UConn Hopes To Leverage Wins | The Boneyard

UConn Hopes To Leverage Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So far, university plans include a road tour for coaches Geno Auriemma and Kevin Ollie down to Fairfield County — Connecticut's gold coast — to reach out to alumni and fans. "We are calling it the coaches road show," said Brian Otis, vice president for development at the Foundation.
Other plans are in the works. For instance, Newton said, he understands the New York Athletic Club will likely invite the two teams to an event. "So what do we do in New York to rally our athletic donors around that?" asked Newton.
The same question will be asked about the Washington, D.C., alumni when the teams visit President Obama.

http://www.courant.com/news/education/hc-uconn-championship-benefits-0413-20140413,0,7737686.story

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I have to say that they already failed on one aspect. Not one thing at the Spring game yesterday in regards to the Dual National Championships?!? Come on. I know the article is talking about donors. However, what drives the bus in realignment? Football. What do we constantly get slammed about? Attendance. What better way to draw in new fans or try and build a slight interest then join the basketball success with the football program? It was a free "game" and it would have been the best start to getting the public reengaged in the football program. The last 3 years were dreadful and really hurt the momentum the program had going for it. From what I've seen and heard, the only two people even at the Spring game were Breanna Stewart and Phil Nolan. They were there on their own accord. Why not do something to honor the team? I get that the parade is today, but so what?

To me this was a major ball drop by the University. It was free advertising for the football team and a way to get folks back into football. I know our basketball success has been top notch but just look at all these boards our B1G friends are posting to. What is the top complaint? Lack of stadium size and attendance. How do you increase that, besides winning? Get folks engaged now! How best to do that then to couple the bball success with the Spring game.

Big disappointment there.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I have to say that they already failed on one aspect. Not one thing at the Spring game yesterday in regards to the Dual National Championships?!? Come on. I know the article is talking about donors. However, what drives the bus in realignment? Football. What do we constantly get slammed about? Attendance. What better way to draw in new fans or try and build a slight interest then join the basketball success with the football program? It was a free "game" and it would have been the best start to getting the public reengaged in the football program. The last 3 years were dreadful and really hurt the momentum the program had going for it. From what I've seen and heard, the only two people even at the Spring game were Breanna Stewart and Phil Nolan. They were there on their own accord. Why not do something to honor the team? I get that the parade is today, but so what?

To me this was a major ball drop by the University. It was free advertising for the football team and a way to get folks back into football. I know our basketball success has been top notch but just look at all these boards our B1G friends are posting to. What is the top complaint? Lack of stadium size and attendance. How do you increase that, besides winning? Get folks engaged now! How best to do that then to couple the bball success with the Spring game.

Agree 100%. We even heard basketball audio highlights being played inside the stadium while were in the parking lot so I thought that they'd definitely have some sort of moment to acknowledge the dual championships. Then nothing. The only thing I saw in the stadium was a bunch of dual championship t-shirts. UCONN fans love t-shirts. They could have marketed some sort of on-field celebration and then encouraged people to buy season ticket packages by giving away a dual championship t-shirt. Or give away a t-shirt when you bought a certain number of tickets to Yankee Stadium.

I like that Diaco cancelled practice so that the team could be there for the pep rally for the women's team. It showed a university together. But a big problem is that the fans are often not together. For whatever reason, many UCONN fans are MBB fans only or WBB fans only or Football fans only. This needs to change ASAP. A great start would have been to have a celebration yesterday.

Reaction Score
From what I've seen and heard, the only two people even at the Spring game were Breanna Stewart and Phil Nolan. They were there on their own accord. .

Guessing you missed the WBB autograph table?

UConn-Football-2014-Spring-Football-009.jpg

Not sure what the scoop was w/ the MBB not doing the same.

Reaction Score

The womens team was there except for Dolson and Hartley signing posters until the game started with the trophy.

Reaction Score
Did they announce that women would be at the game ? I did not hear anything.

Reaction Score
Did they announce that women would be at the game ? I did not hear anything.

I saw it on UConn site, in Courant and on Twitter/Facebook, etc...

http://articles.courant.com/2014-04...0411_1_diaco-four-new-players-basketball-team

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041114aaa.html

Could they have done more for cross promotion - I guess, but there must have been a reason why WBB was there and not MBB. Their absence may have been the proverbial fly in the ointment for more "celebration" @ football game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There were a fair amount of vehicles that I had to move my tailgate set up for as they were leaving after getting autographs from the Women's Team. Unless they had that table set up after the game...my assumption is that you would nit really capture that fan base to watch the game. Maybe the men's team would have though.

Reaction Score
I guess that apart from it being all over social media and in the states biggest newspaper, the school didn't do a good job communicating that the women's team would be at the game signing autographs. Damn you UConn.

Reaction Score
There were a fair amount of vehicles that I had to move my tailgate set up for as they were leaving after getting autographs from the Women's Team. Unless they had that table set up after the game...my assumption is that you would nit really capture that fan base to watch the game. Maybe the men's team would have though.

Denny's afternoon special ends at 4:00 PM. Just sayin'....;)

Reaction Score
Just a random thought: UConn isn't the only one with poor promotion of the spring game. I didn't hear about IU's spring game this weekend until THURSDAY on the local radio station. At least the stadium is on campus, but when I drove by, it didn't seem like it was very populated at all.

EDIT: Nothing in the form of TV or on campus advertising at least from what I saw. I don't get out much outside of the music building...but still...I thought I would have seen/heard something before Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom