Uconn Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My guesses at this point for starters would be Kay, Zapata, and Nepiarsky on the weekends, with Rossomando the first weekday starter and Montgomerie the second. I'm also interested to see what role Domnarsky might have on the team.

It'll definitely be an interesting competition in the fall camp. I think that Domnarsky could be a standout long reliever, serving the same role that Nepiarsky did. I would expect him to see more work in the early part of the season than Nepiarsky did, mainly because the showing up out-of-shape incident doesn't seem to be something that many guys do.

Reaction Score
Might have been the end of a long couple of days but Rossomando struggled a tad tonight against East Lyme in the Class L semi's. Think he went 2 innings. Bunnell lost 5-4

UConn commit Chris Winkle has a HR for Amity v. Southington in Class LL semi;s. Amity up 6-3 heading into 7th

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It'll definitely be an interesting competition in the fall camp. I think that Domnarsky could be a standout long reliever, serving the same role that Nepiarsky did. I would expect him to see more work in the early part of the season than Nepiarsky did, mainly because the showing up out-of-shape incident doesn't seem to be something that many guys do.

Domnarski is also left handed, a commodity that was in short supply on the pitching staff this past season. The only lefties on the staff were Kay, and the redshirted Jack Riley. To my knowledge UConn has three lefty freshmen pitchers coming in as well. Even if one or two of these freshmen redshirt next season, having the lefties coming out of the bullpen should give Penders some nice pitching flexibility in the future.

Reaction Score
I’ve been waiting for the other shoe to drop with Max McDowell ever since Vinny Siena signed quickly with the Mets. Well, McDowell is apparently taking a slightly different path than Siena, and is not signing, at least right away, with the Milwaukee Brewers. Max has tweeted that he is heading to the Cape Cod League to play with the Bourne Braves, where former Husky teammate Jordan Tabakman is now on the coaching staff. Perhaps McDowell is hoping that some hot play in the Cape Cod League will get him a better deal with the Brewers, or perhaps he intends to return to UConn in the hopes of improving his draft position in next year’s draft. We shall see what happens, but I do think that McDowell has more upside to his draft potential if he does comes back to UConn next season than Siena would have had. The deadline for draftees to sign and go pro is July 17, so we don’t have that long to wait.

Reaction Score
carsoncross4312:23pm via Twitter for iPhone
Finally a done deal. Time to get things started
CHoogs5UAAASx4G.jpg

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score

Make of that what you will.

Reaction Score
Just a reminder. Tomorrow, July 17 at 5pm is the deadline for the Milwaukee Brewers to sign Max McDowell.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
A more secure catching situation would make me feel a lot better about next season, but I'm excited to see what Max does as a pro. He's earned it. Congrats.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
A more secure catching situation would make me feel a lot better about next season, but I'm excited to see what Max does as a pro. He's earned it. Congrats.
At this point all we can do is hope that the combination of the Avery Point transfer that red shirted this year and the CT all state catcher coming in is good enough. Given that our AP transfers tend to work out decently well, I'm feeling ok about it. The offense would look a heck of a lot better with Max coming back though. Such is life with talented players.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
At this point all we can do is hope that the combination of the Avery Point transfer that red shirted this year and the CT all state catcher coming in is good enough. Given that our AP transfers tend to work out decently well, I'm feeling ok about it. The offense would look a heck of a lot better with Max coming back though. Such is life with talented players.

Here's the book on LeFevre, at least from what I've heard (my old man ran into his mother, coincidentally my former 1st grade teacher, around town and passed this info on to me): Penders recruited him out of HS and told him that his defense was DI ready, but a) they had no room for another catcher on the roster and b) the bat needed a little work. Considering that he hit .309 with a .791 OPS in his last year at AP, I don't think he'll be a huge liability with the bat but we won't be getting anywhere close to the same amount of production as McDowell gave. He graduated from my high school and I believe he captained our hockey team his senior year, so it's good that he has leadership qualities.

However, I think that given LeFevre's lack of DI game experience prior to this season, we will see more of Susi off the bat than we typically do of true freshmen. Granted we have no idea how fall camp will play out, but as we saw last year Penders liked to put Davey behind the dish to give McDowell some rest, and we don't have that luxury anymore.

Reaction Score
Good luck to Max McDowell. Let's hope he proves to be a worthy and long lasting representative of the Huskies in the pros.

Losing McDowell is a blow, but I'm optimistic that UConn will have a reasonable catching situation with Susi and Lefevre manning the catcher spot, which is more than I can say about UConn's corner outfield positions (more on that state of affairs some other time). I like what I have read about Susi, it sounds like he could be quite a player. I'm also somewhat intrigued by the redshirt Lefevre for much the same reasons that Stairmaster and Mets1090 have discussed. I'm highly encouraged by the mention of the quality of his defense. The Avery Point connection never hurts. Lefevre had two very nice years with the bat as a Pointer, and he has been hitting around .300 in the Futures League this summer. I suspect Penders must have redshirted Lefevre with the idea that McDowell might be gone after the season.

We'll see what happens behind the plate, but it wouldn't surprise me if Susi and Lefevre end up sharing playing time at catcher. It would not be the first time that happened with a Penders team. Before Max McDowell arrived on the UConn baseball scene and took over the spot, Penders got a lot of mileage splitting the catching duties between Joe Pavone and Doug Elliott.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro