UConn Field Hockey in National Championship Game | The Boneyard

UConn Field Hockey in National Championship Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Wonderful victory! and onward for a repeat!

Used to play field hockey years ago

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's great for them. I think they are the 3 or 4 seed. They will not be favored in the NC game, but surely they were over Albany who was a 12 seed I think...

Reaction Score
Congrats to Nancy Stevens and the Husky women, who have the opportunity to repeat as national champions. A tremendous program with a tremendous coach who ranks up there in success with some of her better known colleagues.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That's great for them. I think they are the 3 or 4 seed. They will not be favored in the NC game, but surely they were over Albany who was a 12 seed I think...
Not a 3 seed but ranked #3 nationally while Syracuse is ranked #4. (field hockey poll) UConn field hockey has been a national powerhouse nationally for decades.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Nan - poll and seed both, if I understand it correctly. UConn should be favored.

OTH, in women's soccer, UConn bowed out tonight in the 2nd round to Penn State. I'm not rubbing anything in - both Rutgers and Arizona also bowed out of the tourney today, I was looking them up and noticed UConn losing as well. The only redeeming feature that I can see is ASU also lost.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan - poll and seed both, if I understand it correctly. UConn should be favored.

OTH, in women's soccer, UConn bowed out tonight in the 2nd round to Penn State. I'm not rubbing anything in - both Rutgers and Arizona also bowed out of the tourney today, I was looking them up and noticed UConn losing as well. The only redeeming feature that I can see is ASU also lost.
You're right - I forgot the seeding is funky in field hockey. field hockey bracket

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
On the NCAA website, dated November 10, 2014, that lists field hockey rankings, UConn is listed as a member of the Big East. Is it possible that for some of the minor sports the Huskies retain the old conference ties? They have the Cuse in the ACC.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
On the NCAA website, dated November 10, 2014, that lists field hockey rankings, UConn is listed as a member of the Big East. Is it possible that for some of the minor sports the Huskies retain the old conference ties? They have the Cuse in the ACC.
That's correct. The American doesn't sponsor field hockey.

Reaction Score
cabbie191 said:

Yes. For field hockey UConn is still in the BE. Men's ice hockey is in Hockey East.

If the conference for the money sports doesn't have enough schools participating in a certain sport, those sports teams get a home in another conference.

Reaction Score

UConn is also in the Big East for women's lacrosse.

Reaction Score
UCONN WINS 1-0, second consecutive NC for Nancy Stevens' team. Chloe Hunnable, Anna Mittendorf star. Also our goalie (whose name escapes) rocks.

Reaction Score
Yay! Nerve wracking finish as Syracuse had a corner with 20 seconds left but UConn cleared.

Reaction Score
UConn supposedly has a lot of underclassmen, so the announcers were saying they should be good next year as well.

Reaction Score
Took Nancy Stevens 30+ years to win her first title than she goes back to back!

And with all those freshman and sophomores on the roster they will be back for more!

Reaction Score
How wonderful.............CONGRATS UCONN Field Hockey...THE BEST and THE BEAST of the US...........

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wondering how UConn handles scholarships for the Field Hockey team. Are most on partial or full scholarships?

Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 said:
Wondering how UConn handles scholarships for the Field Hockey team. Are most on partial or full scholarships?

NCAA Scholarship limit is 12, so there is probably a mixture. You can throw a full scholarship at the studs you really want (say six or seven) and then split the other ones up (say 10 on half-scholarships, just as a rough figure). It becomes creative with how you package kids - you try to get them academic money or financial aid relief for the part that the athletic scholarship doesn't cover. Also if you can find some good in state kids who pay their own way and can be quality role players/depth, it allows you to use more full scholarship offers.

Reaction Score
NCAA Scholarship limit is 12, so there is probably a mixture.

I wonder why the scholly limit is so low? Most schools seem to struggle to offer enough women scholarships to balance all the FB schollies. Though then again I guess if you allow too many, it allows the few good schools to stockpile even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom