UConn fans should stop pretending we have a shot at the Big 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn fans should stop pretending we have a shot at the Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think uconn offers more from tv or future network conference perspective. The Big 12 is not suffering from FB perception problem at all. If it was Texas and Oklahoma instead of Baylor and TCU I think they get a team. Right now, they're looking at a conference championship game. Those other schools may,offer better FB programs, but come on in a disastrous year we managed to beat UCF. There is,not a single FB program in the G5 that is going to alter a FB conference's perception. None.

I know it's a long shot. But after this move, we may be permanently cooked outside the P5, and that is not where we want to be. We're playing conference games against teams,from Texas and Oklahoma already. They're just the wrong ones.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
As I've said before, the Big XII has no need for UConn whatsoever. That is reality. The only hope for the Big XII calling us is that it realizes that we add so much value to either the Big Ten or the ACC in the Northeast, that they take us to keep the NY market competitive for everyone, and they get their toe in it (as they did in DC with WVU).

Whether anyone in the Big XII is farsighted enough to see that beats me. Boren may be smart enough to see that.
Did you just use "Big XII" and "farsighted" in a sentence?

Reaction Score
The B12 needs a football brand more above all else. The impetus for B12 expansion is football and access to the CFP. Maybe UCF, Cincy and Memphis are not ideal fits but they have had football programs for a longer time, have had more recent success while UConn's been down (thanks to PP), and are closer geographically. Oh and I forgot to mention football recruiting territory - which is what the B12 football coaches will care about. UConn has strengths in other areas but these are not the strengths the B12 schools are interested in. If you think anyone can convince the B12 they should care less about those football-centric factors, especially recruiting territory, and care more about UConn being a public, or being a research school, or a good basketball school, well, you're much more optimistic than me.

I don't disagree with anyone here who says that we don't belong or will not get invited to the Big 12. My argument is simply that expanding with a directional state school or second tier, regional state school that is located in a second tier city is simply not a smart move for the Big 12 and there is a reason it hasn't been done to date.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We don't fit in the Big 12 athletically, we don't fit in the Big 12 academically, we are probably the worst fit for the B12 geographically of any candidate, and they are not interested in what UConn has to offer. That does not mean UConn isn't a great school with a successful athletic department, nor does it mean that the path to a P5 berth is closed forever. It just means we have to stop lying to ourselves that we need to get in the Big 12, and continue to support UConn's teams with the knowledge that it will be a long haul to the ACC or Big Ten.

You are delusional if you think the UConn BoT has any interest in throwing $10 million a year in subsidies down the toilet for 10 years in the hope UConn will get an invitation to a P5 conference in the distant future. Herbst loves spending money on academics, and i do not see any way that the state doesn't reduce support for the school given the financial condition of the state. There is no way to fund the athletic program out of the school, so they better come up with another source, quickly, or there will be severe cutbacks to it.

Your position that the school should just keep shoveling cash at the athletic department because you like going to football games is ridiculous, and not one that will be shared for long by the Administration.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
You are delusional if you think the UConn BoT has any interest in throwing $10 million a year in subsidies down the toilet for 10 years in the hope UConn will get an invitation to a P5 conference in the distant future. Herbst loves spending money on academics, and i do not see any way that the state doesn't reduce support for the school given the financial condition of the state. There is no way to fund the athletic program out of the school, so they better come up with another source, quickly, or there will be severe cutbacks to it.

Your position that the school should just keep shoveling cash at the athletic department because you like going to football games is ridiculous, and not one that will be shared for long by the Administration.
College sports is a pretty ridiculous thing. UConn won't downgrade to the NESCAC, not for as long as they can do anything about it and ESPN or somebody will pay at least a subsistence to compete in a D1 conference.

Reaction Score
5-10 years seems to be a perfect timeline for many schools and athletic departments to continue to develop. I hope I die after we get out of the AAC.

Reaction Score
There will likely be a showdown between the state and UConn before anything drastic happens to UConn athletics.

The two will engage in a game of chicken. I say this because the deals with UConn football in Hartford and UConn hockey/basketball, etc., just seem to have Malloy's name on them. There are political interests in the state who are very interested in UConn sports. At some point, when the cost becomes unbearable, the UConn President, whoever it is, will have one last card to play. And that will be a direct sports fund for athletics subsidized by the state. It won't go down that way, but the mere threat of it may sharpen minds about all the cuts UConn is presently enduring.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
While I think UConn is a better fit for the B1G (and are working on improving its B1G profile), this thread is nuts. If UConn's administrators/leaders aren't trying to sell the B12 of the importance of having huge markets and year-round content (read: hoops) to a TV/Media contract and are, instead, waiting on an invite from the B1G/ACC that may or may not come in the next 5-10 years, they should all be removed immediately. No, UConn is not the best of fits for the B12 from a culture standpoint and the travel sucks (as it does in the AAC), but a power conference is a power conference and we need to find one ASAP.

UConn. BYU. These are the two biggest brands and revenue generators outside of the P5 conferences and it's not even close. If BYU is able to get in to the B12 and they have the same travel issue as UConn does for their members, then there will be absolutely zero excuse for UConn. I know UConn has spent the past few years positioning itself for a B1G invite, but if the B1G isn't going to expand for 5-10 years (and who knows if they will expand), we need to get ourselves out of AAC purgatory ASAP. We'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

There will be a TON of damage control needed if the B12 expands with BYU and Memphis. BYU is the same distance from B12 members as UConn is and Memphis is Memphis. And if UConn administrators/leaders are holding their noses up at the B12 and aren't going all in for an invite, then we need a new direction.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
While I think UConn is a better fit for the B1G (and are working on improving its B1G profile), this thread is nuts. If UConn's administrators/leaders aren't trying to sell the B12 of the importance of having huge markets and year-round content (read: hoops) to a TV/Media contract and are, instead, waiting on an invite from the B1G/ACC that may or may not come in the next 5-10 years, they should all be removed immediately. No, UConn is not the best of fits for the B12 from a culture standpoint and the travel sucks (as it does in the AAC), but a power conference is a power conference and we need to find one ASAP.

UConn. BYU. These are the two biggest brands and revenue generators outside of the P5 conferences and it's not even close. If BYU is able to get in to the B12 and they have the same travel issue as UConn does for their members, then there will be absolutely zero excuse for UConn. I know UConn has spent the past few years positioning itself for a B1G invite, but if the B1G isn't going to expand for 5-10 years (and who knows if they will expand), we need to get ourselves out of AAC purgatory ASAP. We'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

There will be a TON of damage control needed if the B12 expands with BYU and Memphis. BYU is the same distance from B12 members as UConn is and Memphis is Memphis. And if UConn administrators/leaders are holding their noses up at the B12 and aren't going all in for an invite, then we need a new direction.
You don't think there will be as much damage control if the B12 takes a school coming off a 2 win year with relatively little recruiting grounds to offer? B12 fans aren't going to be swayed by basketball and markets. UConn needs to think strategy, not tactics.

Reaction Score
Well, hearing @Dooley say that Provo is just as far away from the BXII as Storrs, I needed to refresh my geography perspectives. A few things I learned.
1. The B12 is almost as much a frankenconference as the AAC (albeit with a MUCH better pedigree. WV just doesn't fit and Iowa St is not contiguous.
2. UCONN is a bit farther away than BYU, but not too much. And BYU is still not in the same geographical region.
3. Memphis and Cincinnati make the most sense geographically, b/c they help to tie in WV. Air Force and Colorado St also make sense from a geography standpoint.
4. I still want them to invite UCONN!

Big12map.jpg

Dooley

Reaction Score
You don't think there will be as much damage control if the B12 takes a school coming off a 2 win year with relatively little recruiting grounds to offer? B12 fans aren't going to be swayed by basketball and markets. UConn needs to think strategy, not tactics.

Sorry, I meant our own internal (UConn) damage control. The Nelson's of the world would use another snub as more ammo to cut sports and, unfortunately, the more we're passed over, the more ears they will get and the more sense their arguments will begin to make.

I couldn't care less about B12 damage control. I'm completely confident that we would bring value to any power conference and also be competitive in football. We were already competitive in a BCS conference - no less competitive than Louisville, Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers, etc in the Big East.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Sorry, I meant our own internal (UConn) damage control. The Nelson's of the world would use another snub as more ammo to cut sports and, unfortunately, the more we're passed over, the more ears they will get and the more sense their arguments will begin to make.

I couldn't care less about B12 damage control. I'm completely confident that we would bring value to any power conference and also be competitive in football. We were already competitive in a BCS conference - no less competitive than Louisville, Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers, etc in the Big East.
I'm also confident we would be competitive in football in a P5. But I think UConn fans are underestimating how much weight recruiting grounds would factor in the BXII's decision process. That's why I think Memphis, UCF, even Cincy have a leg up, and there is no direct counterargument, unfortunately. It's less of a factor for other conferences. Now if they BXII waits a few years instead of expanding immediately, the weighting could change especially if the BXII wins a couple CFP championships.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Well, hearing @Dooley say that Provo is just as far away from the BXII as Storrs, I needed to refresh my geography perspectives. A few things I learned.
1. The B12 is almost as much a frankenconference as the AAC (albeit with a MUCH better pedigree. WV just doesn't fit and Iowa St is not contiguous.
2. UCONN is a bit farther away than BYU, but not too much. And BYU is still not in the same geographical region.
3. Memphis and Cincinnati make the most sense geographically, b/c they help to tie in WV. Air Force and Colorado St also make sense from a geography standpoint.
4. I still want them to invite UCONN!

Big12map.jpg

Yup. If the B12 was really interested in its long term growth potential (and securing its place as a power conference), they would scrap this idea of adding the bare minimum and think about adding the top 4-6 schools available right now. BYU and UConn for market strength and brand value for TV. Cincinnati and UCF for football strength and recruiting territories. Houston to appease Texas long-term. Colorado St to gain re-access into CO markets. First conference to 16. Bam. Now the ACC can only hope for Notre Dame to shift from part to full time (not happening) and have to look at Memphis, USF, SMU, Temple types if they wanted to expand. None of what would be left appeals whatsoever to a potential ACCN, except for Hail Mary ND play. What would be more likely to happen is that the ACC will be poached by the B1G and SEC down the road by its inability to expand and create an ACCN, thus locking the B12 in as a long term power conference.

But, unfortunately, I have zero confidence in B12 leadership thinking intelligently and long-term.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'm also confident we would be competitive in football in a P5. But I think UConn fans are underestimating how much weight recruiting grounds would factor in the BXII's decision process. That's why I think Memphis, UCF, even Cincy have a leg up, and there is no direct counterargument, unfortunately. It's less of a factor for other conferences. Now if they BXII waits a few years instead of expanding immediately, the weighting could change especially if the BXII wins a couple CFP championships.

Memphis shouldn't have a leg up over UConn in anything. TN recruiting is dominated by the SEC and ACC. Memphis football has an identical lifetime record as UConn so their recruiting advantage has clearly never been realized. Memphis brings nothing of value - which means they are probably going to be invited. First rule of CR: the kick to the UConn fan's nutz has to be swift and painful.

Reaction Score

We get it. You've never sold anything before. Don't you see any value in what UConn offers? The Big12 has at least as many concerns with what the other schools offer and there are plenty of counterarguments.

Reaction Score
Memphis shouldn't have a leg up over UConn in anything. TN recruiting is dominated by the SEC and ACC. Memphis football has an identical lifetime record as UConn so their recruiting advantage has clearly never been realized. Memphis brings nothing of value - which means they are probably going to be invited. First rule of CR: the kick to the UConn fan's nutz has to be swift and painful.

Certainly, right now P5 quality players in Shelby County (Memphis) really only hear about and consider SEC teams - but if the Big 12 actually played games in Memphis I seriously doubt that the SEC would continue to dominate as it has. Why? Big 12 teams would now get coverage in the local TV, the local paper, local sports radio, and prospects could actually watch Big 12 games at the Liberty Bowl (which already a Big 12 contract). The Big 12 teams would become familiar to the local players and Big 12 coaches could promise actual games in the home city. Right now the SEC gets more players from Shelby County than any other county in the nation. It's rich recruiting ground. I doubt, as some seem to suggest, that Memphis recruiting would a non-factor in the Big 12 decision making process if it gets this far.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think they are going to expand, but if they do - I don't see how it isn't two of three between Memphis, UCF and Cincinnati. With football recruiting grounds being the number one criteria used.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BYU, UConn and Cincinnati are light years ahead of the other choices. It will be two of those three. The rest of the choices are commuter schools with limited fan potential and no national interest.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
BYU, UConn and Cincinnati are light years ahead of the other choices. It will be two of those three. The rest of the choices are commuter schools with limited fan potential and no national interest.

Sure that stance allows you to bash everyone at UConn... it isn't close to reality but that's cool.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We get it. You've never sold anything before. Don't you see any value in what UConn offers? The Big12 has at least as many concerns with what the other schools offer and there are plenty of counterarguments.

If only they would turn it over to message board posters with sales experience UConn wouldn't be entering their third AAC season.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I do, and I see which conferences align better with what UConn has to offer and which ones don't.

Reaction Score
I don't think they are going to expand, but if they do - I don't see how it isn't two of three between Memphis, UCF and Cincinnati. With football recruiting grounds being the number one criteria used.
There is too much smoke here. The question is when.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Different conferences have different priorities. Plus first rule of CR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom