UCONN Cost of Attendance Stipend: $3,350 | The Boneyard

UCONN Cost of Attendance Stipend: $3,350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is twice the amount offered by either BC ($1,400), USC ($1,580), and Syracuse ($1,632). All three of these schools represent the bottom three in D1 for cost of attendance stipends. In fact all of the bottom 5 schools are private schools. (http://www.ctpost.com/sports/articl...stay-competitive-in-6472408.php#photo-8542649)

The top 5 schools are all public universities. The top 5 are:

1. Tennessee (SEC) $5,666

2. Auburn (SEC) $5,586

3. Louisville (ACC)$5,202

4. Mississippi State (SEC)$5,126

5. Texas Tech (Big 12)$5,100

My take is that these figures bode well for UCONN. Yes the difference between 5k and say 2k may not really be a big factor in a kid's decision in choosing the right school, but these cost of attendance figures are only the beginning. I am certain that these figures will continually increase and that private schools will continue to lag behind public universities.

In addition to the generally better position publics are in when it comes to offering stipends, UCONN compares incredibly well against other big time public schools who are in P-5 conferences. For example Ohio State stipend in only $2, 602; University of Alabama is $2,892; Arizona is $3,300.

Once we get into a P-5 conference I would expect our cost of attendance stipend to be one of the largest in the country; hopefully we are hammering this message out to the P-5 conferences.

Here is a Syracuse article where you can already sense the panic setting in for their athletic program's long term well being: http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/4...ng-lowest-in-power-five-conference-acc-orange

Here is a link for those who are interested in looking at a list of the other school's stipend figures: http://chronicle.com/article/At-Lea...9?hootPostID=a21861dd31ff9e2df39fe9bf0734e411

This is another development as to why I like our chances of getting into a P-5 conference sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
UCONN is in good shape when you look at flagship state University's. I'm surprised at the low numbers for Michigan, Michigan St and OSU compared to PSU and Wisconsin.

Reaction Score
I'm not all that familiar with the concept of cost of attendance. Knew it was being implemented but didn't know the specifics, so this may sound stupid but...

I assumed that it would be standardized for all schools. I didn't know the range would be as big as the numbers stated above.

A few questions I have for those who are more informed:
Are those amounts for each year or for the length of their college careers? Any idea how the schools calculate the CoA?

Reaction Score
I'm not all that familiar with the concept of cost of attendance. Knew it was being implemented but didn't know the specifics, so this may sound stupid but...

I assumed that it would be standardized for all schools. I didn't know the range would be as big as the numbers stated above.

A few questions I have for those who are more informed:
Are those amounts for each year or for the length of their college careers? Any idea how the schools calculate the CoA?

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...tendance-numbers-increasing-stipends-athletes

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Th

2. Auburn (SEC) $5,586

Highest cost of attendance in some of the lowest cost of living areas of the country. Nothing to see here. Start your graphing calculators. If only you could invest in the "COA Index Fund."

Reaction Score
WTF, Auburn just gained a recruiting advantage against their biggest rival. Looks like Tide boosters are going to have to step their game up.

Reaction Score
That is twice the amount offered by either BC ($1,400), USC ($1,580), and Syracuse ($1,632). All three of these schools represent the bottom three in D1 for cost of attendance stipends. In fact all of the bottom 5 schools are private schools. (http://www.ctpost.com/sports/articl...stay-competitive-in-6472408.php#photo-8542649)

2. Auburn (SEC) $5,586

My take is that these figures bode well for UCONN. Yes the difference between 5k and say 2k may not really be a big factor in a kid's decision in choosing the right school, but these cost of attendance figures are only the beginning. I am certain that these figures will continually increase and that private schools will continue to lag behind public universities.

In addition to the generally better position publics are in when it comes to offering stipends, UCONN compares incredibly well against other big time public schools who are in P-5 conferences. For example Ohio State stipend in only $2, 602; University of Alabama is $2,892; Arizona is $3,300.

Once we get into a P-5 conference I would expect our cost of attendance stipend to be one of the largest in the country; hopefully we are hammering this message out to the P-5 conferences.

Here is a Syracuse article where you can already sense the panic setting in for their athletic program's long term well being: http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/4...ng-lowest-in-power-five-conference-acc-orange

Here is a link for those who are interested in looking at a list of the other school's stipend figures: http://chronicle.com/article/At-Lea...9?hootPostID=a21861dd31ff9e2df39fe9bf0734e411

This is another development as to why I like our chances of getting into a P-5 conference sooner rather than later.
Hope you are right about our getting into one of the P5.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That actually seems awfully low to me.

Reaction Score
How can Bama produce this stipend with a straight face? They have to be providing more money than that.

I suspect that football training facilities will have lots of extras in them for kids to take. They'll have even more grab and go snacks, drinks, protein bars etc. They may also have "coupons" for free pizza at Dominos or a burrito at Moe's. There are probably ways to provide appealing benefits to players without it being in cash form. Those perks could be partially or fully funded by the business providing the coupon. At a place like Alabama you can probably pick up a voucher for a Bentley or even a Hyundai.

Reaction Score
How can Bama produce this stipend with a straight face? They have to be providing more money than that.

I suspect that football training facilities will have lots of extras in them for kids to take. They'll have even more grab and go snacks, drinks, protein bars etc. They may also have "coupons" for free pizza at Dominos or a burrito at Moe's. There are probably ways to provide appealing benefits to players without it being in cash form. Those perks could be partially or fully funded by the business providing the coupon. At a place like Alabama you can probably pick up a voucher for a Bentley or even a Hyundai.
They are. The link doesn't account for envelopes handed out by boosters.

Reaction Score
Cincy paying 6k vs. what Ohio State pays? These #s just don't seem right to me, but I guess I don't understand what goes into this. Seems to me like a recruiting advantage when Cincy and Auburn can pay so much vs their in state rivals.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Cincy paying 6k vs. what Ohio State pays? These #s just don't seem right to me, but I guess I don't understand what goes into this. Seems to me like a recruiting advantage when Cincy and Auburn can pay so much vs their in state rivals.
Cincy will never beat OSU straight-up for a football recruit, I don't care what the pocket money difference is.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
UCONN is in good shape when you look at flagship state University's. I'm surprised at the low numbers for Michigan, Michigan St and OSU compared to PSU and Wisconsin.

A couple of things. The B1G schools compete against the best schools in America for students. But their tuition is sky high.

Take Michigan. Tuition is around $15k. Then fees another $2k. Then room&board is $12k. So kids are looking at $29k instate to go there. Now you're going to show them the cost-of-attendance in addition? You're going to scare them away.

UConn is in somewhat the same boat. Too much competition for students in the state to jack up COA. It's a bad look.

The SEC just doesn't seem to compete for students at the same levels.

Also, UConn's overall # is very high, which signals UConn intends to pay all athletes. Some of these schols are obviously not intending that (Cincy) or their numbers would be much higher.

Reaction Score
Cincy will never beat OSU straight-up for a football recruit, I don't care what the pocket money difference is.
I'm sure they have. Cincy recruits at a decent level every year.

Reaction Score
That didn't take long did it? Leaving this up to the individual schools will be an absolute arms race. You think its an accident Cincy wants to be #1, in what they could offer for COA, in this conference they are trying to get out from? Entice the best available recruits with the highest COA stipends, put forth a dominating team in this conference and get the hell out of dodge. Folks at UConn better smell the coffee on this.

pj

Reaction Score
If they can pay more to out of state students, you'll see Georgia players going to Alabama and Alabama players going to Georgia -- same distance travel, but an extra $1200. That's a good trade for Alabama.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they have. Cincy recruits at a decent level every year.

Yep, and it shows in their results. It helps a lot getting kids from southern states like Florida, Georgia, etc. and they have gotten some good kids who may have been borderline sec guys to come up north. Results, wins, bowls and more folks in the stands, Win/win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom