Uconn Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Still no Siena or Cross. I think if it goes much longer, we can guess that Siena won't be signing.

McDowell is an interesting case. If he comes back for his senior year and puts up good power numbers he could probably vault into the top 10 rounds and earn himself a bit more cash (on top of finishing his degree). He would be a huge piece for UConn next year but I wouldn't blame him for signing. 13th round is nothing to sneeze at.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Cross to the Cardinals in the 14th round as well.

That should do it for the UConn players for a while barring any surprising picks.

Reaction Score
CHJz6LeWsAAD68d.jpg

Reaction Score
I believe 100K is the bonus money after the 10th round. Is it worth it to Sienna & McDowell to pass/delay a degree for that money less taxes & agent fees?

mets1090

Reaction Score
I believe 100K is the bonus money after the 10th round. Is it worth it to Sienna & McDowell to pass/delay a degree for that money less taxes & agent fees?
At this point I don't think you sign for the bonus money. You're doing it because you think getting into pro ball earlier increases your chances of making it to the bigs (or making it there faster). Of course solid senior years could put them both in the top 10 rounds where they could feasibly make up lost salary and then some in the additional bonus money while also finishing their degrees. Objectively I would say coming back is the right decision but I imagine it's hard to say no to pro ball given that's what you've wanted your whole life.

I remember thinking Andreoli wouldn't sign after his junior year because he wasn't drafted until the 17th round but it just goes to show that you never know.

Reaction Score
At this point I don't think you sign for the bonus money. You're doing it because you think getting into pro ball earlier increases your chances of making it to the bigs (or making it there faster). Of course solid senior years could put them both in the top 10 rounds where they could feasibly make up lost salary and then some in the additional bonus money while also finishing their degrees. Objectively I would say coming back is the right decision but I imagine it's hard to say no to pro ball given that's what you've wanted your whole life.

I remember thinking Andreoli wouldn't sign after his junior year because he wasn't drafted until the 17th round but it just goes to show that you never know.
Depends how much you like college.

mets1090

Reaction Score
One last thing here, after the 10th round there is no standard amount. While they are capped at $100k (with anything over that counting against their bonus pool), I think many players are offered far less.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Rossomando is off the board. 28th round to the Reds. They seem to like their CT prep pitchers (Sal Romano comes to mind).

mets1090

Reaction Score
Hopefully too late for him to actually sign but stranger things have happened.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Hopefully too late for him to actually sign but stranger things have happened.

Anthony Kay went in the 28th or 29th a couple of years ago, I believe. The fact that he turned down his hometown Mets makes me optimistic here.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Anthony Kay went in the 28th or 29th a couple of years ago, I believe. The fact that he turned down his hometown Mets makes me optimistic here.
I believe Kay is a Yankees fan, though you would think the chance to be local at all would be a positive regardless of which team.

Adding to the Kay argument though, he went from being a 29th pick out of high school to now being a potential 1st round pick if he has a big junior year. One would think that would be a big selling point for Rossomando.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Scafariello to the Braves in Round 38. <0.0001% chance he signs.

Reaction Score
Over the past week or two I saw an article or two that suggested that when all was said and done with the draft, that Ronnie Rossomando was likely to end up at UConn rather than go pro. I'm guessing these writers must have gotten this feeling either from Rossomando himself or from people who knew him. At any rate, this feeling might have reached major league baseball clubs as well, and it might very well have affected Rossomando's draft position to the point that he lasted until Round 28. After all why waste a good pick on someone who wasn't going pro? Anyway, lasting as long as he did probably increases the likelihood that he will indeed end up in Storrs.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Over the past week or two I saw an article or two that suggested that when all was said and done with the draft, that Ronnie Rossomando was likely to end up at UConn rather than go pro. I'm guessing these writers must have gotten this feeling either from Rossomando himself or from people who knew him. At any rate, this feeling might have reached major league baseball clubs as well, and it might very well have affected Rossomando's draft position to the point that he lasted until Round 28. After all why waste a good pick on someone who wasn't going pro? Anyway, lasting as long as he did probably increases the likelihood that he will indeed end up in Storrs.

And what a boon this is for the team next year. I can definitely see him stepping into one of the Tuesday/Thursday slots with little difficulty, maybe even pushing Montgomerie for the Sunday starter role.

Reaction Score
And what a boon this is for the team next year. I can definitely see him stepping into one of the Tuesday/Thursday slots with little difficulty, maybe even pushing Montgomerie for the Sunday starter role.

My guesses at this point for starters would be Kay, Zapata, and Nepiarsky on the weekends, with Rossomando the first weekday starter and Montgomerie the second. I'm also interested to see what role Domnarsky might have on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom