Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
2016 is probably Cox
2017 is probably Walker
2018 no idea...yet.
I have no idea either. But Blue Star has Katlyn Gilbert, 5'11" G from Heritage Christian, Indianapolis, IN as their #1 ranked player. That's the same school as Kelly Faris and from the class of 2016, PG Tyasha Harris.

Reaction Score
There are other teams that have had really good recruiting runs - TN, Duke, ND, SC to name a few, but where they probably fall a little short of Uconn is in that consistent flow of exceptional talent. And Uconn had a little dry spell as well in the middle of the last decade After DT, the only player until Tina that qualifies based on HS rank is Ann Strother until Tina committed. Uconn was still getting that second pool of players, just not the very top end talent.
It's all about landing TOP players.

I agree with Lobo, that another coach probably doesn't win 10 NC, but theres no denying he gets the best talent out of high school. There are players who don't live up to their HS rankings (Strother and Houston). Strother was rated #1, Houston was definitely Top 5 by most. I remember Houston being rated ahead of Wiggins and Wiggins was Top 10. Lately, when they win, UConn has multiple Top 5 kids (usually Top 3, and at least a kid rated #1) to go along with a few other Top 10-Top 20 players.

If you look at UConn's strongest opponents during the last few years...

ND has Turner (rated #1 to 5), Loyd was Top 5, Reimer was Top 5, Allen and Mabrey were probably Top 25 kids. Skylar was a Top 3, McBride as Top 20. Peters was Top 20.

Baylor, Griner was #1 and Sims was #2-3. Aside from that, they had a lot of Top 20-30 kids, but I don't think anyone was Top 10.

Stanford a few years back had Chiney #1, Appel, and Nneka were Top 5, and Pedersen and Tinkle were Top 10. Pohlen was rated low by most services, but was a McD AA.

Reaction Score
This past August, before Championship #10, Geno Auriemma said the following:

- "There's two kind of coaches in the world- Those that coach great players and ex-coaches."
- "If you want to do this for a long time, you have to get great players, or to turn good into great."

I don't think it's really a question of whether or not Geno gets great players, year in and year out. He does. But so have the coaches at Duke, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Baylor, UNCheat, and several others. Year after year. The difference between UConn and all the rest lies in the difference between what Geno is able to do with talent and what all the other top schools and top coaches do with theirs. It is Geno Auriemma who has the uncanny ability to turn good into great and great into greater. And that has made all the difference in the world.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have no idea either. But Blue Star has Katlyn Gilbert, 5'11" G from Heritage Christian, Indianapolis, IN as their #1 ranked player. That's the same school as Kelly Faris and from the class of 2016, PG Tyasha Harris.
Hadn't heard of her, but that will be a name to keep an eye on.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Question--it may have been answered already ---I thought Shea and Marissa went out (maybe a few times) to look over "candidates", then maybe Christine Dailey then the closer Geno, who too may smooze them by view them a few times. Is this close to correct????
That's basically how it works. There are times when there may be important high school games or AAU tourneys at the same time so that everyone is on the road but, yeah, assistant coaches pretty much do the legwork early on.

That's one reason why schools that care about their womens teams have an advantage. If a school gives its womens hoops program a limited recruiting budget, they may have to stick to driving to local competitions rather than flying the entire coaching team out to major tourneys. How can, say, Providence hope to land a Tori McCoy if she doesn't play in the Northeast and they can't fly out to her make their presence known?

The more highly recruited kids will also see college coaches at their high school games during the year. A Providence can't afford to fly out to Illinois 4-5 times to maintain a presence. It's a shame.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Apparently, UConn gets all the best recruits and, hence, can't even be considered a true dynasty. The "Lady Huskies" get all the talented 6' girls. No really, I just read it.

Behold.....

http://www.dailylocal.com/sports/20150411/are-uconn-ladies-really-a-dynasty-of-epic-proportions

WOW - does the man have a clue! He seems to not know anything about WCBB, but also shows complete ignorance about every other sport he is 'comparing it to'. Yankees - just how many HOF players were on those teams compared to the average on their competitors? Celtics ... same. UCLA - the best MCBB team money could buy. Canadians - hello, Oilers - hello. Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom