edsall who just got waxed badly by Marshall in Annapolis in their last game is not on the rise. Marshall. He does have Rutgers pegged pretty good. And the whole out east thing is the view from the midwest. I wouldn't want to be out anything.

He is correct that UConn would be a better choice than both for the Big Ten athletically. But the Big Ten is counting cable boxes, not adding championships or championship caliber teams.

Reaction Score
This person is clueless. .

I wonder if Stanford is thinking about a school's " academics " when they evaluate if a PAC 12 school should get an invite or not ? Did Stanford look at a league's " academics " when it decided to seek admittance themselves to the PAC- 10 years ago ? Did Vanderbilt decide to refuse their admittance to the SEC because of the " academics " at Mississippi State ? Does Northwestern, the school, care about its BIG partner, Michigan States " academics " , Duke at NC State and FSU ? Did the fine school of Virginia care a wit about the " academics" at Louisville ? Or for their part, did BC care about the " academics " at West Virginia when they voted " yes " for WVU 's admittance to the BE long ago ? One look around at the P5 Conferences, and common sense alone tells reasonably bright people that these leagues were not constructed around " Academics " at all. As such, I agree with you that this person is clueless. And anyone peddling the nonsense ( even over at BC ) that " Academics " of a school is a consideration that isn't trumped completely by financial factors, is being disengenous in my opinion and not helpful to advancing believable reasons as to why these schools and these leagues do what they do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This person is clueless. Rutgers and Maryland are no academic marvels. And Randy Edsall who just got waxed badly by Marshall in Annapolis in their last game is not on the rise. Marshall. He does have Rutgers pegged pretty good. And the whole out east thing is the view from the midwest. I wouldn't want to be out anything.

He is correct that UConn would be a better choice than both for the Big Ten athletically. But the Big Ten is counting cable boxes, not adding championships or championship caliber teams.

Your last sentence sums the issue. The BUG is the only conference that expands with weak athletics departments because they are in large tv markets, which means the BTN gets crammed onto local cable for the highest rates.

The BUG is quite happy with winning few national titles as long as it is rich and Meatchicken and Blohio State run the football part of the conference as they wish.

Reaction Score
Your last sentence sums the issue. The BUG is the only conference that expands with weak athletics departments because they are in large tv markets, which means the BTN gets crammed onto local cable for the highest rates.

The BUG is quite happy with winning few national titles as long as it is rich and Meatchicken and Blohio State run the football part of the conference as they wish.

I want to commend you on the courage you are demonstrating by insulting the Big Ten, Ohio State and Michigan on a UConn board. Sheer courage man.

You started another thread how UConn belongs in the ACC. You do realize you can help with that? Join the ACC as their 15th school in all sports. UConn will walk into the ACC as the 16th school right behind you on your red carpet.

Reaction Score

How would you know?

Reaction Score
For better or worse, the B1G angle is to only grasp for more income, and does not seem as concerned about producing a quality product. National Championships are so passé.

Reaction Score
I want to commend you on the courage you are demonstrating by insulting the Big Ten, Ohio State and Michigan on a UConn board. Sheer courage man.

You started another thread how UConn belongs in the ACC. You do realize you can help with that? Join the ACC as their 15th school in all sports. UConn will walk into the ACC as the 16th school right behind you on your red carpet.
Ding. Ding. Ding.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately, UConn will probably end up in the ACC. It will take too long for UConn to get AAU membership to gain a B1G invite, and an ACC invite would be the more likely scenario, as a long run in the AAC will be very detrimental to UConn's future as has been discussed in this blog forever. However, let's cheer up UConn fans. Realistically, if you look at P5 conference rankings in the next few years, I think the ACC will be ahead of the B1G overall in athletics. Academics matter not. The B1G will probably drop lower once they realize that the addition of RU will not bolster their presence in the Northeast, whereas the ACC probably noticed how the addition of UConn will control Maine to Miami, including NYC and Boston(which BC has failed to deliver) for them. I suspect the B1G will be too slow to act and lose out, as the first of the P5's who comes calling will probably get the date to the prom.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, UConn will probably end up in the ACC. It will take too long for UConn to get AAU membership to gain a B1G invite, and an ACC invite would be the more likely scenario, as a long run in the AAC will be very detrimental to UConn's future as has been discussed in this blog forever. However, let's cheer up UConn fans. Realistically, if you look at P5 conference rankings in the next few years, I think the ACC will be ahead of the B1G overall in athletics. Academics matter not. The B1G will probably drop lower once they realize that the addition of RU will not bolster their presence in the Northeast, whereas the ACC probably noticed how the addition of UConn will control Maine to Miami, including NYC and Boston(which BC has failed to deliver) for them. I suspect the B1G will be too slow to act and lose out, as the first of the P5's who comes calling will probably get the date to the prom.
Do you notice the sudden incredible desire of B1G fans to add UConn? As a #1 bookend addition, saying we'd conquer all of New England for them.

Want to smoke some weed? You suffer from PTSD.

Reaction Score
For better or worse, the B1G angle is to only grasp for more income, and does not seem as concerned about producing a quality product. National Championships are so passé.

It is a goal of the B1G to expand their media presence and increase the revenue to the conference and the addition of Maryland and Rutgers is intended to accomplish this goal. However, while I understand why the perception exists that the B1G thinks “winning national championships are so passé”, it is not the reality and increased media presence and revenue is not the “only” goal. The players and coaches of the teams within the B1G care about their athletic performance and want to win and are disappointed by a loss especially on the national stage. Delany, on behalf of the B1G, has acknowledged a similar sentiment when asked about the performance of B1G teams that were in pursuit of a national championship in football or men’s basketball and lost. The idea that the teams and leadership of the B1G do not care about winning national championships is incorrect.

I recognize that the B1G expansion with Maryland and Rutgers, neither a football brand and with Maryland the only one of the two with a history of basketball success, contributes to the perception. However, there was not nor is there a football brand available for the B1G to invite to the conference to improve their success in football on the national stage. Texas and Oklahoma are content in the Big 12 and under a GOR. FSU is content in the ACC and under a GOR. The football brands in the SEC and Pac 12 are entrenched within their respective conferences. The success of the B1G in football will depend upon whether Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska and the MSU team on an upward trajectory can begin to compete on the national stage. The addition of UConn to the B1G would clearly be beneficial to improve the success of the B1G in men’s basketball on the national stage. The question is whether the B1G is willing to further expand to make this happen and I think that will not be decided until after the integration of Maryland and Rutgers into the conference. There is no doubt that Delany is well aware of the success of UConn this year and the presence of their fans in MSG.

Reaction Score

It may very well be the case that UConn joins the ACC before the B1G and it certainly should if the ACC is the first of the two conferences to extend an invitation. However, my impression – although the ACC posters can correct me if I am wrong – is that the ACC will likely not pursue further expansion in the hopes that Notre Dame will eventually elect to join full time as the 15th school at which time a 16th school such as UConn would be added. What is the likelihood that Notre Dame will join the ACC full time? It is my impression - although the Notre Dame posters can correct me if I am wrong - that Notre Dame intends to remain independent in football for the forseeable future.

pj

Reaction Score
It may very well be the case that UConn joins the ACC before the B1G and it certainly should if the ACC is the first of the two conferences to extend an invitation. However, my impression – although the ACC posters can correct me if I am wrong – is that the ACC will likely not pursue further expansion in the hopes that Notre Dame will eventually elect to join full time as the 15th school at which time a 16th school such as UConn would be added. What is the likelihood that Notre Dame will join the ACC full time? It is my impression - although the Notre Dame posters can correct me if I am wrong - that Notre Dame intends to remain independent in football for the forseeable future.

I think the ACC situation is very similar to the B1G situation in regard to UConn. Both would have to go to 15 and likely wait 10-12 years for #16, unless there is a major shake-up. In the ACC the barrier to taking UConn is politics (south-v-north, football-v-bball, public-v-private), in the B1G it's AAU and football. Those obstacles make UConn arguably a marginal pickup for each. On the other hand, UConn must be key to the B1G's eastern strategy, and is surely a pivotal piece in conference vs conference competition for northeastern mindshare. I think if one of those conferences offers UConn, the other one will too. They have to ponder whether it makes sense to delay. I hope UConn keeps its cards close to the vest. Meanwhile, it has to work for an arrangement with the AAC in which it has major Tier 3 rights to sell, especially women's bball.

Reaction Score
A remarkably stupid assertion: "Now, we all know the reason why they did not invite the Huskies... Academics."

The BUG invited the pair it did over UConn for 2 main reasons: TV markets and stadium size. Rutgers is in the NYC market and Maryland is in the DC market. UConn's stadium seats only 40,000 and it not even in the same town as the campus.

Stadium size?

You have to be joking. Rutgers is at 50k. Stadium size can be addressed in 20 minutes. It's TV markets and AAU status.

Reaction Score
Do you notice the sudden incredible desire of B1G fans to add UConn? As a #1 bookend addition, saying we'd conquer all of New England for them.

Want to smoke some weed? You suffer from PTSD.
Yes. You are correct.

Reaction Score
Drivel...in what universe is there any discernible gap between the academic standing of UCONN, Rutgers and Maryland.

Academics probably plays more of a role in the B1G than it does in any of the other P5. But, it had no impact in adding Rutgers over UCONN....none!

Academics has had virtually nothing to do with CR. Fr. Leahy's comments were complete, total and utter bulls**t.
So if AAU status and academic research dollars had nothing to do with it then what did allow Rutgers to get in over UConn?

Reaction Score
Stadium size?

You have to be joking. Rutgers is at 50k. Stadium size can be addressed in 20 minutes. It's TV markets and AAU status.

It would seem that to sustain a market presence (and revenue structure) there would need to be more enthisiasm for the local team and the expectation of a competitive if not compelling (see UConn) product. Its hard to believe that the B1G expected to go it alone in the NY market on the strength of existing members alumni base almost exclusively. To that extent along with the embarrasing missteps of their new "addition", I do believe many are coming to terms with those aspects as a major miscalculation if not a total blunder. It's becoming obvious they picked the wrong school from the public's perspective which means something beyond cable boxes. I may watch every UConn game I can find, but the casual NY B1G alum/fan my not be all that excited to watch Rutgers play their team in any sport.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

No, no, no. The B1G > ACC in every measurable variable. UCONN in the B1G would make it the premier basketball conference with Indiana, MSU, Michigan, tOSU, Wisconsin, and Maryland every few years or so. Football in the B1G has much better tradition and much better pageantry than the ACC. We want to play against other like institutions. That means northern based large public flagships. Give Nebraska some time to settle in and you have football powerhouses from PA to NE. What do we have in common with Miami? Boatz and Boatright?

But I agree with you in that the ACC is the more aggressive conference and would probably invite first. At that point, I'd suspect our leaders will make one final quick (and very private) call to Delany before accepting an ACC invitation.

Reaction Score
B1G didn't do their research. They thought Rutgers was NYC's team.

Amazing how institutions of higher learning can make such uninformed decisions. Just like ACC thought BC and SU brought the Boston and NYC markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom