UConn, Cincy, BYU, Boise St. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn, Cincy, BYU, Boise St.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Notre Dame came oh so close...no TO's for 29 minutes than turn it over in the final seconds.

Kentucky had a go to play...the big man under the basket doing his pivot hook shot. The Irish could not defend that play in the final three minutes.

I was surprised to see the Wildcats playing a near seven footer like a point guard...bringing the ball up into the half court and setting the offense. Scary length and talent for Ky.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame came oh so close...no TO's for 29 minutes than turn it over in the final seconds.

Kentucky had a go to play...the big man under the basket doing his pivot hook shot. The Irish could not defend that play in the final three minutes.

I was surprised to see the Wildcats playing a near seven footer like a point guard...bringing the ball up into the half court and setting the offense. Scary length and talent for Ky.

The Irish could not defend that play all day.

Reaction Score
It's time for UConn to lead the charge in creating a new conference with the other most valuable FBS schools that are not in a P5 conference. Take a page out of the Big 12 playbook and realize that smaller can be more valuable. We need to be on the phone with Cincy, BYU, and Boise St. right now. Don't even talk about travel not being idea. We really can't worry about that right now. Fat needs to be trimmed. We can't afford to associate with certain schools that we are stuck with now. Our best bet, considering no more P5 Expansion for a while:

UConn
Cincinnati
BYU
Boise St.
Memphis
SMU
UCF
UNLV

UConn, Cincy, BYU, Boise St. and UCF have appeared in BCS, or equivelent, bowl games with Boise and UCF both winning the ones they played in. BYU has a legit National Title and SMU has a really old one and 2 claimed. In hoops, the conference is no slouch. UConn has 4 NCAA championships, UNLV has 1, Cincy is recognized with 2. Really, the only 2 weak hoops programs are UCF and Boise St., and Boise is improving. We need to do something. I think this is one option that I haven't really seen proposed before. We can start over and try to negotiate a more valuable TV deal with a more focused product. I think these are the 8 most marketable brands left outside the P5.

After all the effort to set up the American after the initial, BSU, SDSU initiative, it is crazy to break up the AAC now. They have been waiting three years for Navy and now can finally have a play off. It is surprising that you left off Houston and USF and especially ECU who regularly knocks off P5 schools in football. Like Dooley said, the AAC should creatively work with BYU, Boise, SDSU, Air Force and Colorado state but the idea of breaking up the AAC and parts of the Mountain West Conference would only lead to more chaos and confusion.

When UCONN wins it's 10th Women's basketball championship, the National media attention may be too much to ignore. The ACC is currently far and away the best Women's Basketball conference with Louisville, Notre Dame, NC, NC State and Duke. Adding UCONN would be huge. If by some chance Notre Dame becomes a full fledged member, adding UCONN will be a no brainer. On the other hand, adding UCONN to the Big 10 would boost their women's and men's bball programs as well.

A 10th National Championship and 3 in a row is without question a dynasty. I realize it's women's bball but in this day and age promoting women's athletic's seems to be the politically correct thing to do. You know the whole equality thing.
Don't be surprised if Gino and the girls provide the impetus for further realignment.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of women's basketball but I do think it is just as important as the men's in terms of giving girls the opportunity to earn an education and play on TV. The B1G could certainly use UCONN to boost its conference. I am not sure Papa Geno is helping the cause by trashing the men's game though.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised Marshall doesn't get more play. Really strong football program, and a known brand. Basketball is garbage, and that market doesn't seem to have much value, but it just seems like it's a team that people might pay attention to in football.

Reaction Score
After all the effort to set up the American after the initial, BSU, SDSU initiative, it is crazy to break up the AAC now. They have been waiting three years for Navy and now can finally have a play off. It is surprising that you left off Houston and USF and especially ECU who regularly knocks off P5 schools in football. Like Dooley said, the AAC should creatively work with BYU, Boise, SDSU, Air Force and Colorado state but the idea of breaking up the AAC and parts of the Mountain West Conference would only lead to more chaos and confusion.

When UCONN wins it's 10th Women's basketball championship, the National media attention may be too much to ignore. The ACC is currently far and away the best Women's Basketball conference with Louisville, Notre Dame, NC, NC State and Duke. Adding UCONN would be huge. If by some chance Notre Dame becomes a full fledged member, adding UCONN will be a no brainer. On the other hand, adding UCONN to the Big 10 would boost their women's and men's bball programs as well.

A 10th National Championship and 3 in a row is without question a dynasty. I realize it's women's bball but in this day and age promoting women's athletic's seems to be the politically correct thing to do. You know the whole equality thing.
Don't be surprised if Gino and the girls provide the impetus for further realignment.

It sounds silly to say that women's basketball could drive CR, but consider this.

One of the arguments against adding UConn to the B1G is that we don't generate enough interest or viewership. The B1G grabbed Rutgers because of TV viewership in NJ and NYC (we can argue the validity of Rutgers's ownership of NYC, but that's the story) and the ability to market the B1G Network.

Even though UConn has an abysmal football program, the B1G Network would get massive viewership in CT if it showed women's (and men's) basketball. Does it matter which sport draws the eyeballs?

On the other hand, if the B1G is worried about their national TV deal with ESPN or whoever, the fact that we don't move the needle in football will still weigh us down.

Reaction Score
It sounds silly to say that women's basketball could drive CR, but consider this.

One of the arguments against adding UConn to the B1G is that we don't generate enough interest or viewership. The B1G grabbed Rutgers because of TV viewership in NJ and NYC (we can argue the validity of Rutgers's ownership of NYC, but that's the story) and the ability to market the B1G Network.

Even though UConn has an abysmal football program, the B1G Network would get massive viewership in CT if it showed women's (and men's) basketball. Does it matter which sport draws the eyeballs?

On the other hand, if the B1G is worried about their national TV deal with ESPN or whoever, the fact that we don't move the needle in football will still weigh us down.
One could argue that adding UCONN Women's Basketball draws eyeballs from all around the country when they play Duke, UNC, Baylor, Oklahoma, Tenn, S. Carolina, Stanford...and yes, ND. The key to CR!

Reaction Score

I don't think the argument has ever been about whether Uconn Basketball is a good television draw or not. They have proven for over a decade that they are. I think it is more about whether a UConn Addition to The B1G would add to the per school payout or detract from it. Everything else is window dressing.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I am not sure Papa Geno is helping the cause by trashing the men's game though.

Stop it. Did you listen to his next sentence in that interview? He said the womens game was even worse.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of women's basketball but I do think it is just as important as the men's in terms of giving girls the opportunity to earn an education and play on TV. The B1G could certainly use UCONN to boost its conference. I am not sure Papa Geno is helping the cause by trashing the men's game though.
He comments make no difference in CR.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Stop it. Did you listen to his next sentence in that interview? He said the womens game was even worse.
Actually, he made that comment in a second interview. In any event Bilas agreed with him. Personally, I'd prefer that college basketball not become a second NBA D league. If you are a fan of the college game you don't need the game to be as much up and down the court as the NBA.

Reaction Score
It's time for UConn to lead the charge in creating a new conference with the other most valuable FBS schools that are not in a P5 conference. Take a page out of the Big 12 playbook and realize that smaller can be more valuable. We need to be on the phone with Cincy, BYU, and Boise St. right now. Don't even talk about travel not being idea. We really can't worry about that right now. Fat needs to be trimmed. We can't afford to associate with certain schools that we are stuck with now. Our best bet, considering no more P5 Expansion for a while:

UConn
Cincinnati
BYU
Boise St.
Memphis
SMU
UCF
UNLV

UConn, Cincy, BYU, Boise St. and UCF have appeared in BCS, or equivelent, bowl games with Boise and UCF both winning the ones they played in. BYU has a legit National Title and SMU has a really old one and 2 claimed. In hoops, the conference is no slouch. UConn has 4 NCAA championships, UNLV has 1, Cincy is recognized with 2. Really, the only 2 weak hoops programs are UCF and Boise St., and Boise is improving. We need to do something. I think this is one option that I haven't really seen proposed before. We can start over and try to negotiate a more valuable TV deal with a more focused product. I think these are the 8 most marketable brands left outside the P5.
Nope...wait as long as you possibly can. B1G or ACC will 'ask'. Obviously sooner better than later. Everyone knows you don't belong in AAC. It's an adjustment period between realignments - it will be rectified.

Reaction Score
UCONN needs to have the sharpest dagger and be ready to use it on those other schools... they aren't sitting back either.

Reaction Score
Do you really think Geno Auriemma's comments matter much regarding quality of Men's BB play? On Conference realignment?

First. He is getting publicity for that FF in Tampa. All the knucklehead BB writers from all over the US have to pipe up on his comment. TWO. If UConn WBB draw ratings regularly ... far more than the NBE, then that is meaningful. Third. He can drive a LEAGUE/CONFERENCE to a high level on his Program alone. This I believe. If we go to the B1G, every school AD won't want the 50 point beatings. All of that Conference will improve & that translates into more Programming.

I don't see downside with Auriemma. It is a net positive for our advancement to a new slot. But never a game-changer. IF ... we prove (in Football) that we can create a bigger better CFB program and we are great in all the Olympic sports; and we increase the endowment & gain AAU ... blah blah blah. I think we need to push on all fronts. And we are. I can't imagine there is a University that brings more to the overall CR scheme ... except that we are clearly not a candidate for the B12 who may need some reconstruction.

Reaction Score
Do you really think Geno Auriemma's comments matter much regarding quality of Men's BB play? On Conference realignment?

Third. He can drive a LEAGUE/CONFERENCE to a high level on his Program alone. This I believe. If we go to the B1G, every school AD won't want the 50 point beatings. All of that Conference will improve & that translates into more Programming.
How many teams not named Uconn won the WBB BE conference championship in the last say 20 years of its existence? 4. And none of them did it more than once, The big losses certainly did not cause the league to raise up en mass nor, outside of Notre Dame, did it result in any sustained success. The talent pool in WBB is not deep enough to support more than 3 to 6 decent teams nationwide.

Outside of a few schools, WBB is nice little sport that does not cost too much money to fund. It is not and will never be a revenue generator and very few schools will be investing the $$ in a head coach for WBB that could go to say several quality FB assistant coaches. WBB will never be a factor let alone drive the re-alignment discussion.

Geno is one of the best things Uconn has going in re-alignment because he calls the conferences out for what they are and is one of the only people to say publicly how much Uconn's situation sucks (my interpretation of some of what he has said). He is the only person with any weight/gravitas at Uconn to say what they all should be saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom