UConn Dominates ESPY's for Women's Basketball. | The Boneyard

UConn Dominates ESPY's for Women's Basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Hope everyone takes the time to vote. Both teams gave us a lot last year and it would be nice to give them something back.

You can vote daily until July 16th. You can close out your browser after you vote and go back and vote again too.

T

TroyHouse66

jc...56
<<Maybe Muffet and company will do better next year, I'm sure they can attend and clap.>>
I think it is in very poor taste to point fingers, purposely or unwittingly, at the Clap Challenged amongst us. [Wouldn't it be more tasteful to display fingers, rather than pointing, at these unfortunate individuals?]

It would also be far more compassionate that we recognize & commiserate with the plight of those Balanced Challenged citizens who seem to develop the Full Length Obstruction Protection syndrome (F.L.O.P.) when confronted with superior individual basketball play.
[A National Athletic Collision Code fund should be established to provide diagnosed F.L.O.P.ers with head, knee, elbow, and keister pads. (Especially the latter two, when those players can not differentiate between them.)]

G

genosguy

Maybe Muffet and company will do better next year, I'm sure they can attend and clap.
Muffett who I once thought as a Class Act has fallen from my tree of people who act properly even when the situation is emotionally tough . I doubt that Geno and Christine would allow their team from attending the celebration of National Championship. This wasn't about UConn nor Notre Dame it was about WOMEN'S BASKETBALL BEING CELEBRATED. Her dismissal of the ceremony shows she is only for Muffet and WBB can go hang... Muffet you are not longer one of my top 10 coaches

Reaction Score
Muffett who I once thought as a Class Act has fallen from my tree of people who act properly even when the situation is emotionally tough . I doubt that Geno and Christine would allow their team from attending the celebration of National Championship. This wasn't about UConn nor Notre Dame it was about WOMEN'S BASKETBALL BEING CELEBRATED. Her dismissal of the ceremony shows she is only for Muffet and WBB can go hang... Muffet you are not longer one of my top 10 coaches
Geno and CD would never do that. In fact, when they are on the road and it's the hosting team's senior night, he makes sure his team is on the bench clapping for the opposing seniors. There was an interview with Geno, I forget where I heard it, maybe it was the Geno Show, and the interviewer asked him about why he keeps his team out there to watch someone else's senior night. Geno said he does that out of respect, and wants his team to show respect to their fellow graduating student-athletes even if they wear a different jersey.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
From the New Haven register a few years ago:

When Rutgers honored seniors Kia Vaughn and Heather Zurich as well as three student managers before the game, UConn coach Geno Auriemma made certain the entire team was sitting on the bench rather than finding sanctuary in the locker room as many opposing teams do during "Senior Night" festivities. It was not a coincidence that the Huskies were out on the court taking in the ceremony.

"The players know who they are, they have shared four years and played against them," Auriemma said. "It's a big deal. I don't know why teams go hide in the locker room and pretend it's not happening. I am always interested in how kids react, the emotions involved. I want my players to see it too. It's a sign of respect too, you don't turn your back and walk away on people that are celebrating something."

Reaction Score
Geno and CD would never do that. In fact, when they are on the road and it's the hosting team's senior night, he makes sure his team is on the bench clapping for the opposing seniors. There was an interview with Geno, I forget where I heard it, maybe it was the Geno Show, and the interviewer asked him about why he keeps his team out there to watch someone else's senior night. Geno said he does that out of respect, and wants his team to show respect to their fellow graduating student-athletes even if they wear a different jersey.
Yea, when Pat retired WCBB lost a lot of class at top, right?

G

genosguy

Yea, when Pat retired WCBB lost a lot of class at top, right?
During the most recent WBB National Championship, Doris Burke eluded to the comment by Muffet and had this to say: Doris knows of no one who has acted with class or "comported" himself and his team with more class.
I've had problems with Geno's politically charged comments--other than that, I know that Geno and Christine had demanded of their TEAMS that they present themselves in a proper manner no matter the surroundings. Then there's this: EVERY Geno team has given back to the community (state, town, nation) way beyond what anyone knows--he makes sure most of that GIVING is done without press coverage. Going to Walter Reed or Bethesda Naval Hospital (before they were combined) and visiting the horribly wounded Soldier, Sailors, Airmen or Marines--Coventry got a Spaghetti dinner for the town, hosted by the UConn Team, when they had weather related problems. How about the text books and other educational materials Geno gives at half time in Gampel? Uconn has a large horn to toot but never for the good works they do..

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
genosguy - as you must know, most EVERY program gives back to the community. Just because we don't hear about them doesn't mean they don't happened. I would hate for UConn fans to assume a sense of superiority for actions off the court what are simply "par for athletics across the board."

Now, their actions ON the court! No issue there!!! :)

G

genosguy

genosguy - as you must know, most EVERY program gives back to the community. Just because we don't hear about them doesn't mean they don't happened. I would hate for UConn fans to assume a sense of superiority for actions off the court what are simply "par for athletics across the board."

You are so right many teams (not all) do some level of good works---yet the quality and quantity and frequency of "good works" in my book puts them heads above most other programs. On a daily (or Dailey) basis they are reminded to dress properly, carry themselves properly, and always be welcoming of fans, be deferent to their elderly fans. Hold the doors, stand aside, be respectful. These are qualities all UConn WBB players are expected project all the time---I find these qualities rarer among many other WBB teams--Yep they have earned the "sense of superiority" in matters of manners and respect.

G

genosguy

Uconn WBB teams actions ON the court : Have you ever seen a Uconn player: 1) argue with the Refs 2) Disrespect the opposing team even while (Rutgers) being called the dirtiest of names or Dukies Crazies calling names 3) Tripping an opposing coach (Syracuse) 4) Taking an opponent down with meanness (Stanford/Rutger Prince) Louisville Reed trying to take out Dolson 4) on the "receiving line" ever engage in abusive words or physical actions I could go on an on---Uconn is held in check by Christine and Geno and are taught how to be the best person they can be. Yep I love and respect these teams of Geno and Christine

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The team is gathering in LA for tomorrow night's ESPY's show. I'm sure we'll see some red carpet photos.

Reaction Score
Uconn WBB teams actions ON the court : Have you ever seen a Uconn player: 1) argue with the Refs 2) Disrespect the opposing team even while (Rutgers) being called the dirtiest of names or Dukies Crazies calling names 3) Tripping an opposing coach (Syracuse) 4) Taking an opponent down with meanness (Stanford/Rutger Prince) Louisville Reed trying to take out Dolson 4) on the "receiving line" ever engage in abusive words or physical actions I could go on an on---Uconn is held in check by Christine and Geno and are taught how to be the best person they can be. Yep I love and respect these teams of Geno and Christine
Yes. Diana Taurasi. She did "stupid D stuff" as Geno called it during her college career.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Yes. Diana Taurasi. She did "stupid D stuff" as Geno called it during her college career.

Like the time she punched the stanchion padding with Tennessee written on it after making a shot & being fouled - ya gotta love that kid!

Reaction Score
Like the time she punched the stanchion padding with Tennessee written on it after making a shot & being fouled - ya gotta love that kid!
Sounds like something D would do. Her first T didn't come in the WNBA.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1) I've seen a couple (Dolson in particular) complain about fouls.
4) I've seen Shea level an opponent with her forearm....to send a message. Bam Bam was known for being an enforcer too.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
HoopsFan21 said:

And after some of these antics Geno benched her appropriately.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
The team is gathering in LA for tomorrow night's ESPY's show. I'm sure we'll see some red carpet photos.

stewie dressed up.jpg

What an awesome experience for the team, especially the freshman...in L.A. for the ESPY's..!! Future recruits take notice...;) Just another benefit/difference...:rolleyes:
Good luck to nominees...Go Huskies..!!

Edit -
Best Female Athlete
Maya Moore – WNBA
Moore was named the 2013 WNBA Finals MVP for the Minnesota Lynx, averaging 20 points per game in a three-game sweep of the Atlanta Dream. Moore was the top three-point shooter in the regular season at 45.3 percent and scored 18.8 points per game, third in the league.

Breanna Stewart – WCBB
Stewart led the UConn women’s basketball team to their second national title in a row and in doing so won her second consecutive Final Four Most Outstanding Player award. Stewart led the team in points per game (19.4) and rebounds per game (8.1) and in the national title game scored 21 points (18 in the paint) to lead the Huskies.

Best Team
UConn Women’s Basketball – WCBB
The Connecticut Huskies are one of eight teams to finish the season undefeated after their 40-0 season. The Huskies finished the season outscoring opponents by 34.3 points per game while holding opponents to just 47.8 points per game. Along with Breanna Stewart, Bria Hartley was second on the team with 16.2 points per game and center Stephanie Dolson scored 17 points and grabbed 16 rebounds in the Huskies national title win over Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are so right many teams (not all) do some level of good works---yet the quality and quantity and frequency of "good works" in my book puts them heads above most other programs. On a daily (or Dailey) basis they are reminded to dress properly, carry themselves properly, and always be welcoming of fans, be deferent to their elderly fans. Hold the doors, stand aside, be respectful. These are qualities all UConn WBB players are expected project all the time---I find these qualities rarer among many other WBB teams--Yep they have earned the "sense of superiority" in matters of manners and respect.

Rebecca Lobo still tells the story of her freshman year at a fan fest event and RL made a snotty comment about the clinging fans and Geno & CD jumped down her throat, saying "never disrespect the people that faithfully support you all the time! The fans are the reason the program can grow!" CD especially has kept the girls heads screwed on straight by making sure respect is given to fans, opponents, media etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom