UConn, Duke to play at the Meadowlands | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn, Duke to play at the Meadowlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Let's keep it real people. We've been outdrawn by other schools in most of our non-postseason games in NYC. NCState, Maryland, Indiana, UK, etc.

Our fanbase is nowhere as rabid as it was in the 90's.
most of those games were played when UCONN was going through a great deal of turmoil with APR, coaching change, etc. It will be interesting to see if the revitalization of the fan base that's seemed to have occured with the recent title will result in larger UCONN representation next year.

Reaction Score
Let's keep it real people. We've been outdrawn by other schools in most of our non-postseason games in NYC. NCState, Maryland, Indiana, UK, etc.

Our fanbase is nowhere as rabid as it was in the 90's.
Totally agree with you. People gotta start going to these games.

U

UCONNfan1

I'm there. The OOC slate this year will be excellent. Brimah is going to destroy Jahlil.
Hopefully his shoulder issue is cleared up. Is he getting surgery? This may be covered elsewhere so apologies if i missed it...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
K has always been sentimental towards the Meadowlands because they built their program there advancing to their first 4 Final Fours out of the Meadowlands so they try to play there often especially with a large NJ alumni base.
Amazingly, Duke is 20-1 in games played at the Izod Center. Time to make it 20-2.

Reaction Score
Worst venue in the area plus I believe no cocktails in NJ at college games. Is that still the law?

Reaction Score
Is the Boneyard the only place that can take playing a major national opponent in a nationally televised game, a short driving distance from most of its fans and turn it in to a negative because its not being played in an arena 16 miles from where the game was scheduled or do all fan bases look for the negative in awesome things?
It really is unbelievable. As you mentioned in that other thread, this board is such a shell of its former greatness. I guess that's the price of insane success. Just a huge percentage of entitled, whiny, clueless idiots.

I'm so sorry that your solid gold shoes are too tight.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
7774 said:
It really is unbelievable. As you mentioned in that other thread, this board is such a shell of its former greatness. I guess that's the price of insane success. Just a huge percentage of entitled, whiny, clueless idiots. I'm so sorry that your solid gold shoes are too tight.

Connecticut fans ( not the hardcores here, but after reading some posts in this thread, yeah some here too) are notorious front runners.
You want to be in the B1G? Put your money where your mouth is. Fill home games, no matter who they are playing. Stop bitching about Nj and be thankful we have high profile games within a couple hours drive, no matter where. It's not MSG, s f'in what?

Our turnout in buffalo was so weak. Other schools don't balk at a 6 hour drive to see their team in the tourney.
Win a title, everyone is a diehard. Let's see how that translates to a cupcake game at HCC in December.

Fan Support via generating revenue is a huge factor in CR. We CAN actually make a difference. So stop bitching and do it.
You want to make a statement to the B1G and ACC? Fill Brendan Byrne arena with Uconn fans in Rutgers backyard in a state that Duke OWNS.
That will make a bigger statement than anything that happens on the court.

I hate college football but my family has season tix.

It's time for Uconn fans to put up or shut up when it comes to CR. 8000 people at XL and crappy travel to important games continues and we have no right to squawk anymore.

Support the program. Football, Men's and women's hoops, all of it. It's now or never.

Reaction Score
What are the tournament venues? Shashitski only plays in future tourney arenas, God forbid he ventures onto another's campus.

Reaction Score
2 big time programs and now rivals are playing. With our conference situation just having the game means more to us and I am happy to add it no matter where they play it. Anyone who KO recruits against will try to use our schedule against us so I am happy just adding this one.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Is the Boneyard the only place that can take playing a major national opponent in a nationally televised game, a short driving distance from most of its fans and turn it in to a negative because its not being played in an arena 16 miles from where the game was scheduled or do all fan bases look for the negative in awesome things?

Elite program problems.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I dont think its Rutgers backyard . I think Rutgers backyard is a mile square sorrounding New Brunswick. No one cares about Rutgers MBB in NJ. I would probably give it to Seton Hall over Rutgers any day

No, there's also about an acre and a half in Piscataway......

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The high horse crowd needs to STFU.

Nobody is saying it isn't awesome to play Duke. Find one person that is even hinting at that.

The initial story mentioned MSG, which would've been awesome.

Considering MSG is the mecca and speaks for itself, Barclays is a brand new NBA arena in Brooklyn, Pru Center is a brand new former NBA/ current NHL arena and easily accessible by car or train and we got The izod center which is an old abandoned arena in the middle of nowhere, I think people are just in saying the game is awesome but out of the 4 NYC/NNJ arenas - izod is by far the worse and least accessible.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
The high horse crowd needs to STFU. Nobody is saying it isn't awesome to play Duke. Find one person that is even hinting at that. The initial story mentioned MSG, which would've been awesome. Considering MSG is the mecca and speaks for itself, Barclays is a brand new NBA arena in Brooklyn, Pru Center is a brand new former NBA/ current NHL arena and easily accessible by car or train and we got The izod center which is an old abandoned arena in the middle of nowhere, I think people are just in saying the game is awesome but out of the 4 NYC/NNJ arenas - izod is by far the worse and least accessible.

Meh, you could play the game in the stables at the horse track next door. So what. It's good for the program.
Oooh.... We might not be able to get bottle service at our club seats.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How is pointing the fact that Boneyarders can find a reason to complain about anything akin to being on a "high horse". Its simply stating a fact. And, STFU? A little strong don't ya think? Or, maybe im just on my high horse again?

So I'm a bad guy for saying MSG isn't Izod and it's a lot harder to get to?

That's a fact, not a complaint. So I guess we're even.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
So I'm a bad guy for saying MSG isn't Izod and it's a lot harder to get to?

That's a fact, not a complaint. So I guess we're even.
No, you're a typical boneyarder.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No, you're a typical boneyarder.

You live in California presumably, right? So chances are you're not going to the game.

I work in midtown next to MSG. I live in Brooklyn walking distance to Barclays. The PATH train or NJ Transit will take me right to Pru Center.

These are three easier buildings to get to, aside from the fact they are great modern arenas.

I love that we're playing duke, but initially it said MSG so maybe you can see how I'd be slightly disappointed at the location.

Reaction Score
Wait, wasn't the 1990 regional at the Meadowlands when Chrissy Laettner broke our hearts? That should add to the drama. Revenge!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You live in California presumably, right? So chances are you're not going to the game.

I work in midtown next to MSG. I live in Brooklyn walking distance to Barclays. The PATH train or NJ Transit will take me right to Pru Center.

These are three easier buildings to get to, aside from the fact they are great modern arenas.

I love that we're playing duke, but initially it said MSG so maybe you can see how I'd be slightly disappointed at the location.
Actually, I will be there. I'll fly in to JFK and stay in Brooklyn. I'll drive to the game and all the while be happy as a pig in slop that I'm going to see Uconn play Duke. Just like I was happy flying to Maui on 3 ocassions, and to 4 of our final fours, 8 different regionals, a ton of games in Gampel and XL one game at Stanford, bowl games in phx and Charlotte, womens games at uop, Pepperdine and Stanford and to the tourney in Puerto Rico next November. Now that I think about it, getting to Izod really is an inconvenience from midtown. That 15 miles is a bitch.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Actually, I will be there. I'll fly in to JFK and stay in Brooklyn. I'll drive to the game and all the while be happy as a pig in slop that I'm going to see Uconn play Duke. Just like I was happy flying to Maui on 3 ocassions, and to 4 of our final fours, 8 different regionals, a ton of games in Gampel and XL one game at Stanford, bowl games in phx and Charlotte, womens games at uop, Pepperdine and Stanford and to the tourney in Puerto Rico next November. Now that I think about it, getting to Izod really is an inconvenience from midtown. That 15 miles is a bitch.

Not even hating on ConnHuskBask, but that was such a wine-and-cheese crowd post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom