UConn, Duke to play at the Meadowlands | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn, Duke to play at the Meadowlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not much difference between NYC and the Meadowlands in my mind. It's right across the river and it's probably easier to drive. If there is not a UConn football home game, I'll probably go after some tickets.

Yeah. One's only the world's most famous arena, the other is a run down abandoned arena in a swamp in NJ.

Great game but get real on the location.

Reaction Score
What a slap in the face for Rutgers. Two teams from two different conferences in their back yard. And I'm sure it's gonna be a good time slot nationally televised.

This will be a Saturday afternoon, CBS game in all likelihood. Maybe as a lead in to Army/Navy?

Reaction Score
Izod is the worst venue in the NYC area. Would have preferred Prudential - maybe Seton Hall did not agree to it.

Reaction Score
Two 4 time national champions, this game will be hyped big time. As KO goes after some big recruits this type of game is helpful with our conference situation. It's the OOC we need but would like Daniels and Boat to be there for it.

Reaction Score
The loss there during the dream season will be avenged. That's the only good thing to come of playing here. I was at that game as a then Freshman and remember Bobby Hurley fighting some sort of stomach bug and we rode him the whole game as he ran off to take bathroom breaks.

Reaction Score
Great d header--- 2PM at Pinstripe Bowl Uconn vs BCU 7 pm Uconn Duke. :) Make it happen Coach Diaco.!!!!!!!!!!!:)

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
If UConn really wants to show its dominance in the North East, this is the game to do it. In RU territory, a relatively easy train ride from Manhattan, going up against an ACC team whose fan base travels pretty well....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why the Meadowlands? It's so much easier to drive to Milford and taking the train into the city to go to MSG or Barclays than to drive down to NJ... ugh.

I mean not that there aren't public transportation options, but it's still a much bigger hassle... and it's NJ.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Just an odd venue. You have to think Duke said no to Barclay's and MSG before deciding on Meadowlands.

Reaction Score
I was at the 09-10 game at MSG game and Duke outdrew us I believe so we can stop with the Duke is afraid to play us at MSG narrative.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Perhaps MSG wasn't available. Heaven forbid we step out of our comfort zones. The Meadowlands is a relatively short drive...and now UConn can prove to the Big Ten that it owns the entire NYC DMA and not just Manhattan North. Silver linings, People.
Yeah. One's only the world's most famous arena, the other is a run down abandoned arena in a swamp in NJ.

Great game but get real on the location.

Why the Meadowlands? It's so much easier to drive to Milford and taking the train into the city to go to MSG or Barclays than to drive down to NJ... ugh.

I mean not that there aren't public transportation options, but it's still a much bigger hassle... and it's NJ.

Reaction Score
walker11 said:
I was at the 09-10 game at MSG game and Duke outdrew us I believe so we can stop with the Duke is afraid to play us at MSG narrative.
I was there in 2010 and duke did not outdraw Uconn. It was 60-40 Uconn id say. Duke fans were louder cause it was a blowout 10 min in.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I thought Meadowlands was an open air football stadium?
It's the area. I imagine the're talking about the Prudential Center where the Devils (and once, the Nets) play.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Perhaps MSG wasn't available. Heaven forbid we step out of our comfort zones. The Meadowlands is a relatively short drive...and now UConn can prove to the Big Ten that it owns the entire NYC DMA and not just Manhattan North. Silver linings, People.

It's great game and still accessible for our fans. I'm just commenting on how you said it's not a big difference to you between meadow lands and the garden. To me, it's a huge difference

Reaction Score
As someone that can drive to this game in 2o minutes I'm still not pleased. It's the worst venue in the area. My preference order would've been MSG, Prudential, Barclays (only because it's easier for me to get to Pru), Izod. They barely use the Izod outside of concerts and things like Disney events. I'll be there, but there are a dearth of places to go before and after.

For those that don't want to drive, especially if you are in NYC, you can take a train from Penn Station to Secaucus and there is now a train that goes from there to the Meadowlands. I don't know if they run it for events like this, but it's available for football games.

Reaction Score
I was there in 2010 and duke did not outdraw Uconn. It was 60-40 Uconn id say. Duke fans were louder cause it was a blowout 10 min in.

Maybe that's my recollection. I was pretty sauced. I mainly remember Stan's windmill.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I was talking about accessibility. The arena is basically the Civic Center, but it is located only a few miles (as the crow flies) from west 31st and 7th Ave. Same market, potentially better accessability.
It's great game and still accessible for our fans. I'm just commenting on how you said it's not a big difference to you between meadow lands and the garden. To me, it's a huge difference

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Is the Boneyard the only place that can take playing a major national opponent in a nationally televised game, a short driving distance from most of its fans and turn it in to a negative because its not being played in an arena 16 miles from where the game was scheduled or do all fan bases look for the negative in awesome things?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
K has always been sentimental towards the Meadowlands because they built their program there advancing to their first 4 Final Fours out of the Meadowlands so they try to play there often especially with a large NJ alumni base.

Reaction Score
Let's keep it real people. We've been outdrawn by other schools in most of our non-postseason games in NYC. NCState, Maryland, Indiana, UK, etc.

Our fanbase is nowhere as rabid as it was in the 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom